Thread: Does Anyone Here Have Pet Birds?

Default Does Anyone Here Have Pet Birds?

I was wondering if anyone here has any bird companions -- DH and I are owned by six birds!

Sadly, we lost our little male disabled rescue cedar waxwing on Sunday morning. He had a lot of physical problems and passed away...he was eleven months old.

We have three budgies, including a talking green male, Newman Cage, a powder-blue female called Annie Wilkes-Cage, and an icy blue, almost white female named Spawn.

We have a pesky male normal green peachface lovebird called Mott The Hoople.

We have a female disabled cedar waxwing named Miss Kikkit, which is where I got my name for this forum from.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Have Pet Birds?

I have a cockatiel and a sun conure parrot. They are the most fun pets.
    My sun is named Gitte and the cocktiel is Elvis.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have 5 Australian paraquites. Had 6, but one escaped (he was the smallest, but I still haven't found out how he got out of the cage).

We had a gorgeous parrotlet named Dex. He was such an awesome bird. He ...very sadly..... flew out our back door last October. We spent three hours chasing him from tree to tree, researching on the internet and trying all kinds of ways to get him back, but he was gone. Still makes me sick to think about. If only husband would have had Dex's wings clipped when I told him to...
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I am so sorry that you lost Dex, Algernon.

It's hard to lose a pet.

I have a cockatiel..he's a beautiful VERY vocal little guy about 3 months..lost one..well he flew away because some idiot let him out a few months ago..also a cockatiel..I really would like to get another cockatiel a friend for him..maybe one of those white and grey cockatiels..what are those called fallows? birds make such great pets..I love cockatiels..their usually very sweet.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

I'm frustrated. I read the newspaper's lost & found every day (yes, strange) & over a month ago, someone lost a cockatiel. This week, someone found one. I keep hoping the people who lost one will read the darned paper.

The only bird I had was a parakeet who flew into my office a few years ago. He was panicking. I dashed to the store & bought a cage & food, got back & hardly had the cage out of the box before that bird flew into it. He seemed very relieved. I kept him for a while, but eventually gave him to a family that was really into birds. I liked him & all, but he could fling seed pods for yards.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Oh do they..amazing how far seeds can fly.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

I had 2 cockatiels; i didn't buy them, my friend had them and she couldn't look after them anymore so she gave them to me for nothing.
    The girl was Charlie, the boy was sparky. Charlie was aggressive; couldn't touch her. She'd go mental! Sparky was always scared, but liked attention. Charlie was a bitch; if you went to pat sparky, she'd attack! She didn't want petting, but she lashed out if sparky was getting any attention. She really protective of him or something.

They both didn't have their wings clipped either.

Anyway, funny story..
    I was feeding them one day and stupidly left the cage door open while i was getting their water. When i came back, sparky had flown away, and Charlie was standing outside the cage. Of course, i couldn't grab her! She scratched the shit out of me, then flew away as well. So i wonder where they both ended up!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I got Elvis my cockatiel because he was a 'fly away' They know down at the local animal shelter that I'm a birder, have been for years, so I'm down on their list since they don't have facilities for birds there. Got a call that a exotic bird was trapped on someone's porch and most hostile. So out I went with a spare cage, trapped him and took him home. No one came forward, the bird wasn't banded so there was no way to trace who his owner was, I even called most of the neighbors within about a mile radius of this remote farm and no one had a clue where he'd come from. When I first got him Elvis was so hostile he'd start hissing at me the second I stepped into the room. I still cannot scratch his head but he's tame in every other way. He's a character, he can open any cage lock and has free run of the house, preferring to stay either on top of the lamp over the piano or on large plant I have in front of the living room windows. He tells me when people have pulled up in front of the house or are walking across the yard, he's better than any watch dog. He sings very beautifully too. He and Gitta are very funny about you acknowledging them too, if I get up and come downstairs without specifically saying, "Morning Elvis, morning Gitta" and stopping for a scratch and talk to them awhile they let me know it loudly protesting till I go greet them. Same when I come home from somewhere. Both are convinced they are human not bird. Silly birds.

I have two budgies, one (tinkerbell) is about a 2 weeks old and the other one (Peter) is about 3 and a 1/2 month old

Two weeks old?! Your budgies are just babies....baby birds are so sweet.

DH and I babysat a friend's budgie for three days recently. He's a lutino and about eight months old. He talks up a storm. I tried to teach him to say "Hey, Liverlips!" but he wasn't having any of it.

I taught him to make a "PFFFFT" horse noise and to say, "I love you", though. He's a quick learner.

Thread Information