Thread: Dog Hiccups

Default Dog Hiccups

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback called Rhino, he is 3 years old.

I have been his owner since he was 9 weeks old and I have had other dogs as pets in the past. Yet I have never came across a dog with hiccups…

I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this with any of their pets?

At first I found it rather humorous but it has been occurring more and more often recently. He doesn’t seem in any kind of pain, nor does it last very long, but I’m worried it could be some kinds of problem within his gullet. I know that taller dogs can gain problems with their gullet due to the need to bend right over whilst eating, which is why I invested in some bowl stands for Rhino over a year ago.

He’s also been suffering from conjunctivitis lately so on his last visit to the vet for eye drops last week I did mention the hiccupping. The vet just looked confused as if she had never heard of it before. She then alleged that it doesn’t sounds like anything serious but visit again if it persists.

It has persisted but I don’t want to go back seeming overly paranoid. I have tried google, but there doesn’t seem to be any clear diagnosis. So I thought I’d try to find out if I could find any one who had any first hand experience of this.

Default Re: Dog Hiccups

we have 4 labs...the 3 older ones rarely get them..by older i mean one is 3, one is 2 and the other just turned 1 year

i have a 3 month old black female right now..and she gets hiccups ALL THE TIME

but i dont remember the other ones having them like that when they were puppies

if he doesnt seem to be in any pain..i wouldnt worry too much..just keep an eye on it..maybe its something hes eating or maybe hes drinking too much water?? hopefully nothing is wrong...those dogs are absolutely beautiful

goodluck

*edit*

i re-read your post...i had seen a show about bigger dogs..and stomach problems..one thing they said was to buy the stands...so it looks like your doing the right thing...i think another thing they mentioned was to not let them play or run around a lot for a 1/2 hr after eating

Default Re: Dog Hiccups

Thank you Silver024, I really appreciate your advice.

I think you may be right about the drinking too much and the running right after eating. Rhino is extremely energetic, particularly after he has eaten so that is usually when I walk him.

In future I will wait a while afterwards and see if his hiccups improve.

Thanks again.

Thread Information