Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrs P

Thread: New Zealand parrot robs tourist of £600

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default New Zealand parrot robs tourist of £600

This is an old article from February of this year, but I got a kick out of it and decided to share this.

New Zealand parrot robs tourist of £600

A Scottish man has reported the theft of $1100 (£600) by a parrot at a New Zealand beauty spot.

The birds are known for their intelligence, and have been blamed for vandalising cars

11:08AM GMT 04 Feb 2013

Peter Leach, a former Royal Navy employee, was driving around the South Island of New Zealand in a campervan last week, when he stopped to take pictures of the scenery.

He pulled in at a rest area along State Highway 73 to take in the views at Arthur's Pass and, while there, took a picture of a kea (a species of parrot native to New Zealand) that had stopped nearby.

As he strolled around the area, the bird reportedly flew into the open windows of his campervan and lifted $1100 of the local currency from the dashboard inside.

According to the Scottish Daily Record, Mr Leach was unaware of the theft until two fellow tourists pointed it out.

“A Canadian couple walked by and said, ‘We’ve just seen that bird take something out of your van.’,” Mr Leach said.

He said all that remained was the equivalent of £20 in his front pocket. He reported the incident to police, but the chances of retrieving the currency remain slim.

“The officer was very serious for the first few questions,” Mr Leach said. “Then he said, ‘Do you mind if I just stop to laugh?’ I suppose I can’t blame him.”

Four years ago, another Scottish tourist in New Zealand had his passport stolen by a kea.

The birds are known for their intelligence, and have also been blamed for vandalising cars, including breaking off wing mirrors and stripping rubber from windscreens.

The zoologist Mark Cawardine describes them as “a devilish mountain parrot feared by hire car companies.”

Mr Leach, however, remains determined to continue on his travels, with friends apparently loaning him money for the rest of the trip.

New Zealand parrot robs tourist

Lol!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

This would never happen with a Quaker Parrot.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Or a cockatiel!

Kea have a rep of vandalizing cars and theft of food and other items like jewellery but, never heard of wallet stealing only the human variety here mostly do that.

Uhm. Why would you have $1100 of the local currency on the flippin dashboard in a car with an open window? Dude, when you're driving it'll just fly out the car. I call bullshit on this one.
    Butterfly likes this.

Kea's are assholes, that is for sure...they will eat your tires and rape your woman if you don't keep your eyes on them. Destructive little bastards is what they're are.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This would never happen with a Quaker Parrot.
    They just sit on their perch laughing at you...well, that is what my quaker does anyways.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Hit By Ban Bus!

You have a quaker? I have always thought that quakers are very attractive birds, but since we like to focus on rescue, I might not get the chance to 'meet' a quaker.

There are loads of Quakers in rescues here in the US, in the states they are legal in of course. where are you?

i live in South Florida and they are wild here.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Thread Information