Thread: A story of a man and his dog who fought cancer together.

Elite Member

Default A story of a man and his dog who fought cancer together.

The story of how this man and his dog fought cancer together will make you weep

The story of how this man and his dog fought cancer together will make you weep

Redbook
    Kayla Keegan 6 days ago

(left pic)© Courtesy of Ben Moon (middle pic)© Courtesy of Vivian Moon (right pic)© Courtesy of Lisa Hensel

In 1999, photographer Ben Moon adopted a furry little friend name Denali from a pound with his then-girlfriend.
    Little did he know that Denali would forever change his life and inspire him to create an award-winning short film 16 years later about their unbreakable bond.

The movie Denali recreates their touching journey through life, from their fun adventures travelling together to the more challenging moments leading up to Denali's death last year.

The story starts with Ben recalling his time with his dog from Denali's point of view days before his pet's death. He goes on to explain how his canine friend helped him through some of the most difficult times in his life, like when he was diagnosed with Stage Three colorectal cancer in 2004 and lost his insurance.
    While Ben underwent treatment for his disease, Denali stayed by his side the whole time until Ben was declared cancer-free.

© Courtesy of Vivian Moon © Courtesy of Vivian Moon

"If anyone had tried to take me out of that hospital room, I'd have bitten their face," Ben narrates through the point of view of Denali.

Ben also explains through his dog how they would spend their days living a nomadic lifestyle.
    Together, they went sightseeing all around the Pacific Northwest, rock climbed, went fishing, did yoga, and vacationed together up until the time Denali developed cancer of his own early last year.

When Denali became weaker, Ben decided to take him to all his favorite places they had visited together so the pup could experience the world's beauty one last time.

(left pic)© Courtesy of John Sterling ...(middle pic)© Courtesy of Ben Moon ...(right pic)© Courtesy of Ben Moon

(left pic)© Courtesy of Ben Moon..(middle pic)© Courtesy of Ben Moon... (right pic)© Courtesy of Robert Windel

"I'm pretty sure Ben knows I'm dying. I'm not sure if it's the cancer or something else, but he's been taking me to all the places we used to go to and checking on me a lot," Ben says narrating as Denali. "The other day, he asked me to let him know when I was ready to go. He said he didn't want me to suffer."

As the final clip of the movie plays out, Ben adds through Denali, "My last night was really peaceful. I wasn't hungry anymore, so I let Ben know it was time and he let me sleep on his chest all night." The next morning, Ben took his best friend to the vet to be put down.

© Courtesy of Vivian Moon

The tear-jerking film has won the Best of Festival and People's Choice awards at its premiere in Colorado's 5point Film festival along with the hearts of dog lovers everywhere.

Grab a box of tissues and watch Ben Moon's Denali.

I'm crying just reading that article.

If only Celeb2006 were here to see this.

fgg

"The other day, he asked me to let him know when I was ready to go. He said he didn't want me to suffer."

As the final clip of the movie plays out, Ben adds through Denali, "My last night was really peaceful. I wasn't hungry anymore, so I let Ben know it was time and he let me sleep on his chest all night." The next morning, Ben took his best friend to the vet to be put down.

i have something in both eyes!!! this totally kills me. i had to put my rescue down last year after only having her for 3 (LONG!) months and i was broken hearted over it. i tried everything i could & thousands of dollars but i couldn't save her. my husband carried her around the yard to mow with him right before the end and we just cuddled her and gave her all the love we could. so freaking sad.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Thread Information