• 1 Post By dexter7
  • 3 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 1 Post By Nevan
  • 3 Post By o0Amber0o
  • 4 Post By Trixie
  • 1 Post By KrisNine

Thread: Indianapolis Passes Weather Ordinance for Outdoor Pets

Default Indianapolis Passes Weather Ordinance for Outdoor Pets

Indianapolis Passes New Law To Stop Dog Parents From Leaving Their Pets Out In The Cold

February 8, 2016 Animals

It happens every winter – animal control and police departments across the country are kept busy with calls about dogs being left outside as the temperature drop. Concerned citizens make the calls, worried about the pets’ safety. Sometimes, they are too late and the dogs freeze to death. And while sometimes it is deliberate neglect, most times, officials say, it’s a case of “I didn’t know any better,” “I though their fur kept them warm enough,” or “he didn’t seem to want to come inside.”

Whatever the reason, the end result is still a tragic one. After receiving “call after call” about dog being left outside, the Indianapolis Animal Care and Control in Indianapolis, Indiana has decided to do something about it – they put in place new ordinances to that tell pet owners when they need to bring their animals inside.
    “I think a lot of people that we see out here do have the best interest for their animals,” Officer Alex Shaefer told Fox News. “They do obviously care for their animals, but they may just not know how much the cold weather can affect them.”

Well, the new ordinance is leaving no question on that account, or a few others. The 3 page document say you must bring your dog inside when:

• The outside temperature is 20 degrees Fahrenheit or below
    • There’s a wind-chill warning
    • The outside temperature is 90 degrees Fahrenheit or above
    • There’s a heat advisory
    • A tornado warning has been issued

In addition, if the dog is outside and it’s 40 degree Fahrenheit or below, the dog needs to have a house with proper bedding for warmth.

This does not mean a doggy blanket, Kim Wolsiffer, Deputy Chief of Enforcement for the Indianapolis Animal Care & Control, told Fox News, which can absorb moisture and will freeze. Instead, you want to use a material that wicks away water/moisture.

Ridiculous that people have to be taught this.

sluce, KrisNine and Brookie like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Step in the right direction. Good on them.

My parents have adopted some semi-feral cats that roam their neighborhood. My parents live adjacent to a university and every summer, cats get dumped by students moving out of the rentals in the area and heading home for the summer. My stepfather built a couple of houses for the cats, insulating them with straw and waterproof pads They also put a water dish outside that doesn't freeze. So far, they have two. One has been coming around for about 4 years now. The other is somewhat of a newbie. He's been coming for about 7 or 8 months.

I love your parents krisNine!
    KrisNine likes this.

Surprises me that this is not common sense to people. Hopefully, a few more puppies will be safe this winter because of this ordinance.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

I really don't understand people. Why have pets if you are going to leave them outside? They should be part of the family and inside, along with their humans.
    Mivvi21, Sassiness and Honey like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

My dogs won't even go out to pee or take a shit unless I go out there with an umbrella in the rain. And if it snows, they won't do their business unless I've shoveled enough area for them to go. It breaks my heart that people leave pets out in awful weather.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I really don't understand people. Why have pets if you are going to leave them outside? They should be part of the family and inside, along with their humans.
    This is what I will never understand. If you can't handle having a dog in your house, don't have a damn dog. I know that this is more difficult to enforce with cats as people who let their cats outside tend to let them just roam the land, but I would hope the rules would apply to cat owners as well.

KrisNine - I have great respect for people who help provide for feral kitties in their neighborhoods. Some kitties just prefer the great outdoors, but it's nice to hear the ones near your parents have a cozy place to curl up and be safe in extreme weather.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

*sigh* I have what I thought was a feral in our garage right now. She kept hanging around and of course I started feeding her but couldn't get close enough until last weekend when she ran up to me and I coaxed her in. Temps have been very cold here. Trying to find her owner with flyers and I posted on our town FB page. No takers. Probably another poor cat dumped. She is very sweet and docile now that she's developed some trust with me. People really suck sometimes. I am taking her to the vet on Thursday to get her checked out since this is already a multi-cat household and I want to make sure her health is ok. Her appetite is definitely fine!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

It's sad, because one of the cats obviously belonged to someone at some point. He/she is very friendly will come to you for attention and for a nice pet/chin scratch He's very cute. I forgot what my parents named this one. They think he's a boy, but I'm not sure. If he's a he, he's been neutered

The other cat is much more feral. She (my parents think she's a girl) is very stand-offish. She won't come to you for attention or affection. It's taken her several years just to come to my mom. She's obviously been spayed or neutered, because in all this time she would have had babies and probably had them somewhere near my parents house.

They're thinking of getting humane traps and trying to get them to the vet and get them checked out. The boy cat would probably be able to get a home and be someone's cat. The girl, probably not. She's still very feral. My parents do what they can for them.
    o0Amber0o likes this.

Thread Information