Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By fgg
  • 2 Post By fgg

Thread: FYI Take Your Pets To A Vet ASAP If They Do This

Default FYI Take Your Pets To A Vet ASAP If They Do This

Take Your Pets To A Vet ASAP If They Do This. Recognizing This Behavior Could Save Their Lives.

Share Tweet Share Email Stumble Share Share

This is something every pet parent should know about!
    Take a close look at the photos below. When a dog or cat does this, it’s a potential sign that they are sick and need to go to a veterinarian. If you notice your dog or cat pressing their heads against a wall, floor or other object for no apparent reason, your pet could have a dangerous medical condition.
    This information was originally written by DogHeirs.com. and republished here because this is definitely something that is Reshareworthy.

The behavior is called “head pressing”, and it is characterized by the compulsive act of pressing the head against something solid for extended periods of time.

Head pressing generally indicates damage to the nervous system or a neurological condition or illness and it is very important that you take your dog or cat to a veterinarian for diagnosis.

The causes of head pressing behavior can be varied, but may include:
    • prosencephalon disease (in which the forebrain and thalamus parts of the brain are damaged)
    • tumors (e.g. brain or skull)
    • liver shunt
    • toxic poisoning (e.g. lead poisoning)
    • metabolic disorder, such as hyper or hyponatremia (too much, or too little sodium in the body’s blood plasma)
    • stroke
    • encephalitis (inflammation of the brain and spinal cord. Many things can cause encephalitis. Infectious causes include bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi and tick-transmitted disease).
    • hepatic encephalopathy (metabolic disorder as result of liver disease)
    • infection of the nervous system (rabies, parasites, bacterial, viral or fungal infection)
    • head trauma

Head pressing should not be confused with normal behaviors like a dog or cat affectionately “head butting” a person.

Head pressing can be just one symptom among other behaviors and symptoms of neurological problems. Other behaviors and symptoms can include:
    • constant pacing
    • walking in circles
    • face rubbing (pushing head into ground)
    • getting stuck in corners
    • staring at walls
    • damaged reflexes
    • visual problems
    • seizures

By recognizing head pressing and other neurologically-related symptoms in your dog or cat, you could potentially save their lives.

Republished with permission from DogHeirs.com.

Read more at Take Your Pets To A Vet ASAP If They Do This. Recognizing This Behavior Could Save Their Lives.

JFC I won't be able to have pets anymore. Dental work and now possible head pressing syndrome.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Bronze Member

Gahhh!! you just took me back 30 yrs . I was still living at home, my brother called me at work saying that the stray cat we took in was acting weird.
    It was crying and putting it's head against the wall. Left work early and straight to the vet. Poor baby couldn't be saved

Quote Originally Posted by Tex-ass View Post
    Gahhh!! you just took me back 30 yrs . I was still living at home, my brother called me at work saying that the stray cat we took in was acting weird.
    It was crying and putting it's head against the wall. Left work early and straight to the vet. Poor baby couldn't be saved
    That's so sad I'm sorry.

fgg

that article basically described everything that my sweet rescue sasha was doing in the few months that i had her. a few (of what became many!) visits in to my ownership of her, the vet mentioned that he thought she might have neurological problems and i thought he was crazy. on her last day, she was doing the head pressing all morning and i just new it was the end. she had to be put down that day because her body was shutting down.

here's a picture of my sweet saucy:

she was only in my family for 4 months but we gave her the best times of her life, i just know it. just before she passed away, my bf carried her while he mowed the whole yard so she could be with him.
    dksnj, laynes, Lalasnake and 7 others like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Ohh...she was a gorgeous dollie!!! So sorry, fgg!! How heart breaking!! Sorry you had to go through that.

Okay,...I don't think my dog does this head pressing thing,...but he does rub the side his face and then continues on down to his neck and back on the recliner and couch, and then rolls/wiggles on the floor. I take this as his way of rubbing/scratching his face and back. He usually does it when he first comes in from outside and it hyper and frisky, and he only does it once. Should I be worried?

And,...did someone mention dental issues? Where is the thread for that? I just took my 12 year old poodle, Monet, in today for a dental cleaning, and he had to have half his teeth pulled. I have NEVER had a dog that has had to have this done. I have had 2 other poodles, but both ended up with health issues and had to be put asleep before age 10,...so that is probably why. I go get him in about 90 minutes and I am a nervous wreck. Not sure how he will eat or how to do this one at all,....argggg I just put our old dog (she made it 17 years, 7 months and 2 days) down in February,...and I thought I had a few more good years before NayNay started in with the geriatric issues.....
    Last edited by JadeStar70; July 14th, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    that article basically described everything that my sweet rescue sasha was doing in the few months that i had her. a few (of what became many!) visits in to my ownership of her, the vet mentioned that he thought she might have neurological problems and i thought he was crazy. on her last day, she was doing the head pressing all morning and i just new it was the end. she had to be put down that day because her body was shutting down.

here's a picture of my sweet saucy:

she was only in my family for 4 months but we gave her the best times of her life, i just know it. just before she passed away, my bf carried her while he mowed the whole yard so she could be with him.
    oh my goodness FGG! I had no idea ( I must have missed that!). Poor baby, and poor you.
    Free Charmed.

fgg

thank you! it was really heartbreaking to go through all of that. i tried everything but there was nothing that could save her by the time the end had come.

Oh, fgg, when did this happen? And how old was your sweetie? Still, when they're that ill, there really only is one choice.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

fgg

i had to put her down the day before last thanksgiving. when i adopted her, i was told she was three but the numerous vets who saw her thought maybe she was closer to 10 because of the condition of her teeth. i had to have 9 or so teeth pulled as soon as i got her. not only was it a tragic thing to deal with emotionally, it cost me a lot of money. i have a very bad taste in my mouth about the humane society around here because of it. i was told after the fact that there were a lot of sick dogs adopted out so quite a few people had to deal with bad situations. really, she never should have been adopted out in the first place. however, i am glad that it was me who got her because i know no one else would have gone to the lengths that i went to or cared for her as much as i did.
    Novice and KrisNine like this.

Thread Information