Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Honey
  • 1 Post By Rusalka
  • 2 Post By tulip

Thread: Firefighters Treat Hamsters With Tiny Oxygen Masks

Default Firefighters Treat Hamsters With Tiny Oxygen Masks

The recent rescue of a hamster family by firefighters in Lacey, Washington, just goes to show that good things sometimes come in tiny packages.
    Called to a local mobile home on Sept. 26 to put out a fire, which apparently began in the laundry room, the Lacey crew first beat back the flames and then set about saving the hamster family they found in the living room.
    (Story continues below.)

Lacey firefighter Eric Bamer cradles one of the hamsters in his palm as he holds a breathing tube steady.

Once safely outside, the firefighters administered oxygen to the family via breathing tubes, which pressed up against the hamsters' noses like teeny, tiny oxygen masks. All but one of the five hamsters survived.
    The hamsters were then returned to their human family.

Firefighters snake hoses outside the still-smoking home.

"As a matter of fact, the owner carried one of them inside her shirt pocket while we were finishing overhaul of the fire and caring for the babies. ... The two adults and two remaining babies looked pretty good, considering what they had been through," Lacey Batallion Chief Tim Hulse told The Huffington Post.

The crew's prior training with a local veterinarian crew helped them execute the successful hamster rescue, as did their copy of the Pet Emergency Pocket Guide. The department's firefighters are also outfitted with a first aid kit and specialized equipment geared toward pet rescue.

The Guide on display in front of the Lacey insignia.

"We see people most often when they are having a terrible day. We go out of our way to try and turn that around. It might be a cardiac arrest save, or when their house catches fire, [or] taking care of the family pets. Sometimes it's as simple as taking someone's groceries to their home after they are in a bad car accident," Hulse said.

Firefighters Save Baby Hamsters With Teeny 'Oxygen Masks'
    Brookie, Rusalka, palta and 2 others like this.

Oh my god that's sweet. I don't even like hamsters and I think this is adorable and really, really fantastic of the firefighters.
    Mrs P likes this.

Same here. Really cheered me up, in fact! *snif*
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

Oh dear god, have you ever seen something so tiny and cute? I had no idea they had itty bitty oxygen masks. Such a sweet story.

One of my cats once needed to have her blood pressure taken, and they took out a cuff that was about an inch wide. Same brand as human BP cuffs. It was adorable.
    Honey and Mrs P like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

When the gas company blew an old coworker of mine's house up, they had a deaf cat, a german shepard, and a hamster house full of hamster babies. The only pet that survived was the dog, the others managed to survive the explosion, but die from smoke inhalation. Yeah, her family was all home too when it happened, they just happened to be getting out of the car to go inside.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    When the gas company blew an old coworker of mine's house up, they had a deaf cat, a german shepard, and a hamster house full of hamster babies. The only pet that survived was the dog, the others managed to survive the explosion, but die from smoke inhalation. Yeah, her family was all home too when it happened, they just happened to be getting out of the car to go inside.
    That's so sad, poor darlings. I read a heartbreaking thing which was that in many cases pets would survive a fire but end up needing treatment for smoke inhalation and the families would opt to euthanise them instead due to the high vet costs. It's so sad, a family who's lost their house should not have to make such a horrible decision on top of it.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

^^You would think they would donate, or at least considerably discount, treatment for disaster survivors. But vet costs in general are obscene, just like human health care costs.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Oh dear god, have you ever seen something so tiny and cute? I had no idea they had itty bitty oxygen masks. Such a sweet story.

One of my cats once needed to have her blood pressure taken, and they took out a cuff that was about an inch wide. Same brand as human BP cuffs. It was adorable.
    Oh Tulip, your wonderful post made my day

And as if Firefighters weren't irresistible enough already, they also have 'Pet Emergency pocket guides' to help save animals.. excuse me whilst i swoon .

And yes, Vet costs are an absolute nightmare!

I have a sticker notice on my window at the front door that in event of emergency, I have ferrets upstairs. I can only hope I get firefighters like these chaps.

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

I love stories like these, puts me in tears! I love animals and to see Firefighters caring about them too is beautiful.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Thread Information