Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By KrisNine
  • 2 Post By ManxMouse

Thread: Mantecore, the White Tiger That Mauled Roy in 2003, Dies at 17

Default Mantecore, the White Tiger That Mauled Roy in 2003, Dies at 17

Roy Mourns 'Majestic' Tiger That Nearly Mauled Him to Death

Done

View photo
    Siegfried & Roy with Mantecore (Everett Digital)

Las Vegas is mourning the loss of one of its most famous stars: Mantecore, the white tiger that performed alongside magic heavyweights Siegfried & Roy, has died. The 17-year-old animal passed away on March 19 after a brief illness.Mantecore appeared in literally thousands of shows during the magicians' run at The Mirage, but will also undoubtedly be remembered for mauling Roy Horn on stage just over a decade ago. The attack had occurred on the entertainer's 59th birthday and landed him in critical care in the hospital.
    Roy ultimately survived, though he was left partially paralyzed, and the tiger was quarantined for 10 days while professionals tried (unsuccessfully) to determine what caused his violent behavior. Not surprisingly, the flamboyant duo was forced to close their record-breaking show following the frightening incident, effectively ending their famed careers.
    After the show ended and Mantecore was medically cleared, he was returned to The Mirage's Secret Garden of Siegfried & Roy attraction, where he remained.
    Still, the 79-year-old Las Vegas vet has never blamed the 380-pound animal for what happened. And while no one ever figured out what set Mantecore off, Roy thinks he knows.
    "The world has lost one of its most majestic creatures and I have lost a brother," he said in a statement following Mantecore's passing. "I will forever believe it was his concern for my safety and well-being that caused him to act as he did on that night long ago. We spent many hours together and he never failed to bring me great joy and wonderment. It was my great honor to be beside him at the end. He is now playing with his siblings in White Tiger heaven."
    "His contribution to the avalanche of awareness for conservation and preservation has made him unforgettable," Roy mused. "His spirit will live forever with Siegfried & Roy and his multitude of fans."

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...155645168.html
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Wasn't it Chris Rock that said the tiger didn't go crazy, the tiger went tiger? I always think of that when I hear about wild animals attacking their owners.

RIP.
    Laurent, laynes and JazzyGirl like this.

however misguided it is to make wild animals perform for our entertainment -- and that's a HUGE problem for me -- it does say a lot for Roy that he supported and stuck by Mantecore the whole time.

Now go into the underworld and maul Fred Phelps!
    Bluebonnet and Just Kill Me like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I was just about to say that it's wonderful that the tiger wasn't immediately euthanized after what happened with him and Roy, which seems to be the reaction of choice when an animal behaves like an animal.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I was just about to say that it's wonderful that the tiger wasn't immediately euthanized after what happened with him and Roy, which seems to be the reaction of choice when an animal behaves like an animal.

I'm pretty sure he thought the tiger was trying to "save him" by dragging him off stage. Maybe, maybe not? But I definitely appreciate that they didn't put him down. Roy has always said how much he loved Mantecore.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I'm pretty sure he thought the tiger was trying to "save him" by dragging him off stage. Maybe, maybe not? But I definitely appreciate that they didn't put him down. Roy has always said how much he loved Mantecore.
    He does believe that. He wholeheartedly believes the tiger was trying to save him. I'm glad they didn't put him down.

I think he might be right in this case. Those tigers would loll all over them on a daily basis but who knows? I get why he feels that way. Wild is wid,I guess.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information