Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Trixie
  • 1 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 1 Post By Mrs P

Thread: 142nd Westminster Dog Show

Default 142nd Westminster Dog Show

Herding dogs now. Grew up with a Shepherd. I don't know half of the breeds in this category but they are so different and unique. Those floor mop dogs are herding, they are adorable.

And just like in the human world....

The “best in Show” winner at the Westminster dog show, which begins tomorrow (Feb. 12), will probably be male. That’s because female dogs start out the competition at a huge disadvantage.
    Almost 1,700 male dogs will participate in this year’s competition, while just 1,220 females will compete, according to Reuters. Female winners are usually taken out of competition to breed, while males are free to continue competing.
    The prime age for competition is three- to five-years-old, which is apparently also the prime breeding age for female dogs. Last year’s winner, for instance, Rumor—a female German Shepherd—quickly retired from competition and has now littered many puppies.
    Male dogs have thus won “Best in Show” at Westminster 71 times, almost twice as many victories as females (39).
    The disparity is similar to the one in horse racing. Despite the fact that male and female horses are generally evenly matched physically, two-thirds of horse racing winners are males. They’re viewed as more commercially viable because one male horse can be used to breed many offspring. Female horses, meanwhile, can only produce one foal a year. Some owners are also scared off by their estrous cycles, which they say can make female race horses unpredictable.
    Dog handlers have a similar fear. “They’re moody,” one handler told Reuters of female dogs during their cycles, which arrive about once every six months. Many dog breeders won’t show their female dogs in competition during those cycles.
    For those unaware, the Westminster dog show judges dogs on how closely they conform to the judges’ imaginary ideal of how those breeds should look and behave. Female dogs can take solace in the fact that absolutely nothing matters less than the Westminster dog show and the entire practice, quite frankly, should be banned.

https://qz.com/1204515/westminster-k...ster-dog-show/

thanks, set my dvr, they are replaying it at 2 am. Love the herding dogs although my beloved border collies never seem to win. Except in the agility competitions, which we watched yesterday. They are so awesome!

So even the dog show world is sexist. Go figure. Dog life imitates life.
    czb likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Well it says here the Border Collie won the herding group!

Westminster Dog Show 2018 Results: Best of Breed Winners and Monday Recap

ROB GOLDBERG
    FEBRUARY 12, 2018

Mary Altaffer/Associated Press
    The 142nd Westminster Dog Show is underway with four dogs earning spots in the Best in Show competition.
    A borzoi won the hound group, a pug took home the top spot in the toy group, a Bichon Frise claimed victory in the non-sporting group and a Border collie won the herding group in the first individual competitions Monday in Madison Square Garden, New York.
    The 2018 event will conclude Tuesday with the sporting, working and terrier group battles leading to the Best in Show.

Hound
    1. Borzoi - GCHG CH Belisarius JP My Sassy Girl
    2. Bloodhound - GCH CH Quiet Creek's Limited Edition
    3. Beagle - GCH CH Windstar's Magnum Opus
    4. Whippet - GCH CH Pinnacle Tennessee Whiskey

While the hound group had plenty of competition, the win went to the favorite in the group, Lucy the borzoi.
    Here is Lucy celebrating the win, as well as the earlier victory in the breed competition:
    View image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

The dog was the runner-up at this event in 2016 behind C.J., the German shorthaired pointer. However, she appears to have a strong chance to win it all in 2018.

Magnum the beagle seemed to have won the fans' hearts, while the bloodhound was extremely competitive in the judge's eyes, but Lucy is experienced in these types of events, and it helped put her over the top for the victory.

Toy
    1. Pug - GCHS CH Hill Country's Puttin' On The Ritz
    2. Pekingese - CH Pequest Feel The Burn
    3. Affenpinschers - GCHS CH Tamarin Tailback
    4. English Toy Spaniels (King Charles & Ruby) - GCH CH Clussexx Paddington Of Flivverway

The Pekingese had dominated this group throughout the history of the show, winning the group 26 times, including last year with Chuckie. The breed won Best in Show in 2012.

Bernie the Pekingese came close to following in the footsteps of this tradition but could only manage second place with Biggie the pug taking the top spot.

Fox Sports captured the changing of the guard in this category:

Congratulations to Biggie the pug on winning the #WKCDogShow Toy Group!

The affenpinscher and one of the two English toy spaniels in the group showcased impressive temperament to finish in the top four, although it was not enough to beat out the pug.

Biggie replaced his father Rumble, who was supposed to compete in this event before dying, as the Fox Sports broadcast explained.
    A pug has only won Best in Show once in the history of this competition, but Biggie will give it his best Tuesday night.

Non-Sporting
    1. Bichon Frises - GCHP CH Belle Creek's All I Care About Is Love
    2. Poodles (Standard) - GCH Hightide Stormsurge
    3. Boston Terriers - GCH CH Sabe's Simply Invincible
    4. Keeshonden - CH Skyline Summerwind Order In The Court

A Bichon Frise hasn't earned the distinction of Best in Show since 2001, but that run could come to an end this year after Flynn carried the flag for the breed in the non-sporting group and earned first place, edging out the standard poodle and Boston terrier.
    Flynn's grooming was on point, as his fluffy coat unquestionably caught the eye:
    View image on Twitter

History isn't on Flynn's side when he looks to the next stage of the competition. In addition to the big drought for Bichon Frises, a dog from the non-sporting group last won Best in Show in 2002, when Spice the miniature poodle reigned supreme.

Herding

1. Border Collie - GCHP CH Majestic Elite Clever Endeavor
    2. Cardigan Welsh Corgis - GCHP2 CH Aubrey's Tails Of Mystery
    3. Old English Sheepdog - GCHB CH Bugaboo's Let It Go Blu Mtn
    4. Pyrenean Shepherd - GCHG CH Eclipse De La Petite Ferme De Wihr

Never before has a Border collie gone on to win Best in Show at the Westminster Dog Show. Slick still has some work to do, but he's at least halfway to making history after winning the herding group to close out Monday night.
    Slick exemplified grace under pressure as he showed off for the judge:

The Herding Group belongs to Slick the Border Collie!

Congratulations to all of tonight's #WKCDogShow group winners. Coverage continues tomorrow at 8:00 PM ET on @FS1, culminating in Best in Show!

Should Slick ultimately prevail, it would be one of the biggest upsets ever at Westminster. Rumor the German shepherd represented the herding group in 2017 and wound up winning Best in Show, but the only other win for the group came in 1987, which was also a German shepherd.

Westminster Dog Show 2018 Results: Best of Breed Winners and Monday Recap | Bleacher Report

Slick has his work cut out for him if he's to become the third dog to enter that group.

Trixie likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

dammit, i just checked my dvr and it didn't record!!! so i missed it.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I totally want a Borzoi. I also love Salukis. Unfortantely I made an arrangement with Mr P that he gets to choose our first dog breed and I got to choose the car.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Thread Information