Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 1 Post By *Wookie-Chick*
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 1 Post By Trixie
  • 2 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By Kittylady

Thread: How Does the Humane Society of the United States Spend Their Money?

Default How Does the Humane Society of the United States Spend Their Money?

HSUS Shelter Spending in Your State

As we’ve previously reported, only about 1% of the budget of the deceptively named Humane Society of the United States goes to local pet shelters, and the organization doesn’t operate any shelters of its own. Not that you’d learn these facts from HSUS’s ads, which are full of dogs and cats.
    An examination of HSUS’s 2013 tax return (the most recent available) reveals that although the extreme animal-liberation group took in more than $130 millionin revenues, very little went to local pet shelters. How much went to help pet shelters in your state? Take a look at the map below (PDF). The answer may shock you.

Of its $130 million in revenues, HSUS gave less than $10,000 to help local pet shelters care for pets in 29 states. Shelters in nine states – Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska, Nevada, Rhode Island, and Utah – didn’t receive a single dime from HSUS to help them care for pets.
    If only 1% of HSUS’s budget goes to local pet shelters, where does the other 99% go? A few examples of wasteful HSUS spending:

Instead of funding the lavish lifestyles of HSUS execs who are socking away your donations in off-shore hedge funds, consider donating to pet shelters in your area.

HumaneWatch | HSUS Shelter Spending in Your State
    Kittylady likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Jesus christ, that's absolutely disgusting (and yet not shocking at all).

Elite Member

This is so depressing.. gawd these 'BIG' charities piss me off!

i would much rather get in touch with individual shelters and rescue groups and donate directly to them.. at least you know that there is no greedy 'Middle Man/Sister of Middle Man/Brother of Middle Man..etc who will try and take their share like all the big charities do.

They call themselves the Humane Society yet they don't seem to be helping any animals.. Just themselves
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I would never give to the HUSUS. Greedy bastards. I totally give to my local shelter(s). Even if it's donating pet food or bedding.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Wow, I haven't seen anything like this since Dean Wormer read off Delta House's grade point averages.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mohandaskganja View Post
    wow, i haven't seen anything like this since dean wormer read off delta house's grade point averages.
    rotfl!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Interesting blog looks at several of the big animal charities. I always wonder about the ASPCA too, all those tearjerker commercials have to cost a lot. It's a shame so many spend far more on fundraising than they do in grants.

What The HSUS, ASPCA & Charity Navigator Don’t Tell You About Fundraising Costs | The Doggie Stylish Blog

I agree much better to spend your money locally. We have a great no-kill cat shelter in my county that we support with yearly membership and food donations, another raises money with a resale shop and we donate items there. Our county-run shelter went no-kill a few years ago so we try to contribute there as well.
    Butterfly likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I think this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what the HSUS's mission is. They're not about sheltering dogs and cats or even helping fund shelters. They primarily advocate legislatively for animal welfare issues, back education initiatives on animals issues, and do investigative/rescue work on puppy mills, farm abuse, etc. People might prefer donating to shelters where the money is used more directly for animal care, and that's fine, the HSUS just happens to be more big-picture oriented.

And honestly, $400K for an executive director of a national operation that major isn't outrageous, even/especially in the non-profit world. I remember when I worked at the local humane society, nobody (corporate or individual donors) wanted their money to go in any way whatsoever toward salaries or admin expenses...but the truth is, nothing gets accomplished unless you can pay a staff. I can't speak to the other allegations up there, but again, it is simply a huge organization with a lot of departments, so I don't believe corruption is representative of them as a whole. They've done and continue to do an enormous amount of good.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Hey, Delaware, Utah, Nebraska, Nevada, Wyoming, Arkansas, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Iowa, and Alaska.....

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I think this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what the HSUS's mission is. They're not about sheltering dogs and cats or even helping fund shelters. They primarily advocate legislatively for animal welfare issues, back education initiatives on animals issues, and do investigative/rescue work on puppy mills, farm abuse, etc. People might prefer donating to shelters where the money is used more directly for animal care, and that's fine, the HSUS just happens to be more big-picture oriented.

And honestly, $400K for an executive director of a national operation that major isn't outrageous, even/especially in the non-profit world. I remember when I worked at the local humane society, nobody (corporate or individual donors) wanted their money to go in any way whatsoever toward salaries or admin expenses...but the truth is, nothing gets accomplished unless you can pay a staff. I can't speak to the other allegations up there, but again, it is simply a huge organization with a lot of departments, so I don't believe corruption is representative of them as a whole. They've done and continue to do an enormous amount of good.
    What's the explanation for fifty million in offshore tax shelters.?
    faithanne and Kittylady like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I would never give to the HUSUS. Greedy bastards. I totally give to my local shelter(s). Even if it's donating pet food or bedding.
    This is why I don't donate to the RSPCA. An ex and I tried to donate a tray full of cans of cat food and some blankets once but they turned it down, saying they only accepted monetary donations. Cats Protection League not only accepted them with a smile but thanked us profusely. After that they got anything we could spare and the RCPCA could go fuck themselves.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information