Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Witchywoman
  • 1 Post By azoria
  • 3 Post By Novice
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By Witchywoman

Thread: Woman arrested for rescuing animals abandoned in Hurricane Florence without permit

Default Woman arrested for rescuing animals abandoned in Hurricane Florence without permit

Sunday, September 23, 2018 03:10PM

WAYNE COUNTY, North Carolina (KTRK) --
    A woman in North Carolina was arrested after trying to save pets during Hurricane Florence.

With severe flooding on the way, Tammie Hedges said she took in more than two dozen pets when their owners evacuated.

She runs an animal rescue called "Crazy's Claws 'n Paws," but had not yet finished building her shelter.

She said she took the animals in anyways so they'd have a dry place to stay.

"Their owners were just going to leave them in a flood zone on chains. We don't want that," she said.

Animal services has since taken the pets and are now trying to find their owners.

Tammie has also been charged with practicing medicine without a veterinary license.

https://abc13.com/pets-animals/woman...ermit/4320652/

I checked to see if this was the Onion, I would think they have more important things to take care of than giving an animal rescue a hard time, a very hard time. Shame on them. SMH

In the morning Im calling Wayne County Animal Services to voice a complaint, maybe you can too. https://www.waynegov.com/Directory.aspx?did=5

Staff
    Name Title Email Phone
    Sauls, Joseph Animal Services Manager Email 919-731-1439
    Benton, Wayne Shelter Supervision Email 919-731-1439 EXT 5138

jUST FOUND A GOFUNDME PAGE.

https://www.gofundme.com/tammie-hedges-legal-battle
    Last edited by Witchywoman; September 23rd, 2018 at 09:08 PM.
    azoria likes this.

Thanks Witchywoman!

I also posted the article to reddit r/news. It took 11 upvotes and 3 shadowbanned comments, and was removed from the sub in less than 10 minutes without explanation. ABC thinks it's news, and so do I.

I don't have any social media accounts (besides reddit) but spread this around in any social media contacts you all might have.

Wayne county needs to be reamed out for this abomination.
    Last edited by azoria; September 23rd, 2018 at 09:33 PM.
    Witchywoman likes this.

She is actually charged with medicating the animals without a vet license. However, the whole thing is still bullshit. She's doing a good thing. Charge the owners for abandonment.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It's been on the Yahoo news, many have picked this up. Her gofundme page is rocking it. I've tried calling twice and none of the extensions are available, not even the operator.

$40,741 of $20,000 goal

A quick search of google says

GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) - The Wayne County District Attorney's Office has dropped charges against a woman who was accused of running an illegal veterinary operation when sheltering animals during Hurricane Florence.Tammie Hedges was facing 12 counts of misdemeanor practice/attempt veterinary medicine without a license and one count of solicitation of a schedule IV controlled substance. She was charged Friday.
    Hedges took in 27 dogs and cats during Florence, housing them in a warehouse in the Rosewood community that she was in the process of converting into a shelter.
    District Attorney Matthew Delbridge released a statement that read in part:
    "It is my desire that having ensured the safety of the animals in question, a dismissal of these criminal charges will minimize further distraction from my core mission of protecting the public from violent crime and allow the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board to take whatever action they may deem appropriate.
    On Sept. 17, Wayne County Animal Services officers began investigating the well-being of those animals.
    Hedges then surrendered all of the animals that did not belong to her, officials said. Those animals have since been checked out by a licensed veterinarian.
    Some of the animals have been reunited with their owners.
    Delbridge's statement also said a passion for animals doesn't excuse putting them at risk when safer options are available.
    "The removal of animals from a building that failed to meet suitable standards for license as an animal shelter and away from the control of this defendant who has previously been censured for the unauthorized practice of veterinary medicine was a prudent decision made with the best interest of the animals in mind," the his statement said.
    Delbridge said Hedges took advantage of a dire situation and solicited money and narcotics from "our generous and well-intentioned citizens."
    Since she was initially charged on Friday, more than 10,000 people signed online petitions demanding that all charges against Hedges be dropped.

And its obviously not the first time shes been done for the vet thing.

Also giving antibiotics to an animal (either topically or intermusclery) is one thing, giving an animal tramadol is entirely another.
    However, I have reservations about the owners of the chained animals....
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Yeah, I'm torn on this one too. One, I think she is well-intentioned but giving antibiotics is on thing, tramadol is another. Maybe the officials think she's keeping the drugs for herself? She wouldn't be the first opioid addict who claims their pets are in pain to get drugs from the vet's office. I'll wait until more info comes out.

But still...those owners just abandoning their pets...
    Waterslide likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

So I can get $40,000 for breaking the law? Wtf?

Anyway, it's nice what she did compared to people leaving their dogs behind. It's not like an apartment fire or nuclear holocaust. If you can't find a way to evacuate a hurricane path with your pet, don't have one.
    greysfang likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

all charges against Ms. Hedges were dropped.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

Thread Information