• 1 Post By Witchywoman
  • 1 Post By olivia
  • 2 Post By sluce
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By olivia

Thread: Our Donald

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Our Donald

I originally posted this in the "Awww" thread, but moved it.

Donald is our grey rescue cockatiel, and in late August, he became deathly ill due to metal intoxication. He rallied back; his will to survive is nothing short of phenomenal. One of the staff members at the avian veterinary hospital where he was treated called him "The Miracle Bird".

Our Donald has been to hell and back again, and we hope that this last incident will be the last of the Donald Drama, excepting good drama, of course.

I knocked up this pic last night in his honour...it's now my desktop pic. Just wanted to share with everyone.

I'm glad your pretty little Donald is doing better. They are such sweet and intelligent birds, I had a girl named Lucky Lila, found her under my car in a super market parking lot. How did he get metal poisoning?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Mr. Rachel often grinds metal, and strips copper wire outside. What he didn't know at the time is that small filaments of copper wire were stuck to his shirt when he came inside, and Donald eats with Mr. Rachel all the time during mealtimes. Donald ingested a few filaments of copper from hubby's shirt during a meal.

We saw the X-rays at the vets', and there were five or six tiny coils of copper in Donald's system.

Donald was on IV treatment from a Monday until Friday, and once that treatment was over, we brought him home to recover further. We had to dose him with four different meds using eye-dropper type syringes for two weeks, and he recovered.

Needless to say, if Mr. Rachel works with his metal, he immediately changes his shirt when he comes inside after Donald's incident. I don't mind telling you that we both blubbered like babies due to Donald's illness.

Thank you for your kind words...I'll tell Donald.

We have been bird owners/lovers for years and adore cockatiels. They are indeed sweet for the most part, and they are highly intelligent. How long did you have your Lucky Lila? She was lucky to have been found by you!

Donald came to us via an acquaintance; Donald landed on his balcony, hungry. Our pal offered Donald a bit of bread, and Donald hopped onto his hand to eat it; his wings had been clipped, but obviously not enough as he escaped his original home.

Pal called Mr. Rachel about Donald and my hubby grudgingly answered, "Bring him over." (We do rescue on a small scale for parrots).

Turns out that hubby loves Donald more than any bird we have ever had -- those two are thick as thieves!

Tiels can be sneaky, too, can't they? Gotta love 'em!

Donald smiles, too...here he is visiting the old woman's computer area:

Wow what a story. Mr. Rachel should also be checked for heavy metals. Poor little Donald he went through a lot. I had to give Lila up to a bird sanctuary. I became ill and couldn't care for the 3 cats, two dogs and my horse. She wasn't getting the attention she needed. I also had to sell my horse, my house and move out of the area. I had to completely downsize. So Im plugging along trying to get well now.
    olivia likes this.

Elite Member

So sorry to hear about your illness Witchy. Though it was probably unbearably painful, admitting you couldn't take care of your horse and bird anymore was so noble. I don't know if I could handle that myself. One has to be honest and do what's best for the animal. <hugs> to you. Hope you are on the mend!

Rachel, I adore birds. My life isn't settled enough to get one right now. They take so much tending and I'd be neurotic about their health and safety. Your cockasqueal is such a proud little fellow. Too cute! I want!
    Witchywoman likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Rachel - do you like Black birds or is that not a good color for you? That bird looks like a Boris or a Pippin to me, and like he needs some stolen beers.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; October 19th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Icepik and Brookie like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Holy shit.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    . Mr. Rachel should also be checked for heavy metals.
    And racism.
    chartreuse likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Holy shit.
    Bird shit at that.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Wow!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

I am so slooooow. The bird collecting/beer stealing/racist had disappeared completely from my mind. Never gave her another thought after she was hit by the bus.
    Brookie and Quazar like this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I thought I was imagining things with her old-timey jargon and bird posts. Guess not. Nice catch!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I wonder whether the oxyhubby and Boris have branched out from beer stealing and also incorporate copper wire stealing into their business? Because the hubby does like to grind metal and strip copper wire, hence Donald's internal issues. Poor Donald.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

It's also lying to refer to the bird as a rescue. He wasn't a rescue; he was a escapee. Real owner would have been frantic with worry while the people who found him just kept their mouths shut.

Finders/keepers is not a legal defense.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

Finders/keepers is not a legal defense.
    Unless it's beer apparently, then take what you want so long as it's on display and not on the shelves or in the fridge.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information