Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cat fleas, what do I do?

Default Cat fleas, what do I do?

Just discovered that Reena has cat fleas. She is indoor-outdoor but was told she wasn't likely to get any since she is not exactly very social. Turns out that she might be hanging out with strays and did get them. Will take her to a vet at the earliest opportunity. Anyone got any suggestions? When my old cat got fleas the vet told me not to worry too much and that they are not likely to infect humans. Doesn't stop me from itching everywhere ever since I found the damn things!
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Get another vet! You now have to consider the Babe. I think she needs a dip at least. Ick!
    Kittylady likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We use Frontline. You apply this little bit of oily medication to the back of their necks once a month. Kirby is an indoor cat, but since Toby the doggie goes outside, we use it as a preventative. People used to only use it during the summer months, but in a mild climate, a lot of people use it year round. There's also another product sold here called Advantage. Kind of the same idea.
    Kittylady and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Thanks, people. McJag, I'm definitely going to do something. Don't want the kid or us to get anything and the itching can't be fun for Reena either. It's a new development, I've been checking her very diligently for ticks and fleas. It can't be more than a week that she's had them. I think I'll take her to a vet (different one, the vet I had for my old cat has retired anyway) to check her out and get rid of the bugs. For now, tonight she's getting a bath and I'll wash her bedding too. I was thinking also of trying diatomaceous earth for the bugs.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Don't just treat her bedding; treat the whole house, even the rooms she doesn't go in. Fleas will happily hitch a ride on humans and jump off to start laying eggs elsewhere. Also get a flea comb and a herbal cat flea shampoo, as the citronella and other ingredients will make Reena smell/taste nasty to the little biters but not react with the chemical ingredients of Frontline. Also once you have treated her with the drops don't bath her again, just keep giving her a good going over with the flea comb and drown any stragglers in soapy water.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

And do not forget to put a flea collar in your vac. Kill 'em at every opportunity.
    faithanne likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Wash *her* in Dawn dish washing soap.

Fixed
    Last edited by MsDark; September 2nd, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Reena is a girl. Unless you mean I should wash the kid? I don't think this soap exists in Greece anyway.

*imagines yanna scrubbing babe down with Dawn*

I was talking about the kitty cat, not the baby. Surely they have something the equivalent of Dawn.

But now you guys have me wondering if it would work on the baby.
    McJag and yanna like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I used Johnsons Flea Repellent shampoo for cats before applying the chemical drops when she was dry. I get mine from a local pet shop but you can get it online from places like Amazon. I've been using it for years without any problems (apart from running out of first aid supplies), even when the cats didn't have fleas. They are a little fluffy afterwards but once they have themselves smoothed out to their satisfaction it leaves them lovely and shiny.

Be warned though - bathing a cat is a two person job unless you have the rare kind that likes water. Run enough warm but not hot water in a bath to come up to the cat's belly and have the shampoo pre-mixed in a cup or jug as per instructions. Take the unsuspecting cat to the bathroom and lock yourselves in there with her. One of you (your partner, I would suggest) needs to take a firm hold of the now wised up cat by the scruff of the neck and, avoiding the flailing claws as much as possible, put her into the water and hold the now infuriated beast in place (one hand on the scruff of the neck and the other hand on the rump works for us) while you wet her fur and then apply the shampoo mix and work it through her fur. Pay particular attention to her belly, under her chin and the top of her head, although take care not to get it in her eyes. If you haven't lost consciousness through blood loss and have shampooed her thoroughly you will need to rinse her with clean water until she is sud free. Then stand well back and give your shredded partner the ok to release their hold on the now thoroughly demonic cat and get clear themselves as they are likely to go off like a landmine. Wait until the cat has shook herself off and then give her a rub down with a warm towel before going over her with a flea comb. Open the bathroom door, step to one side as they bolt and prepare to be scowled and sulked at until they are dry and prepared to give you the time of day again (cat treats are invaluable for this). Don't let her outside until she has calmed down and forgiven you.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

i'll echo all the advice in this thread. you need to nip that shit in the bud. kitty's right, treat the whole house.
    you might have to take the baby somewhere else for at least a few hours though.
    boris briefly had fleas when he first came to me (he was in the countryside) and i gave him a bath - he didn't like it but he's docile enough to just sit there and take it while shooting daggers at me with his eyes, don't know what your girl is like. then applied frontline to the back of his neck. and then i washed all the sheets in the house, and i also bought flea spray that's supposed to kill the motherfuckers. spray everywhere - i sprayed mattresses and under the cushions on the sofa, baseboards, i took the mattress off the bed and sprayed the sides of the bedframe, curtains, under furniture, basically every nook and cranny.

be warned though, the spray kills fleas but not flea pupae and those motherfuckers take 2 weeks so you have to repeat two weeks later if you want to be sure you're rid of them. the flea collar in the vacuum cleaner is supposed to be a good trick too. just don't put a flea collar on reena, lots of cats are allergic and it will irritate the skin underneath.

i don't frontline boris anymore because he's an indoor cat now but if your girl is going to be outdoors, you should do it. i think it's every 4-6 weeks or whatever it says on the back of the thing.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thanks, people, that's really detailed and useful advice. I wouldn't describe Reena as docile in general but I have washed her before and it went ok:

Pregnancy had given me super smell and kitty smelt terrible to me. I wouldn't say she liked it but she didn't hurt me.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Awww! Look at her! I have to suppress my laughter at how stringy fat and fluffy cats go after a bath. To do it in front of them would be adding insult to injury and increase the chances of them killing me in my sleep.

A*O

Your vet is full of shit. Cat fleas DO bite humans. Sorry. They can also lurk in carpets, bedding and furnishings. Sorry. Use Fromtline/Advantage-type flea drops regularly. Otherwise follow the good advice of our resident crazy cat ladies.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information