Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Hero cat saves four year old boy from dog attack

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Hero cat saves four year old boy from dog attack

No scaredy cats here! Video shows dramatic moment Tara the fearless feline saved autistic boy, 4, from attack by neighbor's dog

• WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
    • Jeremy Triantafilo was outside his family's California home on Tuesday when the neighbor's dog escaped and grabbed him from behind
    • But the family cat, Tara, jumped on the dog and chased it away
    • The boy needed stitches and the dog has reportedly been euthanized
    • The incident was captured on surveillance cameras outside the home

An astonishing video has shown the moment that a family's cat came to the rescue of their four-year-old son after he was viciously attacked by a neighbor's dog.
    Jeremy Triantafilo was sitting on his bicycle outside his family's home in Bakersfield, California on Tuesday when the dog escaped its home through an open gate and crept up on him from behind.
    Surveillance footage, which Jeremy's father uploaded to YouTube, shows the dog grabbing the boy's leg and pulling him to the ground before violently shaking him with his teeth clamped tight.
    Scroll down for video - WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

+8

Lurking: Jeremy Triantafilo was outside his family's home when a neighbor's dog escaped and ran towards him

+8

Attack: The dog suddenly grabs the boy by the leg and pulls him to the ground before viciously shaking him

Cat saves boy from vicious dog attack in California

Then suddenly, an unlikely hero bounds towards him - the family's cat, Tara.
    The video shows the fearless feline jumping on the dog with enough force to push him away from the boy. Tara then chases the dog away from the driveway with its leg between its tail.

Satisfied that the animal has left the area, she then returns to her family to check on Jeremy, who is being comforted by his mother, Erica, who had been nearby.

The neighbor, who had been pulling out of their gated driveway when the dog escaped, called 911 for the boy and his mother, KERO reported.

+8

To the rescue! Tara the cat can be seen running towards her beloved owner as the dog shakes him

+8

Feline brave: The cat launches herself at the startled dog and knocks it away from Jeremy

+8

And don't come back! Tara follows the dog to make sure it has left, before returning to check on Jeremy
    The boy, who has mild autism, needed stitches to the deep wounds on his legs but is otherwise fine, his mother told the ABC affiliate.

'Tara is my hero,' Jeremy said, adding that she saved him from 'a mean dog - I got an owie!'

The dog was taken by Bakersfield Animal Control. TMZ reported that it continued to be aggressive after it was captured and has been euthanized.

The encounter was caught on surveillance cameras outside the home and uploaded to YouTube by the boy's father, Roger Triantafilo, on Wednesday.

Injuries: Jeremy needed stitches to the wounds on his leg, pictured, but is otherwise fine, his mother said

+8

Hero: Tara the cat sits for her first interview with Jeremy, whose bandaged leg can be seen

+8

Loved: The cat happily lets the little boy kiss her as he calls her a hero who saved him from a 'mean dog'
    'My cat defends my son during a vicious dog attack and runs the dog off before he can do additional damage,' Triantafilo wrote beneath the video. 'Thankfully, my son is fine!'
    He added to KERO: 'I've never seen a cat do that. Especially ours. It just shows how much she really has a family-oriented mind set.'

The boy's mother said on Facebook: 'We aren't upset with our neighbors, we're just thankful our son wasn't injured more... Our cat is my hero!'

'Whoever said cats don't love their owners!' one YouTube viewer said.

+8

Relief: Jeremy's parents, Erica and Roger, pictured, said they were relieved his injuries were not worse

Read more: Video shows cat saving autistic boy, 4, from attack by neighbor's dog | Mail Online

This cat is fucking amazing! Go puss!
    Trixie, sprynkles and gas_chick like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Ok, I have PMS, but I'm welling up here...

Why did they euthanise the dog, though?
    ex-LaFolie
    "I hear Chris Hemsworth's Oscar nominee announcements were dubbed by Marni Nixon" - Witchcurlgirl

^ Randomly aggressive dogs don't get second chances.
    chartreuse likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^^ My guess is they euthanized the dog because it just ran out of it's yard, into this yard and attacked the boy. I'm not usually one to think a dog should ever be put down, but damn this is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by ZabriskiePoint View Post
    Ok, I have PMS, but I'm welling up here...

Why did they euthanise the dog, though?
    Because it made an unprovoked attack on a small child and continued to be aggressive following its capture. The dog was clearly a danger to people and if Tara the cat hadn't been there and fought the dog off the chances are that Jeremy would have been much more badly mauled and perhaps even killed. Also they will need to test the dog for rabies and as far as I know there is no way to test an animal while it is alive as it involves dissection of the brain.
    McJag, Bluebonnet and Honeythorn like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

^ And the article says "it continued to be aggressive after it was captured"

Still sad though.

eta: cross post with kitty
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

People don't think of cats as being protective of their owners and usually consider it to be more of a dog's thing but once they decide you are their Hoomin they'll defend you with everything they have. When my BFF/Roomie and I got into real humdinger arguments our eldest cat Tessa would get very, very protective of me and growled and swiped at my Bestie more than once. And when the Bloke had a full blown hypo the other week Pandora came and sat on him and glared daggers at the paramedics and watched their every move and didn't relax until he started coming to himself enough to talk to her and pet her.

I think it's really sad. I feel sad for the dog, too. Who knows why he was that way. Breaks my heart. But, it would be terrifying to live near a dog like that. Aggressive dogs are scary. Several years ago, when I had my first Lab, she was attacked by a dog at the dog park that was randomly aggressive. Attacked her and she bled. Attacked other dogs and had done it before. The owner was oblivious.

I have been watching that video all day. That cat is fantastic! She was in no mood to put up with that vicious dog.

Speaking of that dog,he could never have been trusted again. Even if I had been his owner,he had to go. Something terrible is wrong with him.
    southernbelle likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I'm like, 99.999% dog person but this one goes to the felines for sure. Meow, kitties. meow.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

My usually non-aggressive dog get a little crazy at cyclists and roller bladers. Obviously she is always on the leash..but for whatever reason a human on wheels sets her off. She is usually sweet (a 65 lb lap dog) and I'm not sure if she would actually bite them...and I'm sure as hell never going to let her loose to find out.

Who knows what made that dog snap? The owners should have kept a better eye on him. Why was he just out and about? Sad.

I'm not a "cat person" per se.. but give this kitty a medal. That was pretty bad ass!

Now you know why lots of us love kitties the way we do.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I loved my kitty, but I'm certain he wouldn't have given a shit about a dog attacking me He was pretty, but dumb.

Seeing that dog drag the boy is blood chilling. God know what he would have done if it had not been for that kick ass cat. I've never seen a cat be so protective of it's human. Amazing. Kitty will be winning a lot of awards for bravery for that. I wonder what Grumpy cat thinks about this.
    laynes and Bluebonnet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    People don't think of cats as being protective of their owners and usually consider it to be more of a dog's thing but once they decide you are their Hoomin they'll defend you with everything they have. When my BFF/Roomie and I got into real humdinger arguments our eldest cat Tessa would get very, very protective of me and growled and swiped at my Bestie more than once. And when the Bloke had a full blown hypo the other week Pandora came and sat on him and glared daggers at the paramedics and watched their every move and didn't relax until he started coming to himself enough to talk to her and pet her.
    Our 17 year old can't stand it when hub and I bicker. The worst we ever do is slightly raise our voices, but he starts batting at each of us, meows and complains until we stop bickering. The other kitties don't care though.

I do feel sorry for the dog cause something must have been wrong with him. I've known of 2 dogs who suddenly went aggressive due to brain tumors, maybe that's the case with this dog. But at any rate, lucky little boy to have a cat who is so protective of him.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information