Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Housebreaking suggestions?

Default Housebreaking suggestions?

Ok.. as a person whose gone through several dogs before, I'm determined to make my new puppy a fully functional indoor dog. Previously, my family and I would just get frustrated with the poor animal and either make it an outdoor dog or give it away. I really want this pup to be the first puppy I can succesfully train. So.. I was wondering if you had any suggestions? I've already picked one word to associate eliminating with ("outside") but whenever I take him outside he just frolics around in the grass for 20 minutes and AS SOON as I bring him back inside he eliminates somewhere in the house. Its already happed twice on my bed, once in his crate, once in his brand new doggie bed and once in the living room. I've caught him in the act twice and I clapped my hands and said 'outside' and took him out but it was too late. I know I shouldnt reprimand him if I havent seen him do it and I havent, but I'm already getting a bit frustrated and I dont want to take it out on another poor, unsuspecting dog. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Housebreaking suggestions?

Well, Elmo was only a puppy like 8 yrs ago so I'm no expert but I think you should hang out with your pup outside for more than 20 min until he does his business. Take him out as often as you can, be patient and praise him when he does.

Are you paper training him? I think it is inevitable for him to have accidents inside so pick a designated area and lay some news papers down. Then you also put some news papers down when you take him outside, then he'd learn to do it on news papers. Slowly start removing news papers when he starts peeing and pooping outside. That's how I trained Elmo. He had his share of accidents inside though, he peed on the carpet, on the blankets and on my hubby's (then bf) lap etc when he was a puppy.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

the pup needs to be on a strict schedule. every 2 hours he goes out- praise the heck out of him- put in crate in between as much as you can for the first 2 weeks. never let him out of the crate while he's crying or barking- ever. he'll hate it at first but will appreciate being on a strict schedule in about a day or two. until the pup is at least 1 year old, expect accidents to happen occasionally as their bladder and whatnot is still forming. good luck.

crap.. ive already messed up. am i really supposed to leave him in his crate? i feel horrible listening to his whimpers and hes already pooped in there and i feel horrible making him get to the point where he soils himself.

that's strange that he went in the crate. how old is he? he might be in too large of a crate or maybe he just ate and didn't go? what breed? if he's a spaz then you're going to have to put him in the crate and try for 20 min - make SURE you do not let him out when whimpering/barking/crying as he will automatically think thats how to get out. after the 20 min, take him out to pee then put him back in. do this for 4 hours, then feed and play with him. take him out again and put him back in the crate. repeat this for 2 days straight and at night try to get him tired out before putting him in the crate. he'll whimper etc the first night but ignore it until at least 6am. be sure to use one syllable words and use a dominant voice. believe me, he will respect this and love you for it. if you yell at him he will not learn from it. if you rub his nose in his accident he will immediately have behavior problems and he will hate you for that and not learn from it.
    1) follow strict schedule
    2) use 1 syllable commands
    3) use dominant voice
    4) praise
    5) patience

He just turned 3 months old. Hes a dachshund, which I read are somewhat difficult to train because theyre pretty mischevious, but I dont know. I think he's accustomed to going wherever he wants to because the asses at Petland keep the dogs in kennels and the eliminate all over themselves 24/7. I'm just freaking out because I fed him at 8:30 and he STILL hasnt gone so I'm afraid to go to sleep because I dont want to wake up at 4 am to a fresh turd in the corner of my bedroom. I'd put him in the crate, but, again, I'm terrified he'll just use it as an excuse to soil himself in there again and I'll be stuck with a 4 am turd AND having to clean up his crate. Hes sleeping right now but I dont know what to do with him. Hes bound to wake up with the urge before dawn so I just dont know what to do.

hmmm, let me think about this a little because small dogs are a different story especially since he came from the pet store and require a different strategy. Still use one syllable commands with your dominant voice and always stick to the same schedule. Small dogs can take twice as long to housetrain.

A*O

1. Puppies have little bladder control so you have to keep taking him outside every few minutes, especially after meals, and PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE (even give a TINY reward like a bite of dried liver treat) when he pees/poops where he should. The same applies when you take him for walks.
    2. Watch him like a hawk indoors and if you think he's about to pee/poop (dogs often make circling/sniffing movements before then squat) then scoop him up and take outside and PRAISE again if he performs there.
    3. Let him sleep in a laundry or bathroom with newspapers on the floor. He will mess them but gradually move the papers near the door so he learns to head 'outside' for a pee/poo.
    4. Dogs respond much better to praise for doing the right thing than punishment when they screw up. If you actually catch him doing a pee/poo in the wrong place say a very firm NO! and take him outside and stay there until he does another, then praise. If you find a puddle that's even a few minutes old and yell at him he won't have a clue what you're talking about.

You have to establish yourself as the Top Dog and leader of the pack and be firm with him. I'm afraid it takes time, consistancy and patience. You can't leave him to his own devices and hope for the best. He has to be shown time and time again what's expected of him until he gets the message that he will be rewarded for getting it right.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i suggest keeping him in one room for awhile. have potty pads laid out and keep them in the same place each time you change them. keep his bed and food/water dish in the same spot not too far from the pads (but not too close either). take him outside right after you feed him and every other hour or two but keep him in the kitchen or wherever until he gets the routine.
    praise
    patience
    routine

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex
    crap.. ive already messed up. am i really supposed to leave him in his crate? i feel horrible listening to his whimpers and hes already pooped in there and i feel horrible making him get to the point where he soils himself.
    I personally would only suggest locking him up in the crate when noone's around at home to watch him or if you want your dog to sleep there. Crate is not a place for your puppy to pee or poop in (I doggy sat a puppy once who mistakenly was trained to go to the bathroom in her crate. Her irresponsible owners lived in an apartment where pets weren't allowed, so instead of taking the dog outside, they trained her to pee/poo in her crate). So as A*O suggested take him out as often as you can.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Accidents will and do happy when training. So don't feel bad.

I've heard about the puppy pads, basically like nappies you place on the floor and they have a scent that is appealing to dogs. The idea is to gradually move them to the door so that it's eventually outside. But unfortunately they never worked for Jake.

With Jake, me and the boyf used to pick him up as soon as he was about to wee or even in mid flow (it stops don't worry) Move him straight outide where he'd finish his business and praise him as if he's just done the most amazing thing in the entire world. "You good boy Jakey!! - good boy! - very clever clever boy! you're amazing........!"

You may get odd looks from your neighbours for a while but Jake learned really quickly.

A*O

I just used a few sheets of folded newspaper and praised the dogs if/when they used it. They quickly learned that the newspaper was the place to aim for if outside wasn't available for any reason. This stuff really isn't rocket science - you just have to be prepared to spend the time and effort on teaching your dog and be consistant.
    Dame Edna Everage

I'm afraid to go to sleep because I dont want to wake up at 4 am to a fresh turd in the corner of my bedroom
    I woke up every 3 hrs or so at night to take Elmo out for a pee/poo when he was a puppy. Maybe you and your family members can take a turn doing this for a while.

A*O

I wouldn't have the puppy sleeping in the bedroom at this early stage anyway. Make him a bed in the kitchen or laundry or even the bathroom (tiled floors!). I know they are cute as, but housetraining is more important at the moment.
    Dame Edna Everage

Lil

What on earth is a crate? It sounds awful, like a box to put the puppy in when you are tired of it. Can somebody explain as I'm sure it can't be that.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information