Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By KrisNine
  • 2 Post By rockchick
  • 4 Post By msdeb

Thread: Kern County Animal Shelter Closing - Homes Urgently Needed

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Kern County Animal Shelter Closing - Homes Urgently Needed

A friend on Facebook has been spreading this about and while I wish I could do my part by raiding the cattery this is the best I can do for all the kittehs and goggies in need of urgent forever homes. Any GR peeps who are nearby please give a moment to think about whether you have the space for another furry hooligan in your heart and home.

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Kern County Animal Control shelter is having an adoption special starting today through the end of September to encourage people to adopt.
    Dogs will cost $15 to adopt. Cats will cost $5. Those fees include spay and neutering, rabies shots, microchipping and a one-year license.
    In a statement, Jen Woodard, Director of the KCAC described the discounts and the reason for them.
    "As you may have heard Kern County Animal Control's Bakersfield Shelter has received an eviction notice a little over a week ago from the City of Bakersfield which requires us to vacate the premises at 201 S Mt. Vernon Avenue by September 30th," Woodard said in the statement, "We are currently in the process of looking for a new suitable short-term/long-term option where we can safely care for and adopt and rescue our animals."
    KCAC is extending its shelter hours as follows:
    Monday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Tuesday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Wednesday 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
    Thursday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Sunday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Read about the dispute between the county and the city here: 23ABC News - Dispute over lease agreement may have a big impact on hundreds of animals - Bakersfield News, Bakersfield, California News & Bakersfield News Local Headlines - KERO TurnTo23

23ABC News - Kern County Animal Control to hold adoption deals as it looks for a new location - Bakersfield News, Bakersfield, California News & Bakersfield News Local Headlines - KERO TurnTo23
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Wish I was closer. What a bad thing this is. Over a lease.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Screw the City of Bakersfield. There are a lot of animal lovers out there and we vote. I hope the people don't reelect any elected official involved. How cruel.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

If we end up getting a kitty, we'll head up to Kern County. This is disgusting. I'm hoping that us Californians can do something to help extend the lease and make sure these fuckers in the city of Bakersfield get on national news for what they're doing. Perhaps some extremely negative publicity can force them to do something.
    Quazar, McJag and Bluebonnet like this.

Poor babies. I wish I could help EVERY abandoned animal.

I always say if I ever hit the big bucks I would start a sanctuary for animals in need.
    KrisNine and Quazar like this.

a lady that i know that runs a Chihuahua rescue, posted this too. Since she's only 45 minutes from there, she went up and got two older cats.
    McJag, KrisNine, Quazar and 1 others like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Bless her!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I hear they are flooded with people coming in to help, it's a relief, but such a sad situation.

^^Very sad, but that's good to hear. I wish I could help. We were so close to getting another kitty, but with the sick one we've got, that's been put on hold indefinitely.

How can the city do this?? Pieces of shit!!

I'm up here and the city of Ridgecrest is doing all we can to help,(Our shelter can't take anymore due to a raid on some ladies house, she was running an awful boarding facility and all the animals were in bad shape). There was a rumor that they were going to euthanise these animals if they weren't adopted by a certian time, but an employee squashed that real quick. I wish I could go over there and adopt, but we JUST adopted two puppies that were dumped in Mojave in July.

Thread Information