Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help! Anyone have any advice for dogs having to have teeth pulled/dental issues?!?

Default Help! Anyone have any advice for dogs having to have teeth pulled/dental issues?!?

I hope I didn't overlook another thread on this topic.

I took my 12 1/2 yr old poodle, Monet, in for a dental cleaning today, and he had to have several teeth pulled. I am getting ready to go get him now, so I will be able to post more info on it tomorrow. Just wondered who else has dealt with this and may have helpful advice/hints.

I feel terrible. I probably should have had them cleaned a year or so ago,...but the vet said they looked really good at the time, but have went downhill the last few months, obviously. She said once they start to go, one bad tooth starts to share the decay with the next one. And that several teeth can go bad very quickly. I have had two other poodles, but never had the teeth issue with them. But, both of them had other health issues and had to be put asleep before they were 10 years old.

Thanks for listening!

So so fucking weird. My vet wants to pull several teeth from my dog but she wants $1000.00. She gave her antibiotics a couple of months ago and she has been fine, until now. I need to get some more tomorrow. But what's weird to me is that I've never had this problem before and haven't heard of others having it either. All of a sudden, I've had 2 friends with dogs and 2 with cats needed to have their teeth extracted. Wtf?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I have a toy poodle and over the last year his breath has become so BAD and you can see his teeth have major plaque. I should of got his teeth cleaned last year...the Vet said he was borderline to needing it then. But he seemed fine and to be honest...I didn't want to shell out $150 plus bucks. *sigh* I feel like shit, and I love my dog and take good care of him, but life throws a lot at you and we do have three daughters we are still raising. Sometimes you need to make choices...so he was put on the back burner.

So....I went to pick up Monet,...and he had 8 teeth that were majorly loose and 11 that were compromised/infected. So they pulled 19 today. I knew he had lost one in front a couple of weeks ago...that is what got me to take him to the vet. They also found a back molar missing..so the dog is now missing 21 teeth..with 15 remaining. 3 of the remaining they want to watch..they are questionable. The poor boy is laying with me on the couch and being such a trooper. I should have shelled out the $150 bucks and had his teeth cleaned once every year and avoided this....but I didn't. Lord...I just feel so bad and guilty. Like I said before...I never had to deal with this with my other poodles...but they didn't live this long, either.

I live in Iowa...and they knocked him out and took 19 teeth and it was $358 bucks. I just have the feeling that the others will end up going bad and he will end up having to have those pulled, too. Uggg...

They wanted a Thousand for my dog. Shit, it would probably be cheaper to fly her out there for tne procedure,
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Maybe because they were taking all of them at once? Or maybe the costs are just higher where you live. Not sure where you are located though.

Oh man, was he a sore boy last night. I did get him to eat a little bit of soft dog food last night and this morning, and got his antibiotics and pain pill in him. I just hope he can go back to eating hard food again. The Vet said he will be able to and I could start him on that right away. But damn!!! I bet his mouth is sore as shit now,....I wouldn't want to crunch up hard food. I will keep him on the soft for a few days, and may try wetting down his hard food tonight, to see if he can get it down that way.

I am glad I did it. My girlfriend's dog's teeth went bad a year ago and she waited to long. He got a bad infection that went into his nasal cavity and then to his brain. He was gone really fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I have a toy poodle and over the last year his breath has become so BAD and you can see his teeth have major plaque. I should of got his teeth cleaned last year...the Vet said he was borderline to needing it then. But he seemed fine and to be honest...I didn't want to shell out $150 plus bucks. *sigh* I feel like shit, and I love my dog and take good care of him, but life throws a lot at you and we do have three daughters we are still raising. Sometimes you need to make choices...so he was put on the back burner.

So....I went to pick up Monet,...and he had 8 teeth that were majorly loose and 11 that were compromised/infected. So they pulled 19 today. I knew he had lost one in front a couple of weeks ago...that is what got me to take him to the vet. They also found a back molar missing..so the dog is now missing 21 teeth..with 15 remaining. 3 of the remaining they want to watch..they are questionable. The poor boy is laying with me on the couch and being such a trooper. I should have shelled out the $150 bucks and had his teeth cleaned once every year and avoided this....but I didn't. Lord...I just feel so bad and guilty. Like I said before...I never had to deal with this with my other poodles...but they didn't live this long, either.

I live in Iowa...and they knocked him out and took 19 teeth and it was $358 bucks. I just have the feeling that the others will end up going bad and he will end up having to have those pulled, too. Uggg...

Try not to feel guilty. I'm sure you love your pet, but sometimes our $ just have to be spent other places. I'm sure you love your dog and he'll be fine in a day or 2.
    Jazzy likes this.

The teeth thing kind of creeps up on you. We had a maltese who seemed to just one day have really bad breath, it was so bad it made me gag. We took him to the vet not knowing what was causing it and he said his teeth needed to be cleaned. So we had it done and then we started to clean his teeth with doggy toothpaste once a week. Over the next couple of years we noticed he just started to slowly loose them, they just fell out.

We continued to brush what he had and gave him more bones, he did take longer to eat them but he managed ok. He did live until he was almost 14 so it didn't affect his life span or his general health, albeit when he died he didn't have many left bless him.

Try not to feel bad, clearly you love your fur baby. I love his name too, it is so cute. We just 4 weeks ago bought a toy poodle and he is so sweet, adorable and smart. They are beautiful dogs.

Poodles are such smart and loving dogs. I swear I won't ever get another pet after Monet goes,...but if I did, it would be hard to switch to another breed. I have had 3 other poodles in my life, and they have all been good dogs. Potty training done in a day or two, never chewing shit up, very smart and quick to learn tricks and things, and NO SHEDDING!!! I love all of these things and it is hard to compromise them on trying out a different breed of dog, even though there are some cute ones out there!!

The other poodles I had as a child, had health issues and had to be put down, and one was hit by a car. So they never lived long enough to have this teeth issue. My boy Monet also started having seizures a couple years ago, and that is something I have never had with a poodle in the past, either.

Oh, and thank you about his name. I am sure it wouldn't shock you to know my dogs full name is Monet Motley...lol Named after my favorite French Impressionist, Claude Monet, and of course, Motley Crue!! What did you name your fur baby, Jazzy?? And what color is he?

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Poodles are such smart and loving dogs. I swear I won't ever get another pet after Monet goes,...but if I did, it would be hard to switch to another breed. I have had 3 other poodles in my life, and they have all been good dogs. Potty training done in a day or two, never chewing shit up, very smart and quick to learn tricks and things, and NO SHEDDING!!! I love all of these things and it is hard to compromise them on trying out a different breed of dog, even though there are some cute ones out there!!

The other poodles I had as a child, had health issues and had to be put down, and one was hit by a car. So they never lived long enough to have this teeth issue. My boy Monet also started having seizures a couple years ago, and that is something I have never had with a poodle in the past, either.

Oh, and thank you about his name. I am sure it wouldn't shock you to know my dogs full name is Monet Motley...lol Named after my favorite French Impressionist, Claude Monet, and of course, Motley Crue!! What did you name your fur baby, Jazzy?? And what color is he?
    LoL well its a cute name and a cool name. Our maltese died of old age and I still miss him, he died almost 5 years ago and we swore we would never own another dog EVER lol. My husband bought him for me on a whim as a surprise (not a good idea really at all to buy a pet on a whim, I think he was my empty nest present…) and for the first 2 weeks I ummed and arred about keeping him, its a big commitment.

Anyway I googled and read up about the breed because I had no clue about toy poodles, and I did read that they are prone to seizures and
    PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). So I had him vet checked he's fine but they can't tell if he will get these problems later. I also read that the poodle breed is second on the list of the smartest dogs. So I have him now and he is in puppy school (boy I have too much free time these days) and he gets on with my bird so he is staying.

He is so gentle and sweet and I adore him. Its amazing how you can love them so quickly. Everything you said about them is true they are beautiful.

Oh and his name is Max and he is black and looks exactly like this picture but it is not him.

Last edited by Jazzy; July 31st, 2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo
    cherrypye likes this.

I'm about a month into using this and it's working, not entirely sure how - think it softens the tartar somehow making it easier to scrape off when they chew.

It comes with a tiny little spoon and you just chuck it in with their food once a day, dead easy. My boy is 12 and I can snog him again without retching, good times.

Plaque Off Dog, 60 g: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I will check that out, Belt!

Awww Jazzy,...I am sure Max is a little sweetie and cute as all get out!! I like the black ones the best. No tear stained fur around the eyes, making them look rusty and dirty. They are such sweet babies and VERY smart!! I am sure you miss your other doggie, but I am glad you have another fur baby to love!!

And yes, some poodles are born having seizures, develop them over the first year or so, or later in life. Mine started when he was close to 10. But I have had 2 other poodles in my life, and neither had seizures that we were ever aware of. I wasn't aware of the eye issue, either. Just make sure to brush his teeth and stay in the habit. We did with Monet the first year or so, but got lax about it, and then he started fighting us when we would attempt it. The treats for their teeth and breath help, too.

JadeStar your make poodle name is Monet? Cute
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Yep! He is a good boy,...just getting old.

That's my real name!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I named him after Claude Monet,...so you are too? lol
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information