Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChloroformCasey

Thread: Giraffe, Katie, Gives Birth to Baby Live at Dallas Zoo on "Animal Planet"

Default Giraffe, Katie, Gives Birth to Baby Live at Dallas Zoo on "Animal Planet"

The baby has landed! Giraffe gives birth at Dallas Zoo

WFAA 11:30 p.m. CDT April 10, 2015

Katie the giraffe is getting ready to give birth at the Dallas Zoo.(Photo: Animal Planet)

CONNECT 135 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Congratulations to Katie, the new mom! The giraffe gave birth around 6 p.m. Friday afternoon with a large online audience looking on. (Photo: Animal Planet/The Dallas Zoo)

Congratulations to Katie, the new mom! The giraffe gave birth around 6 p.m. Friday afternoon with a large online audience looking on.
    Animal Planet and the Dallas Zoo provided live coverage as Katie the giraffe gave birth at the facility's Giants of the Savanna habitat Friday.
    The cable network installed eight cameras in the maternity stall, and is offered live coverage online.
    Zookeepers say the birth went off without a hitch and they have seen good signs of bonding from both Katie and her baby. They will spend the night in the same space as the rest of the herd Friday night, but fenced off to spend the night together.
    The baby's gender will be determined during its first checkup in the next three days. After that, zookeepers say it will be some time before the baby joins the rest of the herd in front of crowds.

All week we've been watching and waiting for Katie, a giraffe at the Dallas Zoo, to give birth. The big day finally came Friday. News 8's Marie Saavedra has more.

This link has the actual video if you want to watch the video of the birth . I watched it on "Too Cute" on Animal Planet Saturday and it was quite fascinating!

What's Life Going to be like for Katie the Giraffe's New Baby Girl? 10 Facts About Her First Years - Bites @ Animal Planet!

Or you can go here:

The baby has landed! Giraffe gives birth at Dallas Zoo
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

So precious. What a beautiful baby Momma, too.

Elite Member

Giraffe's are the supermodels of the Animal Kingdom (look at those legs!).

They are such beautiful, elegant animals .. A BIG Congratulations to Katie (and her G-dude) and the Dallas Zoo, on the birth of their new baby G-girl

Thank you Bluebonnet

I love this! It's just what I needed after seeing the horrible picture Ricky Gervais tweeted.

And you can vote to pick the new baby's name!!

www.dallaszoo.com

Isn't that baby standing for the first time just about the cutiest thing you've ever seen. Holy crap! It was like watching a Transformer!
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by ChloroformCasey View Post
    Isn't that baby standing for the first time just about the cutiest thing you've ever seen. Holy crap! It was like watching a Transformer!
    I know! And she fell over several times too. I loved how all the other neighborhood giraffes were sticking their heads in the enclosure to see what was going on!

This breaks my heart!!! I watched her birth on Animal Planet!!!

Baby giraffe dies in accident at Dallas Zoo

Jenny Doren, WFAA 1:28 p.m. CDT July 29, 2015
    "We're crushed, and everyone here is in mourning"

Kipenzi(Photo: Dallas Zoo)

CONNECT 251 TWEET 1 LINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

DALLAS — Animal lovers worldwide and here in North Texas are now saying goodbye to Dallas' beloved gentle giant and Internet superstar. Zoo staff say Kipenzi was horsing around with her older brother when tragedy struck around 5:30 Tuesday evening. Keepers were routinely shifting the giraffe herd into their night barn when the gangly calf started scampering. Kipenzi made a sharp turn and ran into the edge of the giraffe habitat breaking her neck. She died instantly.

Baby giraffe dies at Dallas Zoo

MORE: Stories about Kipenzi
    "It was just a tragedy and hopefully they'll be able to have another [giraffe]," said Belinda Aldrete, who brought her granddaughter to the Dallas Zoo Wednesday.
    "We've just been watching every minute of Kipenzi's life," added Jenina Smith of Irving. "All the videos of her running and out with her family and so it's just really, really sad."

Her family, like so many other visitors at the Dallas Zoo, came with with condolences and heavy hearts, hours after Kipenzi's freak accident.

"You think about your own babies and letting them explore and as they meet every milestone," explained Smith. "Makes you sad," she added. "You think life is just so precious and you just never know." She joined more than two million others who watched history happen back in April when Kipenzi's birth streamed live online via Animal Planet. The network released a statement following Kipenzi's death:
    "Like our friends and fellow animal lovers at the Dallas Zoo and around the world, we are completely heartbroken after learning of the tragic death of Kipenzi, the giraffe born on Animal Planet. The 24x7 coverage we offered of Katie's pregnancy and Kipenzi's birth was one of the most exciting and beautiful projects we have undertaken in our network's history. In her short time, Kipenzi provided an intensely powerful reminder of the miracle of birth and the beauty of the natural world. This extremely sad news underscores nature's fragility. Our sincerest sympathy goes out to all of our partners in Texas and to everyone with whom we shared Kipenzi's momentous arrival earlier this year."
    "It's difficult to put into words," explained Harrison Edell while clearing his throat. He's the senior director of living collections at the Dallas Zoo.
    Cribbs just graduated from North Dakota State University with a Zoology degree. "I used to volunteer at another zoo and a similar situation happened where an animal passed away so it really hit home for me," she said.

Kipenzi's mom is also in the process of bouncing back. Zookeepers gave her time to visit with her baby before they took her away. They're now keeping Katie in a private yard so they can make sure she doesn't show any signs of distress.
    "It's sad," said Cribbs. "Same thing happens to animals as do humans. Accidents happen. Illnesses happen."
    Kipenzi came into the world as a viral star. She died once again trending on social media.
    Zookeepers expect a memorial will begin to grow. They suggest in lieu of gifts, perhaps donating in Kipenzi's memory. The Dallas Zoo recommends The Giraffe Conservation Foundation, its partner at the forefront of protecting giraffes in Africa.
    Click here to make a donation.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...-zoo/30812593/

I'm totally bummed about this little girl too. RIP.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

That's very sad.

Damn, the poor baby died just from horsing around. That's tragic.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Poor thing. That's horrible.

Seems like a freak accident, but the Dallas zoo needs to pack it in. They've had way too many crappy things happen, gorilla escape and shooting, you name it. Just not a very good zoo.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Poor thing!

Thread Information