HSUS Shelter Spending in Your State
As we’ve previously reported, only about 1% of the budget of the deceptively named Humane Society of the United States goes to local pet shelters, and the organization doesn’t operate any shelters of its own. Not that you’d learn these facts from HSUS’s ads, which are full of dogs and cats.
An examination of HSUS’s 2013 tax return (the most recent available) reveals that although the extreme animal-liberation group took in more than $130 millionin revenues, very little went to local pet shelters. How much went to help pet shelters in your state? Take a look at the map below (PDF). The answer may shock you.
Of its $130 million in revenues, HSUS gave less than $10,000 to help local pet shelters care for pets in 29 states. Shelters in nine states – Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska, Nevada, Rhode Island, and Utah – didn’t receive a single dime from HSUS to help them care for pets.
If only 1% of HSUS’s budget goes to local pet shelters, where does the other 99% go? A few examples of wasteful HSUS spending:
- In the past two years, HSUS has put $50 million into Caribbean tax shelters instead of pet shelters.
- HSUS paid more than $6 million to settle a federal racketeering and bribery lawsuit brought against it and two of its in-house lawyers.
- HSUS CEO and President Wayne “I don’t love animals” Pacelle, received more than $400,000 in total compensation while the rest of staff pulled in nearly $44 million more.
Instead of funding the lavish lifestyles of HSUS execs who are socking away your donations in off-shore hedge funds, consider donating to pet shelters in your area.
HumaneWatch | HSUS Shelter Spending in Your State