• 4 Post By faithanne
  • 4 Post By Trixie
  • 1 Post By levitt
  • 1 Post By KrisNine
  • 1 Post By *Wookie-Chick*
  • 3 Post By Honey
  • 1 Post By azoria
  • 1 Post By *Wookie-Chick*

Thread: Homeless dog left with suitcase at rail station has plenty of offers for new home

Default Homeless dog left with suitcase at rail station has plenty of offers for new home

Kai had been sold on Gumtree in 2013 (Scottish SPCA/PA

People from as far afield as the US have been offering to adopt a dog which was left at a railway station with a suitcase of his belongings.
    The Scottish SPCA has been deluged with well over 100 calls from people offering a new home for shar-pei crossbreed Kai, who was abandoned at Ayr station in South Ayrshire in a tale similar to that of Paddington Bear.
    He was discovered tied to a railing outside the building on Friday accompanied by the case containing items including a pillow, toy, food and a bowl.
    His story has hit the headlines around the world, from the US to Hong Kong, and the charity has had calls from people in California and Tennessee offering to take him in.

Kai was found with a suitcase full of his belongings (Scottish SPCA/PA)

However it hopes to rehome Kai in Scotland once he has had surgery to his eyelids, which are curled under meaning his eyelashes touch his eyeballs.
    Kai, who is aged between two and three, is currently being cared for at the Scottish SPCA’s centre in Glasgow.
    A spokeswoman for the charity said: “He needs surgery which is quite a common procedure. He won’t be able to leave till he has had that so he will be with us for the next three to four weeks.”
    The pet was sold on the Gumtree website in 2013 and the charity is appealing for information to help trace whoever bought him.
    Railway station staff looked after Kai until the Scottish SPCA arrived at the scene on Friday.
    Alan Grant, a senior animal care assistant at the Glasgow centre, said: “It would certainly have been very distressing for him at the time he was abandoned.
    “He has been tied up to a fence and watched his owners walk away and leave him, and that’s distressing for any dog, even if you just tie your dog up outside the shop and go into the shop, most dogs will panic so it must have been very, very distressing for him watching his owners walk away.
    “He’s settled into the centre not bad and he seems very people-orientated, but it’s certainly not the right manner to leave any animal in.”
    The charity said abandoning an animal is an offence under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 and anyone found guilty of doing so can expect to be banned from keeping animals for a fixed period or life.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...fers-new-home/

This makes my fucking blood boil. I hope Kai gets the family he deserves.
    Laurent, Brookie and KrisNine like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I hate people. Except for all the good souls who want to help the pooch. But reading about how distressed he must have been watching his family leave him made me teary.
    Brookie, KrisNine, palta and 1 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Oh, so his owners were inspired by Paddington Bear and left their dog in a railway station with a suitcase? Awww what a cute way to abandon an animal.

Fucking assholes.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    But reading about how distressed he must have been watching his family leave him made me teary.
    Me, too. I don't understand how anyone could walk away from their pet like that and leave them to the world.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I will take him!! What a gorgeous dog.
    Brookie likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Breaks my heart. I just looked at my big guy and it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about what Kai went through. Fucking assholes don't deserve this guy.
    Brookie likes this.

Wait what?

Couldn't they had just given it away to someone willing without doing this stunt? Now they have the police and the world on their tail.
    It's not very hard to set up an ad on Facebook or craigslist...

I guess they thought it was cute, or something...

Elite Member

This news story absolutely gutted me

Both my Rescue/Shelter dogs are Shar-Pei's (i LOVE the breed).. one had been abandoned by his previous 'owners' who just moved away and left him (GRRR!) and the other had been very badly abused and then just dumped in the pound by her previous 'owners' (again GRRR!).

i just can't put into words how much i love them both.

Beautiful Kai looks very much like my girl Pei.

i sincerely hope Kai finds a loving home and has a wonderful future. And a *BIG THANK YOU* to the Scottish SPCA for rescuing him.

Shar-Pei's are a beautiful breed, but unfortunately people don't seem to research them enough before bringing one home. They can have a lot of Skin, Ear and Eye problems and you NEED to be aware and prepared for these problems and help the dog through them.

If the Pei does have an eyelid problem then the surgery they need is VERY expensive and can run into the thousands (i live in Aust and you would be looking at around $2500 just for the surgery alone)... BUT if you do Rescue a Pei from a Rescue Group or Shelter you will usually find that the Surgery has been done before the dog is adopted out (as they don't want the dog getting re-dumped again because of the high surgery cost).

My dogs have a gluten free diet (G/F dog kibble, raw meat and vegies) as wheat, corn and colourings cause absolute havoc to their systems.. And the G/F diet certainly has helped soothe out any skin problems my two had... They also have Aust produced Jerky's as treats too.

Yes, they certainly are a breed with a lot of health problems and they are also as stubborn.. errr i mean 'Strong Willed' as a mule.. but if you are prepared for this and treat them as valued, much loved members of your family.. then you will have a loyal, wonderful furbaby/ies in your life.*

*All pets should be treated as valued, much loved member's of the family.. (imho).
    Last edited by *Wookie-Chick*; January 9th, 2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Adding some more stuff ;)
    teforde23 likes this.

^^Aw, that's sweet that you rescued your doggies. Poor things. I have a rescue that was dumped by his previous owners...at least twice. He was only 10 months old when we got him.

Rescues do pay for a lot of expensive surgery because they know the poor things may end up with someone who either can't afford it or won't do it and possibly dump them again. Our guy has health issues and we're pretty sure that's why he was dumped.

AN ABANDONED dog who’s plight touched the hearts of thousands of Scots finally met his new owner today.
    Shar-pei crossbreed Kai - nicknamed “Paddington Ayr” after he was found tied to railings at Ayr railway station along with a suitcase of his belongings - has been adopted by 52-year-old engineer Ian Russell.
    And Ian, from Newton Mearns, Glasgow, has revealed Kai will be helping him recover from the heartbreak of losing his beloved Dalmatian Mica who died just before Christmas.
    He said: “It feels like fate that I’ve been able to rehome Kai and I’m not usually a believer in things like that.

“I’m over the moon and very shocked that I was chosen out of everyone who wanted him.
    “My Dalmatian named Mica passed away just before Christmas and I was left heartbroken.
    “I had her for 15 years and she was the apple of my eye. We pretty much spent 24 hours a day together.
    “When I heard about Kai I knew the little guy needed a break but I never thought in a million years I’d get him.
    “I called the Scottish SPCA just to check he was okay and see if there was anything I could do to help.

“Fast forward a few weeks and here I am taking him home. I honestly think it was meant to be.
    “I work all over Scotland, mainly outdoors, driving wherever I’m needed in my van.
    “Kai will come with me and when it’s appropriate I’ll let him out to run around and play safely while I work.
    “Then we’ll jump back into the van together and head to the next place. We’ll be able to hang out all the time.
    “Being the one to rehome Kai is a bit like winning the lottery and I’m really looking forward to getting him home and bonding with him.
    “I also want to highlight the fact there are lots of other animals like Kai whose stories haven’t been told.
    “I really hope some of the people who offered Kai a home will consider helping one of the many other rescue pets being cared for by the Scottish SPCA.”
    filled with his belongingsKai was found abandoned in early January, but he had to have eye surgery to correct a problem which had left his eyelashes digging sharply into his eyeballs before he could be rehomed.

The procedure was funded by well-wishers who donated cash to the SPCA after the Record told the dog’s story.
    The Record tracked down Fin Rayner, 39, from Aberdeenshire, who said she had wanted to buy Kai after he was advertised for sale on the website Gumtree.
    But she claimed that after the sale went wrong the owner abandoned the dog at Ayr.
    Cardonald’s senior animal care assistant Alan Grant said, “We were overwhelmed by offers of new homes for Kai from places as far away as New York, Los Angeles, France, Spain and even the Philippines.
    “Kai’s story was really sad and many people likened him to Paddington Bear given he was found alone at a railway station with his suitcase.

Help: Surgery on Kai at the Scottish SPCA centre to fix his eyes

“One of the reasons we chose Ian was right from the start he said he was interested in rehoming Kai but he would take our advice if we thought one of the many other dogs in our care would suit him better.
    “It was really important for us to select an owner who wanted Kai for all the right reasons and had really thought through their decision to take on a rescue dog.
    “We know Kai will have a fantastic new life with Ian and we couldn’t be happier for him.
    “This is a great opportunity for us to remind people that we have hundreds of other animals in our care just like Kai who all need new homes.
    “Anyone thinking of taking on a pet is welcome to visit our rescue and rehoming centres to meet our fantastic animals for themselves.”
    Scottish SPCA inspector Stewart Taylor said: “Following our appeal, we received information which suggested Kai was left at Ayr Railway Station after an internet sale went wrong.
    "Our investigation is still on-going at this stage.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/kai-finds-home-dog-found-5103816
    ManxMouse, KrisNine and azoria like this.

Aww, I love his little red bandana! Many happy years to them.
    heart_leigh likes this.

Elite Member

Oh what fantastic news

Both Ian and Kai will help each other heal from their heartbreaks... i wish them both all the very best.
    Honey likes this.

Thread Information