Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small birds/Pets are NOT disposable

Default Small birds/Pets are NOT disposable

Went to Petsmart earlier and of course noticed a few idiots. Some dumb woman wanted to buy a blue macaw (which is like 10,000) because she said the bird would match the decor in her house..No fucking joke. And she wanted to trade in the sun conure because it is loud..and and eye sore. http://www.parrots4parties.com/image...unconure1a.jpg

So then as I was still looking...because no one that works there knows where shit is..another woman comes in with a small child..and apparently a sick parakeet...she doesn't want to pay the vet bill, so she just wants to buy a new prettier parakeet for the little monster..
    So dumping a sick animal..because you don't want to pay a small vet bill, so you get one that is "more prettier" is okay.. I could see if you couldn't afford it..but it seems so unfair that people that small birds and animals are disposable. Parakeets here cost around $20, and the damn bill couldn't be more than 25..and you would rather just get a new pet..it just seems so wrong. And about the idiot that said the macaw would fit with the decor..so wrong..
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Default Re: Small birds/Pets are NOT disposable

This doesn't surprise me in the least. If someone can feel this disconnected from a pet as to regard it as disposable,you've really got to wonder if they extend the lack of compassion to human beings in their lives as well.

In a similar vein, I was in an art gallery and was totally floored when a woman pulled out paint chips. The art had no meaning for her; she just wanted it to match her sofa.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I totally agree, it's sickening that any living creature would be considered disposable. Years ago, hubby and I shipped our Guinea Pig overseas with us, and lots of people declared us insane for "wasting" money.

I agree also, kudos for taking your Guinea Pig with you. Dumping animals is inexcusable, in my mind.
    I had a neighbor once who took her little 5 year old dog to the pound, because he pooped on the floor once when he was sick. She didn't even call the vet. I couldn't believe it, she told me way too late (maybe on purpose?).
    I was sick for days, couldn't believe it, she seemed to love the dog and
    treated it well, but how she could do that was totally beyond me.

Can't figure out the humans sometimes..........

I can't either..very evil to do that.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

The only problem with the parakeet story is that there are very few vets out there that would treat a sick parakeet. Even parrot doctors are reluctant to treat small birds so if your small bird gets ill you're usually stuck treating it as best you can with antibiotic drops in it's water or whatever.

Pet stores treat them no better. I've gotten a number of parakeets for free from the local pet store with something wrong with them, like a broken leg or wing and been able to fix the injury, reset the leg/wing and they were fine. The pet store will usually put an injured small bird down by breaking it's neck, not during any sort of medical treatment. So that disposability is also practiced by the pet stores as well.

SVZ

Do you guys clip your birds wings? I always thought that was really cruel, but I never understood what exactly they clipped

The Parakeet Goddess surely is blessing UndercoverGator for his healing hands and knowledge.

SVZ I also thought that clipping birds wings was cruel, until I had a roommate with two Cockatiels (Lovey and Licious) and Eli, a Double Yellow Headed Amazon Parrot (hope I remember the name right). The wings aren't clipped, per se, just some of the longest flight feathers. They grow back and need to be clipped periodically if the human wants them to not be able to fly away, like if a door or window is open.
    Almost all of the US is just too cold and doesn't have the right type of food or shelter available for these tropical pet birds, and being outside away from their human's homes is often a death sentence.
    However, there is a colony of parrots in San Francisco that has thrived for years, probably the progeny of, and, the original escapees from humans, they are living just fine. SF has a very mild climate all year long, and there are also people who help the birds because they love them...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

People suck.

I recall reading an article about a very nice man who started a dalmatian rescue after all these idiots saw the Disney movie and just had to have one. Well, they are not the easiest dogs for several reasons, but this man was amazed at some of the resons he got for why people were giving the dogs up. I'll never forget he said one lady brought the dog to the shelter because she had redecorated and his spotted black and white coloring didn't match her new decor. Sick bitch.

Oh, how I wish my hubby and I hadn't debated about clipping our parrotlet's wings. He flew out the door, and despite hours of trying to get him out of the trees, he kept perching further, and higher. We knew he was doomed. We put fliers on all the neighbor's doors to keep an eye out for him, but we never saw him again. If we ever have another bird, those wings will be clipped regularly.

And, to get to the original topic...yes, those stories are horrendous. Stupid cruel people.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    The only problem with the parakeet story is that there are very few vets out there that would treat a sick parakeet. Even parrot doctors are reluctant to treat small birds so if your small bird gets ill you're usually stuck treating it as best you can with antibiotic drops in it's water or whatever.

Pet stores treat them no better. I've gotten a number of parakeets for free from the local pet store with something wrong with them, like a broken leg or wing and been able to fix the injury, reset the leg/wing and they were fine. The pet store will usually put an injured small bird down by breaking it's neck, not during any sort of medical treatment. So that disposability is also practiced by the pet stores as well.
    No that doesn't happen at all pet stores. I know first hand that doesn't happen at Petco. They take their animals to the local vet (even the mice) and the employees must put it in the sick room where it is given it's medication. I don't think it's fair to lump pet stores into one category because you think that one does that.

A large number of pet stores have been caught killing unwanted/sick animals. Frankly, anybody who patronizes a pet store other than to buy food/toys needs their head checked -- there are literally millions of animals begging to be adopted from reputable agencies.

KD
    Elite Member

Aren't places like Petco working with local shelters for their cats and dogs though? I know mine is. I know they do sell small pet there, but I like that they at least work with the animals in the shelters.

Went to the pound this one time, which is torturous in and of itself, but this old female Dauchsand was there. Her name was Roxy and her family who had had her for 10+ years took her to the pound when she got a cancerous tumor. Wasn't that sweet of them?

My favorite reason for not keeping a pet is "we are moving and can't take." Where in the FUCK are you moving to, Jupiter?

Yes, I love that "excuse," too. Another favourite is "I just had a baby" as if you couldn't possibly have a child AND a pet. It just breaks my heart.

I found an old dog in great distress wandering around my former neighbourhood. The owners had apparently just dropped it off on the other side of town because it was "old." Who the fuck are these people and why are there so many of them? I only hope their family does the same thing to them some day.

KD
    Elite Member

My kitty, Hank, was a stray that a lady put an ad in the paper for. She already had several cats, but put an ad in that said very friendly, grey, male cat to good home. I went and saw him and brought him home. She even offered to pay for his neuter, a $70+ procedure. This is an older lady on a fixed income. She was going to have to take him to the pound if no one wanted him. Turns out, he was already fixed and the SWEETEST cat in the world. He is kind of the cul-de-sac cat and one family wanted him for their very own even. Loves to have his belly rubbed. Anyway, my point? This older lady paid to have an ad placed in the paper for several weeks and offered to fix him if someone would take him. Good definately exists.

We have had him about 2 years now, and I am so glad we answered that ad. I made a promise to myself that ALL my cats will be from the pound/strays and will be CATS. Although nothing is cuter than a kitten, people will take kittens, older cats, notsomuch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information