Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 1 Post By Chalet
  • 1 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 1 Post By yanna
  • 1 Post By Nevan

Thread: Kelsey is a good girl! Yes she is! Who wants a biscuit?

Default Kelsey is a good girl! Yes she is! Who wants a biscuit?

Dog saves injured man from freezing to death

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 5:24 PM ESTUpdated: Jan 11, 2017 5:24 PM ESTBy CBS News

A Michigan man says his dog saved his life after he slipped and fell in 20-degree weather on New Year’s Eve.

Kelsey the Golden Retriever

What was supposed to be a night of celebrations quickly turned into a nightmare for a northern Michigan man as he laid helpless in the snow for nearly 20 hours on New Year’s Eve.
    About an hour before the big countdown, Bob ran out of his house in pajamas and slippers to grab another log for his fireplace when he slipped and fell, breaking his neck.
    He tried to scream for help, but the only one who heard his cry was his Golden Retriever, Kelsey.
    “I was screaming for help but my nearest neighbor is about a quarter mile away and it was 10:30 p.m., but my Kelsey came,” explained Bob, according to a statement sent to CBS News by McLaren Northern Michigan hospital. “By morning my voice was gone and I couldn’t yell for help, but Kelsey didn’t stop barking.”
    The temperature dipped to 24 degrees as Bob laid paralyzed in the snow, Kelsey still barking by his side. The dog prevented Bob from falling victim to hypothermia by laying on top of him and licking his face and hands to keep him awake.
    “She kept barking for help but never left my side,” Bob said. “She kept me warm and alert. I knew I had to persevere through this and that it was my choice to stay alive.”
    Eventually, he lost consciousness. But the silence didn’t stop Kelsey from barking, and eventually the dog’s efforts paid off.
    The next day, Bob’s neighbor found him and called 911.
    By the time he arrived at the McLaren Northern Michigan Emergency Department in Petoskey, Michigan, he was hypothermic — with a core body temperature under 70 degrees Fahrenheit, the hospital told CBS News.
    “I was surprised to find out that I didn’t have any frostbite,” Bob said. “I am sure it was because of Kelsey’s determination.”
    Chaim Colen, a neurosurgeon at McLaren Northern Michigan, immediately performed spinal decompression surgery on Bob, which was a complete success. Bob still has a long road of recovery, and hours of physical therapy, ahead of him, but thanks to his dog and doctor, he knows he’ll be just fine.
    “I’m so thankful for my two heroes,” Bob said. “Kelsey kept me warm, alert and never stopped barking for help. Dr. Colen saved my life and ability to move. They are truly heroes and I will be eternally grateful.”
    Dog saves injured man from freezing to death - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Dogs are awesome.
    pwry likes this.

Sweet girl.
    pwry likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I think it's really sweet that he thanked his dog and his doctor. Go Kelsey! She's amazing!
    Fran2 likes this.

I love stories where animals save people!! Warms my heart!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

It's amazing ... the instinct some animals have to protect humans.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

"Man's Best Friend" indeed!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

it's so touching. dogs rule.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Thread Information