• 5 Post By Quazar
  • 2 Post By Quazar
  • 1 Post By Brookie
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 2 Post By Quazar

Thread: Sad But Amazing Rescue Page For New York/Tri-State Condemned Cats

Default Sad But Amazing Rescue Page For New York/Tri-State Condemned Cats

https://www.facebook.com/PetsOnDeathRow

This page breaks my heart, but they are doing INCREDIBLE work coordinating the literally endless efforts to save death row cats in New York's kill shelter. As they put it:

'“Pets on Death Row” was created to help advocate for NYC's Death Row Cats. A group of volunteers desperate to save lives has turned into a massive community of caring individuals all over the nation – and world. Together, we are fighting to reform the NYC shelter system and save the thousands of adoptable animals from being destroyed there each year. The war is long and we lose many battles on a nightly basis – but we will not give up.. not until there are no more in need of rescue.

This page is dedicated to giving a voice to those without. Everyday large numbers of adoptable animals are killed for reasons for reasons we believe unjustified. In most cases, these animals are loving, sensitive, and playful pets who simply lack a home. This page is their voice. Save a life. Don't shop, Adopt."'

Even though people out of the tri-state area (usually) can't adopt, they can share new death row cat pages amongst thousands of other people and rescue operations, and they can pledge money towards the rescue of individual cats, which are then redeemed post-rescue by the organizations involved. Sometimes a person CAN reserve a cat and adopt, but can't make it to the shelter within the narrow range of time to pick up; in such cases, many rescue organizations are available to pick up the cat in the adopter's place. There's an incredible amount of information on this very well-organized page. I can't imagine how hard these volunteers work, and the killing never stops. They update every cat's picture as to whether they made it out or not.

Some cats don't make it, but many are saved. The pictures alone are hard for me even to look at...those sad, scared little faces make me cry every damn time. I would save them all if I could. But anything, even just a drop in the bucket, a five dollar pledge, is better than nothing. Kill shelters are an abomination and as many cities and counties are proving nationwide (and worldwide) they are NOT necessary.

I know there are plenty of folks in the relevant area posting here, so even if you just feel like spreading the word...please, please do it. I donate and have volunteered w/a local rescue in the Bay Area, but for some reason this NYC situation just kills me.

A couple of sweet cats on tonight's death list:

Baby, who is very healthy and young, but tiny because of anemia due to flea infestation during his growth phase:

Tammy, who is nine. They save a surprising amount of older cats. One of the most wonderful kitties I ever had was ten when he found me. We were together for over ten more happy years. I will never forget the day I found that handsome orange meowhead sitting expectantly on my back porch way back in 2003.

palta, Trixie and Quazar like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I wish all of them could be saved.

I wish all of them could be saved too. I'm doing my best with 9 at my house.
    msdeb, Quazar, faithanne and 3 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

brookie, I know we have Kittylady, but to me you are now CatLady.
    Brookie likes this.

My sister is a Cat Angel. She and my BIL (walking cat patsy) trapped all the feral cats by their house,had every single on fixed and shots given. They roam during the day but always return to her patio (cat city) at dusk. They are fed hand shredded roasted chicken by my BIL every evening. They won't go in the house except very severe weather. Her two cats (feral rescues as tiny kittens) are not fond of their assorted brothers & sisters at all!
    If everyone that could would just neuter a few cats this heatbreak could be cut way down.
    yanna, palta, Quazar and 1 others like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

McJ, one of my DSW managers does this as well. There are a couple of females she hasn't been able to trap, and they keep giving birth at her house. I have two of her ferals at my house, Leo and Reesie - same mother, different litters, father is who the hell knows? We are the store crazy cat ladies.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    McJ, one of my DSW managers does this as well. There are a couple of females she hasn't been able to trap, and they keep giving birth at her house. I have two of her ferals at my house, Leo and Reesie - same mother, different litters, father is who the hell knows? We are the store crazy cat ladies.
    She enlisted the help of a local feral cat lady who can trap any cat with military precision! Even so it took them at least a full week to catch the last one.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah, I try to do my part by being cat mommy to some of these cats. Leo, Reesie and then brothers Bubba and Jasper from another friend who heads up a trap-and-release program. All my kitties are strays, ferals or barn cats. And I wouldn't trade any of them.
    McJag and Quazar like this.

- Mark Twain

I have never owned a cat. Always dogs. I like cats though, my parents just had dogs when we were kids.

A cat adopted my sister about a year ago and she says he's the coolest thing ever.

I know that site well unfortunately and I get updates from them every day. I have rescued 2 cats this way (one passed away 4 months after we got her she was loaded with cancer and blind). I also pledge to contribute to expenses and such when a rescue team pulls a cat/kitten. I actually pledged for Baby the other day - the white girl in the top photo - and am waiting to hear if she was pulled.

We work with a no-kill rescue org in NJ and network with many others. There are so many cats and dogs that need homes, it's staggering. We have 15 cats right now (down from 17 earlier this year) and so it is like we have our own little rescue in our home as well. When we retire we'd like to devote our lives to animal rescue and animal welfare. There are so many beautiful lives out there who will never know love and happiness and have so much to give. Instead they will lose their lives because of the "crime" of being homeless. When I start to think about it I lose my mind......
    McJag, Mivvi21, rockchick and 2 others like this.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

So Baby, the cat in the top photo has been saved by a great rescue org in NYC called Angelicle Cats. They save so many cats from the NY ACC. Not sure about Tammy's status yet...
    McJag and Brookie like this.

Baby is absolutely adorable.
    Quazar likes this.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I wish all of them could be saved too. I'm doing my best with 9 at my house.
    I've got eight, including two from an irresponsible friend of mine. He left them with me two years ago...for six months...not giving them back now. Especially not the adorable orange mouser! His other kitty is...drumroll...at least 22. I myself have known said kitty since late 1995. And he was a full grown cat of 4 or 5 then. He's a spry old tuxedo who eats everything that's not nailed down. I brush him and trim his claws each week or two, and am contemplating getting him on thyroid meds--not sure if he needs them though, he's startlingly healthy. A very sweet old cat, too, he likes the other cats and gets along with them.

My next oldest is fifteen. She's my best little friend. So pretty and ladylike and always full of things to say. She gets a special spoonful of ice cream now and then--vanilla is her favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    She enlisted the help of a local feral cat lady who can trap any cat with military precision! Even so it took them at least a full week to catch the last one.
    Our local hardware store sells the humane traps for only $20. They really work. You catch things you weren't expecting...raccoons get very offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    So Baby, the cat in the top photo has been saved by a great rescue org in NYC called Angelicle Cats. They save so many cats from the NY ACC. Not sure about Tammy's status yet...
    Tammy was saved too!! There was an old orange guy they're not sure about yet though. I have a sinking feeling about him because he was 12 and people are idiots. I mean...look at my 22 year old. I had an old marmalade kitty live past 20 this year. Cats are not like big dogs; well-cared-for indoor puddytats can often make it to 15 or 20 in good shape.

I love your retirement ideas, Quazar. I'll probably be doing the same thing. By then I hope to have a bigger property with a kitty outbuilding aka cat shack I can convert to a comfy dormitory, complete with climbing walkways and cool stuff like that. Also, I need a damn screened porch. With industrial strength screening! :-)
    Quazar likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Yes I just got notice that Tammy was saved too! I pledged for her as well. As much as Facebook is a pain-in-the-ass - tt has been fantastic for animal rescue. I could never get rid of it for that reason.

Kathie that is incredible that you have a 22 year old puss. How wonderful! I have a couple who are now 17 including a diabetic who needs insulin shots twice daily. She is a love and I think she has some good time left in her although she does look quite disheveled.

We are looking at moving out to the Bay Area in the next few years and will want to find a house with property where we can have room for the animals. We'll then see where it goes....
    McJag and Kathie_Moffett like this.

I wish I could go to NY and get all of these kitties and bring them home!!
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Thread Information