• 3 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 6 Post By Quazar
  • 1 Post By rockchick
  • 2 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 4 Post By Quazar
  • 2 Post By ManxMouse

Thread: Mickey Rourke Pledges $250,000 to Open Romanian Dog Shelter

Default Mickey Rourke Pledges $250,000 to Open Romanian Dog Shelter

I have to like him now, no way around it. The abuse and murder of stray dogs in Rumania is beyond horrific and there's open season now. It's one of the worst countries when it comes to animal abuse.

As well as being an accomplished actor, Mickey Rourke is also a huge dog lover. Last year while filming the thriller Dead in Tombstone in Romania, a stray dog wandered onto the set, and Rourke adopted her and called her Foxy. The sheer number of strays and their abysmal quality of life left such an impression upon him that he vowed to help more than just one.

So now Rourke is founding a sanctuary for the over 100,000 dogs that suffer on the streets or Bucharest. He has a goal of $2,000,000 is donating the first $250,000. There aren’t many more details known at this early stage of planning. There may be a spay/neuter program in place, which would greatly minimize the number of future dogs.

Rourke will visit Romania as often as necessary to oversee the sanctuary’s construction. Right now he is working on the acquisition of a piece of land that could sustain a football field-sized shelter. He is also warning away potential investors who are hoping to make money from this endeavor.

“Nobody will make any money from this investment,” Rourke declared.

Mickey Rourke Pledges $250,000 to Open Romanian Dog Shelter | Life With Dogs
    Mrs P, thordis and dowcat like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

What is happening with Romania's stray dogs is horrific. What a wonderful thing he's doing. I will never say anything negative about Mickey Rourke ever again. I don't care what he looks like or turns himself into.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Quote Originally Posted by quazar View Post
    what is happening with romania's stray dogs is horrific. What a wonderful thing he's doing. I will never say anything negative about mickey rourke ever again. I don't care what he looks like or turns himself into.
    this!!!!!
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

God bless Mickey!
    ConstanceSpry and thordis like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Mickey Rourke in 2016!

This is the kind of thing that I would do if I was super rich. I would build animal shelters all around the world and staff them appropriately so that no dog or cat is euthanized because it doesn't have a home. I would also fund massive spay/neuter programs for ferals to help reduce the population. I would also promote animal welfare legislation in places like Romania, China, South Korea, etc. where animals rights are the worst. So I just need to win the lottery and then I can get started.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

yay for Mickey, Jean Claude Van Damme is another one who's given large sums of $ and also opened a rescue operation where he's filmed -- Thailand, I believe. Good stuff.
    ConstanceSpry and thordis like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Thread Information