Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: I'm rescuing/getting a Cat

Default I'm rescuing/getting a Cat

I have been looking at her for a year. Her name is Jojo and she's almost 4. She's a sweet girl who doesn't like other cats. I've been seeing her and her foster family throughout the summer to see if she likes me-it's like dating, I swear!! I passed!! Thing is now I'm scared!! I have never personally owned a cat..I'm the prissy dog lady!! What do I need? What does she need? Do I need more than two litter boxes? Does the self cleaning ones work or what about the litter genie?? Will she think the small dogs are cats? And can I bathe her like the doggies?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

fgg

no clue on anything related to cats but congratulations!
    Jazzy likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    I have been looking at her for a year. Her name is Jojo and she's almost 4. She's a sweet girl who doesn't like other cats. I've been seeing her and her foster family throughout the summer to see if she likes me-it's like dating, I swear!! I passed!! Thing is now I'm scared!! I have never personally owned a cat..I'm the prissy dog lady!! What do I need? What does she need? Do I need more than two litter boxes? Does the self cleaning ones work or what about the litter genie?? Will she think the small dogs are cats? And can I bathe her like the doggies?
    I loved having cats. Similar to dogs, the temperament of certain cats can be related to breed. We had a Maine Coon cat that was the easiest going pet we ever had. And we had a Turkish Angora that was incredibly affectionate but incredibly high strung. Eventually, we had her living with my mom, and the situation was ideal for both of them. But before that, we had them sleeping in our bed all the time with us.

It would be good to have two litter boxes - one for #1, and one for #2. Also, you will have to change them less often. We always used the least-expensive (clay-based) litter we could find. We fed them a combination of dry and wet food.

Congratulations! Don't bathe her, cats are self-cleaning. But if you really want to, use warm water and she will tolerate it better.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

yay!! congratulations, diva!
    and don't worry, cats are so much easier than dogs.

i've never had 2 litter boxes but then i've always lived in apartments and didn't really have room for more than one anyway. i used regular litter but ever since i discovered those crystal things, i'm a convert. they're more expensive but you don't have to change it as often, it absorbs odours and you just scoop out the poo every day.

i bathed boris a few times when he was smaller but only because he spent the first 5 months of his life out in the country and had fleas. got rid of the fleas and then i'd bathe him ever couple of months just to be on the safe side and because at the time i lived in a ground floor apartment with a garden and was scared it would be easier for fleas to come in from outside. i don't bother anymore now.

every cat is different in terms of personality. boris is like a dog (it's the siamese) and he's super chatty. follows me and sleeps in my bed, cuddled up with me or at the top of my pillow. he's super affectionate but he's not a lap cat. he does like to be picked up and held though, but only by me. if anyone else does it he squirms like a motherfucker. some cats are more reserved. it really depends.

some people trim their cats' claws, others don't. i trim boris' front claws and he has a scratching post too. that doesn't stop him from clawing at the sofa although not as often or as badly as he did with the sofa i had while living at my previous apartment. he destroyed that. get her a scratching post and keep a spray bottle handy for whenever you catch her clawing at stuff she's not supposed to.

it might be a bit of an adjustment for the doggies at first but they'll adapt to each other, i'm sure.

be sure to post pictures and really, go ahead and get her! having a cat is wonderful. i love dogs too and would have one if i didn't live in a small apartment in new york city with a crazy job and no time to walk it, but it's just a completely different relationship.
    yanna and Jazzy like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Put scratching posts everywhere to dissuade the cats from scratching your carpet/furniture. I think the best are sisal - they last forever.

Oh, how exciting.

I'll caution you on one thing first. Doggies sometimes like to snack out of the cat box. It's gross, but most of them will do it. Apparently it has to do with the food cats eat and the way they digest food. I've found that having the opening of the litter box face a wall, with room for the cat to get in, does the trick. But, if I remember, you have small dogs (yorkies?). Anyway, small doggies may not bother it.

If you have a two story home, two litter boxes sometimes are best. Otherwise, one will be fine. I like the scooping litter, but the old clay litter is good too. You just have to change it more often, where with the scooping kind, you just scoop and toss the little pee pies and poop I just used a regular hooded litter box. My BIL had one of the cleaning ones and it was a pain in the ass.

I second the sisal scratching post. Works like a dream. My cats rarely scratched anything.

Dry and wet food is best. I've had two cats with kidney disease and the vet said to always do dry and wet. Cats get a lot of the moisture in their diet from the food they eat. Another thing is the way cats eat. They don't usually eat all their food at once. They like to pick, especially at dry food.

All of my cats were affectionate, except for one. They love to play with little toys and will do "hot laps" around your house.

I miss my kitty and hope I can get another one someday.

yes on dry and wet good. though boris mostly eats dry. i have a little bowl of wet food for him that he picks at but never eats more than half of it. and lots of water.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thank you all! I really did over think this a bit. Thank you about the wet and dry foods. I know that I am going to do the clumping crystals. I will get her the scratcher as well as some toys.
    If you guys could see my shopping list, you'd laugh.
    KrisNine, sputnik, McJag and 3 others like this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Vouch for crystal cat litter - it doesn't smell and is much easier to keep clean. Worth the extra $.

If you don't already have a bed for her I would recommend a little igloo (not sure what they're called elsewhere) because they love feeling safe and snug in their own little caves.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I didn't know that about feeding cats wet and dry food. Wish I had known that 13 years ago. I have a ill cat now we are still trying to figure out what her problem is.

Some great advice here, Diva. Good luck and enjoy your new fur baby!!!

Congrats Diva! I was always a dog person, and got a cat in college because I thought she'd be more "portable" and easy, never expected to fall in love but I did. That was too many cats ago to count. Right now I have 2 dogs and a varying number of cats and they all get along, or at least tolerate each other.

Re wet/dry food, another consideration is, I've read that cats get a large amount of their hydration from wet food because some don't drink enough water even if it's readily available. (I've only had one cat in my lifetime who snubbed any kind of wet food and only wanted dry.) I feed mine a small bowl of wet food twice a day and leave out bowls of dry that they can munch at their leisure. With dogs cohabitating, the main issue is keeping them away from the cats' food because they will gobble it all up and it's not good for them. I keep the cat feeding to one room with a gate that the cats can maneuver but the dogs can't.

I agree with all the other advice, if you have any more questions there seem to be plenty of crazy cat ladies (myself included) who can fill you in on just about anything feline.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

"Tolerate each other" is a good definition of the relationship between my dog and cat...lol

Congrats Diva!!! I have three cats inside right now and two outside. I have three litter boxes and I once tried using a self cleaning one and that ended when they all boycotted. I love the scoop litter but be sure to clean it at least once a day. My two girls fight over who is the queen and my boy is just the sweetest thing but none of them are lap cats. Don't get too crazy with the toys. Mine are spoiled rotten and have everything you can think of and touch pretty much none of it. I even bought a huge tower with scratching posts and places to lounge and only one of them has even been on it. You gotta love cats!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I agree on not buying too many cat toys. What cats really love are cardboard boxes.
    Liza, dougie, Froogy and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information