Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neuter/Declaw

Default Neuter/Declaw

Okay, so my baby kitties went into the vet today and got neutered and front paw declawed all at once. It's been years since I've had a kitty go through it, and none of them have been done this young (they're about 4 months old). The Vet said they're doing well, but does anyone have any idea or recollection for a recovery time once they get home? Any bad experiences with your cat/kitten being "upset" with you?

(These are my boys...little cutie pies! )

You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

Default Re: Neuter/Declaw

Why would you have your cats declawed? That renders them completely defenseless against predators, plus it's the human equivalent of having your fingers removed. Ouch. The procedure is banned in Europe because it is cruel and unnecessary. Most reputable North American vets refuse to do it.

I assume you are planning to keep your cats forever, and to also keep them indoors forever? If you aren't, you are condemning them to a very dangerous existence.

I doubt the neutering will bother them much. The declawing certainly will.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Why would you have your cats declawed? That renders them completely defenseless against predators, plus it's the human equivalent of having your fingers removed. Ouch. The procedure is banned in Europe because it is cruel and unnecessary. Most reputable North American vets refuse to do it.

I assume you are planning to keep your cats forever, and to also keep them indoors forever? If you aren't, you are condemning them to a very dangerous existence.

I doubt the neutering will bother them much. The declawing certainly will.
    They are indeed forever indoor cats...I do realize that it is painful, but I've also had 2 other cats that had it done, and they are completely fine. I do know that there are very strong opinions on it, and I don't want anyone to think that I don't care about my pets. It was just a choice that I made.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

I am also against declawing cats, even indoor cats. How traumatic having both procedures done at the same time! I hope they are doing well.

KD
    Elite Member

Goose, I think you're gonna get some heat over this.

Cute Kitties, what did you name them?

Quote Originally Posted by KD
    Goose, I think you're gonna get some heat over this.

Cute Kitties, what did you name them?
    Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to get the heat too. My bad...The vet had no problem with it, so it seemed like an okay thing to do especially since they don't go outside. I've also never had a vet really steer me away from it in the last 10 years that I've had cats of my own. But...fire away...

Their names are Butch and Sundance...

Flame me, but I'm considering it. Mine never go outside. I'm tired of them looking at me while they're clawing my furniture, and then ZOOM taking off in a flash the moment I say anything or get up. They know what they're doing, and cats are so damn stubborn.

While I'm at it, I'm SICK SICK SICK of them getting on my tables. Every day I have cat hair on both my breakfast table & my dining room table. I keep meaning to close the window blinds by the tables to lessen the appeal, but forget.

When these cats are gone, I will never get another one. Between the clawing, the litterbox problems and the hair, it's not worth it. Dogs for me.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

KD
    Elite Member

^^^Cute names!

Zee

Cute names and kitties.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

KD
    Elite Member

Lob, probably a dumb question, but do you have scratching posts? They make these super cheap ones made from cardboard that are catnip scented, so they draw the cats to them.

Yep, got scratching posts, which they do use when they're not trying to piss me off. Little bastards. Both are rescues & ought to be more grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    Flame me, but I'm considering it. Mine never go outside. I'm tired of them looking at me while they're clawing my furniture, and then ZOOM taking off in a flash the moment I say anything or get up. They know what they're doing, and cats are so damn stubborn.
    Yep...probably other than the fact they never go outside, this was the sticking point. Not only the furniture, but the clawing of the carpeting. Could NOT get them to stop, as hard as I tried.

I'll shrink back into my corner now and wait for the flogging to begin...

KD
    Elite Member

Well, it's probably a good thing some of the more millitant PETA members are no longer on this board. I think it would have been scorching. YIKES!!

Like I would roll over for THEM.

I wish I could just let the cats out without them killing the birds, etc. I've had 2 outdoor cats before, & they killed all kinds of stuff & dragged it home. I would become homocidal if they killed a bluebird. Plus, I have bunnies outside & I don't want them harrassed, either.

One of the outdoor cats I mentioned ended up getting declawed, and we just started keeping him inside. I don't remember him having any problems recovering. He used to keep scratching, just as if he had claws.

One of my current cats is a real ass. He doesn't like anyone but my husband. He used to bully my shih-tzu terribly, slapping her in the face, stalking & ambushing her, etc. but stopped for some reason. I could easily see him killing anything he could get hold of.

Cats are never grateful...I hate that my leather couches have claw marks on them and that my rugs and clothes have scratch marks, but I still wouldn't declaw a cat. I think it's cruel. My sister declawed her cat; six months later she moved to the country, her cat got out and was killed by the neighbour's dog. Doubt that would have happened if he'd still had his claws.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information