Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Are you in Omaha and missing a sheep dressed in a Christmas sweater/jumper?

Default Are you in Omaha and missing a sheep dressed in a Christmas sweater/jumper?

The sheep was found Sunday evening in an Omaha neighborhood.

The Nebraska Humane Society was caring for the sheep while it tried to find its owner and learn the animal's name.

It’s not every day you see a sheep roaming free in a city with nearly half a million people. It’s even rarer — unprecedented, really — to see one dressed in an ugly Christmas sweater. But that’s exactly what Omaha animal control came across this weekend, and now the animal is all dressed up with nowhere to go but the Nebraska Humane Society.

The Humane Society is hoping to find the sheep’s owner via Facebook, where the organization announced, “If you’re missing a sheep that enjoys wearing Christmas sweaters he’s here at NHS.

Sheep Found in Christmas Sweater in Omaha
    dougie likes this.

Perhaps the material from the sweater came from a friend.
    ManxMouse, Honeythorn and LaFolie like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Aw, he's so sweet. Would love to have a pet sheep!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Poor lil' guy. All dressed up and nowhere to go.
    dougie likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Perhaps the material from the sweater came from a friend.
    The friend's name is Polyester from the look of it.
    LaFolie, sputnik, Brookie and 2 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Aw, he's so sweet. Would love to have a pet sheep!
    i had a pet sheep as a kid. no, i'm not joking.
    my sheep was awesome. we had a huge backyard and she lived there and slept in a shed thingie that was attached to the back of the house. then we had to move so we donated her to this small private zoo and would visit her often.
    if i ever move to the country and have lots of outdoor space, i'm definitely getting more sheep.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A glimpse into your future....

sputnik, azoria, sprynkles and 4 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

my sheep was awesome. we had a huge backyard and she lived there and slept with Shed
    Fixed it for you.
    sputnik and Kittylady like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Awe. She is just too precious for words.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i had a pet sheep as a kid. no, i'm not joking.
    my sheep was awesome. we had a huge backyard and she lived there and slept in a shed thingie that was attached to the back of the house. then we had to move so we donated her to this small private zoo and would visit her often.
    if i ever move to the country and have lots of outdoor space, i'm definitely getting more sheep.
    We raised sheep for years - I adore them. But we got into it in sort of a backdoor way....

We bought a rough, unkempt, weed covered ranchette. Mr. Azoria couldn't mow enough to keep the mess under control. So one day I bought a sheep to munch it down.

But after not long she looked so lonely out there all by herself and she was not enough sheep to eat that many weeds. So I bought her a mate to keep her company. And thusly we were soon in the sheep business.

There were two large problems:

*What to do with more sheep than we needed, and -
    *Shearing sheep

Sheep shearing is an art and takes practice and experience and a very dangerous razor which will shred the animals to bits if improperly done. Professional sheep shearers are in very short supply and diminishing, as the sheep raising industry in this country continues to decrease. A good shearer is priceless and very hard to find. Every year this became a larger and larger problem.

What to do with the adorable lambs? When I couldn't bear to sell them, I kept them. Oh my.
    When I did sell them there was always the risk of the new owner not caring for them properly or worse yet, eating them. So I kept them.

Within 10 years we had sheep galore. (just like twitchy's picture) Except I raised natural colored sheep and ditched most of the Suffolk/Merino types.

After some trial and error I stocked mostly natural colored sheep as they were so unbearably cute, and had short stout little legs which were sturdier than leggier breeds. I loved them dearly.

Natural Colored Wool
    Growers Association

http://www.ncwga.org/
    Last edited by azoria; December 11th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.

^^^^
    that sounds amazing!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

azoria, that sounds wonderful. I would love to do something like that.

Truth be told, we are looking to move and toying around with the idea of buying a small farm/ranch where I can raise alpaca's. It's a total dream for me.

I like alpacas too, they're even cuter than sheep. We used to have a neighboring ranch that raised llamas and alpacas. I wanted some.

But if you do get such a place and decide to keep animals there are a couple of things you should know.

1. Fence building. Fences to keep your animals in and other animals out. The fences need constant work and maintenance. And your livestock has got all day to find/create weaknesses in the fence so they can escape. They will. Plan on spending every Saturday patching the fencing.

2. Predators. Primarily dogs and coyotes. Very hard to keep out of your pasture and they will destroy the livestock.

3. Animal husbandry. Broken legs, various illnesses, vaccinations, hauling feed, delivering babies.

4. You will need a pickup truck.

Raising animals is a lot of work. We've culled the herd down to a single cat now. And he got hit by a car about six years ago and cost me $5,000 to save him. Animals are expensive.

What sort of temperament do sheep have? If I had some acreage, I would totally get some sheep and pygmy goats to go with my cow and horses.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Sheep are very docile and sweet creatures, quite friendly. Not terribly bright. Much easier to deal with than goats. Sheep are not climbers.

They need a lot of supervision though as they are a favorite snack of predators. One dog can kill a lot of sheep in short period of time.

Have you seen the movie 'Babe'? I love that film.
    sprynkles and ManxMouse like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information