Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By faithanne
  • 2 Post By Kat Scorp

Thread: Ascot winning race horse dies after crossing the finish line

Default Ascot winning race horse dies after crossing the finish line

Horse racing-Colt Thomas Chippendale dies after Hardwicke Stakes win

June 22 (Reuters) - Thomas Chippendale collapsed and died shortly after winning the Hardwicke Stakes at Royal Ascot on Saturday.

The four-year-old colt, trained by Lady Cecil, held off Dandino in a thrilling finish on the meet's final day, but collapsed after passing the finish line.

The 8-1 winner, ridden by Johnny Murtagh, was pronounced dead at the scene after receiving treatment.

Thomas Chippendale had won three races in 10 starts, including last year's King Edward VII Stakes at Royal Ascot.

"He ran his heart out and was pulled up at the line," Murtagh told the BBC.

"He lost his balance and I don't know what happened to him.

"It's heart-breaking for everyone involved - it should have been a great win.

"It's just devastating the way it's finished."

It was the second win for Lady Cecil, whose husband Henry Cecil died his month, at the Ascot meeting.

"It was devastating, but at least it was quick and he wouldn't have felt anything," she said.

"I didn't know what had happened until I came back. I thought everything was all right but it seemed all quiet and I had no idea why.

"The horse had been working so well."

As much as I love the thrill of watching horse racing, it's a cruel sport and it's distressing that so many animals die or are put down and nothing is done about it. They're either racing them too hard or pumping them full of bad shit, that's of course if their tiny legs can sustain their weight long enough.
    MmeVertigina and clairescavys like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Horses are loyal, faithful creatures. They will gallop until their legs and hearts give out, for their owners. I'm ashamed and disgusted by both the horse and dog racing industry practises, I bet money on neither (fuck Melbourne Cup Day), and I believe a faery gets its wings each time a steeplechase jockey breaks his goddamn neck.

_Sorry not fucking sorry._
    Last edited by Kat Scorp; June 23rd, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
    misrule and Brookie like this.

^absolutely. I flat out refuse to have anything to do with the Melbourne Cup. Cruelty to animals for the sake of greed. Send the trainers and owners out and let them run until their hearts and their legs give out.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

I second all of what you've already said - I went to a local racetrack with my folks when I was a kid and witnessed a horse throw its rider and crash head first into a steel barrier, effectively committing suicide in front of the entire crowd. It made me sick.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

Royal Ascot is flat racing, not steeplechase but horses still die. To me it's the most boring "sport" in the world but I'm not a gambler so it seems utterly pointless anyway.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Default Two Horses That Ran In Today's Melbourne Cup Are Dead

Two Horses That Ran In Today's Melbourne Cup Are Dead, And Australia's Racing World Is Reeling

Nov 4, 2014, 8:55 PM

Admire Rakti winning the Caulfield Cup. Photo Vince Caligiuri/Getty Images

One of Australia’s biggest sporting and cultural events, the Melbourne Cup, has been marred by the deaths of two horses that raced in the world-famous event today.

Admire Rakti, the Japanese-owned horse that was the pre-race favourite to win, pulled up in the final turn and died in the stalls soon after the race.

Hours later another horse, Araldo, was euthanised after breaking its leg in a freak accident just after the race, in which the horse was startled by a racegoer waving a flag and the animal got itself caught in a fence, breaking its leg.

The animal was taken to a vetinary hospital for treatment but was later put down. Araldo’s trainer Michael Moroney described the incident as a “tragic accident”.

“It’s shattering for my owners, my staff and myself. We have just lost a great young stayer who was lightly raced and had just run seventh in the Cup. My staff are shattered. Everyone here is sticking together. We don’t blame anyone,” he said.

Terry Bailey, Racing Victoria chief steward, said Admire Rakti died after collapsing on returning to the stalls.
    “Obviously there will have to be an autopsy done and the vets are with it now,” Bailey said.
    “The autopsy will tell the story. It will be done at Werribee. That’s the normal procedure for any horse. We’ll see what that brings up and whether that’s natural causes.”

Admire Rakti was the $6 favourite to win when the race got underway.
    There have now been three horse deaths in two years at the world-famous event, which carried prize money of
    $6 million this year and is known as “the race that stops the nation”.

Last year, cup runner Verema was put down after breaking a leg during the race.

Two Horses That Ran In Today's Melbourne Cup Are Dead, And Australia's Racing World Is Reeling | Business Insider

Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

Very sad but it happens all the time. We just get to hear about this case because it's such a high profile race. No news on the cause yet but probably a heart attack or aneurism. The horse was very frisky and agitated before the race which could have been a clue he wasn't right.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

They're saying it's a heart attack. I was keeping an eye on it during the race (I had it in my trifecta) and it was travelling in second throughout until the last turn when it looked like it was going backwards, the other horses just swarmed past it so fast. I love horse racing but I hate when this shit happens, something is not right.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

They're so pretty with their big, dark bambi eyes. I don't give a rat's ass about horse racing if it threatens the well being of a horse.

horse racing is bullshit, they're doped up and run within an inch of their lives and beyond. Cruel and senseless.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Thread Information