Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By Trixie
  • 1 Post By Nevan
  • 1 Post By VeraGemini
  • 1 Post By Nevan

Thread: I bit hooman. I good boy. Why no biscuit?

Default I bit hooman. I good boy. Why no biscuit?

Texas police dog loses badge after attacking two innocent people

By Carol Christian, Chron.com / Houston Chronicle
    Updated 10:32 pm, Thursday, March 16, 2017

Rico, a 3-year-old Belgian Malinois, has been removed from service after biting two innocent people in his first two weeks on the job at the Bay City Police Department, March 2017.

After years of having a K-9 unit, the Bay City Police Department is in no hurry to replace its latest dog, which bit two innocent bystanders in its first two weeks.
    One bite victim, a woman who was buying coffee at a convenience store on her way to work, remained Thursday at Houston's Memorial Hermann Hospital, three days after the incident Monday in Bay City, about 70 miles southwest of Houston.

The 3-year-old Belgian Malinois named Rico started working for the department on March 1 and bit a city employee that day, said Lt. Irene Kjergaard, Bay City Police Department spokesperson.
    Bay City purchased Rico from US K9 Unlimited in Kaplan, La., which has trained more than 5,000 teams of police dogs and handlers in 28 years of business, owner Roger Abshire said Thursday.

Abshire said he couldn't speculate on what happened in the two bite incidents, but could vouch for the dog.
    "All I can tell you is Rico is a great dog," Abshire said. "He was trained properly and is a very social dog. We don't put out unsocial dogs."

US K9 Unlimited prides itself on hand-picking superior dogs and providing excellent training, he said.
    Bay City's first bite incident with Rico happened at the city warehouse, where a worker who is afraid of dogs ran when she saw him, Kjergaard said.

"He took off after her," Kjergaard said. The employee received treatment for the bite wound and was released, she said.
    At that point, Rico got a week of remedial training with a local trainer who is certified in working with police dogs and did very well, responding appropriately to all commands, Kjergaard said.

On Monday, Rico and his handler were setting out for a trip to Louisiana for a previously scheduled training when they stopped at a gas station.
    "The handler opened the door to make sure the dog had enough water for the trip," Kjergaard said. "He reached in to adjust something and the dog got out."

That's when Rico attacked and seriously injured Jocelyn Amtower, who was getting her morning coffee.
    "We were just shocked," Kjergaard said of Rico's inappropriate aggression, which his predecessors never exhibited.

The dog he replaced, Kim, also came from US K9 Unlimited and served the department well for six years, Kjergaard said.
    Rico has gone back to US K9 Unlimited and has not returned to service.
    "As for our department, we've postponed getting a new dog for now," Kjergaad said.

Texas police dog loses badge after attacking two innocent people - Houston Chronicle
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Yikes!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Wow, that sucks ... the amount of training that went into that dog. I'm glad they took him out of service and I hope the bitten people are okay. I've never heard of the breed. He's beautiful, but looks like a tough animal. I wouldn't want that coming after me.

Sounds to me the doggy is a bit too excited to do his job.

"Oh she's running! Must be a bad person. I'm on it master, biting that ass on her!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Wow, that sucks ... the amount of training that went into that dog. I'm glad they took him out of service and I hope the bitten people are okay. I've never heard of the breed. He's beautiful, but looks like a tough animal. I wouldn't want that coming after me.
    Our scout troop toured a police station once and they said their dogs were trained in the Czech Republic and cost $15,000 each....
    Waterslide likes this.

All I can think is I hope he doesn't get put down.
    Waterslide and robertmarilyn like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Poor doggy. I mean poor hoomans, too, I guess, but it sounds like he got excited. Even with training, I'd imagine dogs can get excitable and I don't think he should be put down for one mistake. I mean, I don't know if Rico should be returning to duty, but maybe he'd be a good watch dog

I think Belgian Malinois are kind of common for police dogs now?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I would hope K9 would have different rules. I mean, they're trained to be more aggressive as part of their job. Any dog can "go" bad. I hope he's sent off to a big farm. I would hate their training to be held against them. Sometimes K9s just don't work out, like this poor fella. Total empathy for the victims, I just don't think is so cut and dry as a regular aggressive dog that bites/attacks someone. Surely, he shouldn't go back into service, but I hope he can live out his life somewhere else.

I'm going to have to go look up the breed. They look like a bigger, sturdier version of a German Shepard (which I think are beautiful dogs). In the town I live in, we have a K9 training setup at the local PD (it's a couple acres). I'm fairly certain they are trained with off site trainers, then after they are matched with a K9 officer when they get here. I often watch the training and these dogs are amazing. We have a really heavy presence of K-9 units here, for whatever reason. From what I can tell, they use German Shepards exclusively.
    Waterslide likes this.

I remember reading that police departments like Belgian Malinois dogs because on average, the breed is a little faster than a German Shepherd.

He doesn't have the temperment to be a police dog, obviously, but I hope he winds up some place he can be a good dog.
    Waterslide likes this.

As a child I was bitten by a police dog. My parents friend was a K9 cop; I went over to their house and the German Shepherd K9 bit me on the thigh. I wasn't doing anything but standing on their patio. I have been terrified of German Shepherds and police dogs since. I know they are highly trained but after that I have to wonder.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

I know the dog lovers will be coming for me but I think that dogs who have bitten people should be euthanised. The risk is just too great.

Normally, I would agree with you wholeheartedly, but this is a K9. They have a whole different kind of training, that involves exactly what he did (wrongly) to the victims. I think he got a little overzealous from his training. Many, many K9s retire to their police handlers and a lot of them have bitten or attacked (correctly) in their careers, but have no problem adapting to their retirement. Should this dog be put back into service? No way. But I think he deserves another chance with a retired, different life.
    Sassiness likes this.

Thread Information