Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Need some new puppy advice/help

Default Need some new puppy advice/help

So our sweet little puppy is coming home with us this weekend. The timing is completely horrible as my kids will start back at school next week. We were hoping to have her a week or two earlier but mama doggy took her sweet time with those pups. My mom will be here through part of next week to help out but then she has to head home.

So now I'm trying to figure out what in the hell to do about crate/potty training her. I work from 8-3:30 and will be able to run home quickly at lunch most days to let her out and check on her. I know their little bladders can't hold it for 3 hours so what do I do? We have a crate that has a divider (to allow for growth later) and I've read you can open that up and put puppy pads on half of the crate to clean up messes but I know that will probably slow her down.

We can't take her to puppy day care because she won't be fully vaccinated. I'm trying to find someone in the neighborhood who might be able to check on her a little more frequently. Any other suggestions? I'm guessing the vast majority of new puppy owners work and figure this out somehow.

My gosh, this is almost more guilt than being a working mom!

fgg

exciting time! when i had my puppies, i had someone come in during the day to let them out in the later afternoon and i would do lunch duty. if you let her out before you leave for work, run home at lunch and then get home for the day at 3:30 pm, you are probably going to be fine. it is a good idea to get them used to holding it from the beginning.

usually, you can't take them to daycare until they've been spayed which isn't until about 6 months. the caveat about daycare - because i learned the hard way - is that they get used to going whenever, wherever and at 2 years old, i'm still dealing with a bit of potty issues.

my girl is now in her crate at night rather than running free because she would go on the rug if i didn't get up in the middle of the night on the occasions when she would try to wake me. i stopped letting her out after the last raccoon incident a few weeks ago where i thought she had to pee but really she new there was an animal in the yard and she chased after it. let me remind you all that she's 3.5lbs and this raccoon was probably 75 lbs! i was screaming in my backyard at 4 am because she wouldn't come to me because she was so intent on going after the raccoon.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Remember: puppies only need a minute of "walkies" per week of age, so a 7 week old puppy you only need to let out a maximum of 7 minutes each time. Walk her or have her walked every two hours. Usually dogs don't soil their nest, which is why using a crate will help you get your dog "potty trained" hehe. For the nights: add half an hour each night before letting her out. If your puppy is about to do her business in your home, you pick her up: usually dogs stop their action until they're put back on the ground again. And praising, of course: praise the heck out of her each time she does her business outside. But, as with human children: consistency is key, also in the timing of the walks so get all the help you can for set times.
    Bellatheball and Jazzy like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

fgg

^i still tell my dog that she's a good girl when i see her go outside.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

thanks to all of you. We had two cocker spaniels growing up and we always said, "Good job!" when they went to the bathroom. It got to the point that they'd only go if we said, "Good Job!"first.

My cousins both work at rescues so they have given me the max guilt trip about not taking weeks off of work to help the dog adjust. Do most people do that? They can't. Anyway, it's giving me the guilts so I appreciate all of your input.

fgg, that's hilarious! At least your dog has confidence!

Your cousins need to quit with the guilt trip.We live in the real world and these are dogs not a human (and let me state I love my dog more than I love most people and I would probably end up dying for him too ) Dogs can be left alone in their crate for a few hours and they will be fine . We crated my dog from the beginning and he learned to wait until he was let out to pee and had very few accidents . As long as your dog is in a loving home , walked and fed they'll be fine. I don't want to start a rant or anything but some of these people from dog rescue are unreasonable with their guilt trips they lay into people . who the hell has weeks to take off for work for a dog ? Some people don't get time off for a child let alone a dog
    Bellatheball, Jazzy and laynes like this.

God bless you!!! I needed someone to say that. Thank you, seriously.

This dog will be smothered with love. My kids have been waiting for a solid year for her. She'll probably get no rest when they are home from school until I enforce it. Plus, when she's old enough, I hope to make her my running buddy so she'll get lots of exercise too.
    choozen1ne likes this.

What type of puppy are you getting ? and what's the name going to be ?
    We need to make our dog and exercise partner too he's getting a little round in the tummy

She's a goldendoodle. Not sure about the name yet. My kids are obsessed with Star Wars and there is a character who has a name that sounds exactly like our last name. We were going to go with that but now they are thinking Goalie. My daughter passed a bunch of soccer skills tests and was invited to play on an all boys team in an all boys soccer tournament. She'd been working on her dad for a year to get a dog. He told her if she scored a goal, she could finally get one. She scored. We're getting a dog, which is why they are now leaning toward Goalie.

That's an awesome name, I used to practice soccer with my golden retriever when I was younger. My morkie , Bacon Bit was named by my nephew and I ,he was supposed to be a purse size dog but he is more like a tote bag size -he is 18 pounds .

[IMG][/IMG]

seriously that thing is so cute my head almost exploded , I want a whole litter of them
    I even like the little Hawk-eyes collar
    Bellatheball likes this.

I'm sure you know that I'm a huge dog lover. Huge. I would do anything for my dog, current and past. I never took two weeks off to be with them. If you can, that's great. Most people can't. I made sure my dogs had something entertaining for the time I was at work. Radio or tv always worked wonders. Also, I liked to keep them close to a window, so they could see out. My first lab, I got as a ten week old. I crated her for the first year. She loved it. It was good for her and good for our house. She was relatively easy to train. I was close enough to be able to get home at lunch and my boyfriend at the time was home by 3. She really never peed or pooped in her crate. We took her outside the minute we woke up in the morning. Rushed right outside for the morning pee. Then, I brought her in the house and gave her breakfast and she had access to water. I took her out about 30 minutes after eating and again right before I left for work. I think part of her never going potty in her crate was the fact that she used most of that time to sleep. So, I was gone by 8 in the morning, home around 12:15 for her potty break and my bf was home by three. Sort of similar.

It'll work.
    Bellatheball likes this.

You have outfitted the collar properly!

If you google, or check with the shelter, there should be cards of people who will come to your house and let your dog out for you, walk them, etc... Don't know what they charge though!

I would get a new dog on a 3 day weekend, so I would have an extra day with them, but no one takes weeks off. That's ridiculous.

She's adorable! or is it a he?
    Bellatheball likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I was going to say 3 day weekend, too. I remember the vet telling us that they go from having constant companions to being alone. An extra bit of cuddling helps

That pup is just pure adorable.
    Bellatheball likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information