Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Oscar

Default Oscar

I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I'm just kind of going through the motions now. I just buried my companion of the last ten years, Oscar. Oscar and I had been through it all. I adopted this three legged mutt in 2004 as a single young person, and he was by my side through my marriage and both of my children. He had a horrendous underbite; he scared adults and children, and definitely wasn't going to win any beauty contests. In 2004, the vet at the shelter informed me that Oscar probably had about two or three good years left in him, so to enjoy my time with him and not get too attached. Ten years later, I guess he proved him wrong! To give the vet credit, no one could accurately estimate his age because his teeth were in terrible shape due to horrendous abuse he had suffered. This poor guy came into the shelter dragging his leg that someone had attempted to saw off and gave up when they got tired. His back was broken and someone had taken a lighter and burned a "z" pattern across his rear end. They basically just beat the shit out of him and left him for dead. To say it took a while for him to trust me is definitely an understatement, but he grew to love me and I him in return. We had an understanding; like me, too much affection embarrassed him to no end so we knew when to keep our distance. I cried while he left this world, I cried while I buried him under his magnolia tree, and I'm crying while I try to type this now. Damn, it hurts to lose a friend.

I'm writing this because Oscar went to the vet today for what both the vet and me thought would be a routine tooth extraction. I barely said goodbye to him because I knew I would come back to get him in a couple of hours. The vet called me shortly after he went under sedation to let me know Oscar had a tumor on his tongue that extended down into his throat. She said it was the largest one she had ever seen in twenty years of practice and would only be a short time before it slowly began to strangle him. She recommended euthanizing him before he woke up from sedation. I had to come see him, and when I got there, I agreed with her assessment. She said at this point, the most aggressive treatment would buy him about three months, all of which would be painful. The reason I want everyone to know what happened is that Oscar's ONLY symptom was the occasional drooling that had only been occurring for about 2 weeks. He was eating fine and acting like his normal self in all other aspects. Apparently drooling in a dog that normally refrains is usually a symptom of something very serious, ranging from rabies to an abscess (what we were hoping for) to a tumor. This might not have helped Oscar out in the slightest, but I could at least have prevented some of the pain he undoubtedly experienced towards the end.

I am so grateful I got to be with him in the last moments of his life, and that he doesn't have to suffer any longer. He was very proud (almost "cat-like" in his attitude) and would have been embarrassed if we had had to watch him deteriorate. Maybe he's somewhere running like crazy with all four legs again and straight, pretty teeth

Below are pictures of the tumor, which you might not want to look at if you have a weak stomach. This had grown this large in my dog, and his ONLY symptom was the unusual drooling, so please, if you notice drooling that does not usual occur, resolve this medical issue immediately.

I'm so very sorry that you lost your best bud, Oscar. What a beautiful life you gave him and it sounds like he gave you all his love. I'm so glad that you were able to show him so much love and safety in the 10 years you had him. He was loved and I'm sure he knew it.

Your story brought a tear to my eye.

RIP Oscar.

Oh, I am so sorry!! Letting them go is the hardest thing, I know. But take comfort in knowing you gave him a wonderful life, it sounds like he went through absolute hell before you rescued him (and I sincerely hope the piece(s) of shit who did that to him suffered 100 fold what they put him through). That tumor looks very nasty and letting him go before he started suffering shows how much you love him. Again, I am so very sorry for your loss.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Oh Flygirl. I'm so sorry. Bless your heart for being such a fantastic mom to Oscar. I'm so glad you got ten years with each other.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Thank you all very much. I know that sounded a little over dramatic, but maybe his story will help someone else detect something a little sooner than I did. I'm fighting some pretty bad guilt right now that he had something that bad in his mouth/throat and I didn't pick up on it at all.

Flygirl,most of us have suffered through this terrible pain. I am glad you and he did not know what was coming. You were able to love him without worry up to his last moments. He lived because of your love. He went knowing he was adored.
    Watch carefully and keep your heart open. He will send you a new dog,a dog who is desperate for love just as he was so long ago. Many hugs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Flygirl, don't beat yourself up over this. My dog was going through a lot of medical issues for the last 6 months to 1 year of her life. She used to get fatty lipomas all the time. We noticed one that didn't look quite right. Took her to the vet and had it tested. Came back as fatty lipoma and that was it. It kept getting bigger and just didn't look right. When we finally moved back to where our old vet was, we took her in. Instantly, she knew it wasn't a lipoma. It was cancer. We removed it and her prognosis was excellent. Then, she got some swelling in her legs. Lots of drainage and antibiotics and we never knew what it was. Just issue after issue with no real answers. Eventually, we found out that she had cancer that was fairly aggressive. Not much we could do. I felt so much guilt. I think that's normal. Looking back, I did all I knew to do.

I would never think that drooling would be something more than a tooth issue. How would you have ever known? Take it easy on yourself.

So many wonderful things have been said before me, I just want you to know how very sorry I am to hear about sweet Oscar's passing. As soon as I stop typing Im going to look down every one of my animals throat and that's what your story will do for others. You may save lives by sharing this information and I thank you for that.

Flygirl, I am so so sorry. Please don't feel guilty, you were the best thing that ever happened to Oscar and I'm sure he knew it. Thank you for alerting others to this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Safe travels, Oscar.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

aw flygirl, what a tough story to tell. But, i'm sure if it can help one person/dog it will have been worth it for you to share.

Sounds to me like Oscar lucked out with you, and vice versa
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

What a ruggedly dashing, handsome hound, your Oscar is, Flygirl.

My deepest condolences to you and your family for the loss of your amazing, beautiful Fur Boy.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Oscar was beautiful. I am so so sorry for your loss.

What a sweet boy. Flygirl, don't feel guilty, I don't think anything you could've done differently would have ultimately had a different result under these circumstances. As it is, you rescued Oscar and gave him a safe, loving, happy life for a decade ---waaay past what was predicted --- that couldn't have been any better for him, I'm sure. He knew how much you loved and respected him. It's horrible and traumatic to have to put down a sick pet, I know b/c I've been there....but you just have to remember that it's the best, last gift you could give him: a peaceful, humane passing. And in time, let the happy, funny memories be what you think of when you remember Oscar.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Thank you all very much for the kind words. They really do mean a lot. I wanted to mention one more symptom he experienced that actually began a few years ago that early intervention might have helped. The tone of his bark changed. It became higher and hoarser. Looking back this absolutely was his first symptom of this tumor. Just another thing to look for in your animals. Take care of your babies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information