Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By rockchick

Thread: Mixed-breed Naki’o lost his paws to frostbite but can finally walk again after...

Default Mixed-breed Naki’o lost his paws to frostbite but can finally walk again after...

The bionic dog: Mixed-breed Naki’o lost his paws to frostbite but can finally walk again after being fitted with four prosthetic limbs

• Naki'o has a new lease of life after becoming the first dog to be fitted with a complete set of bionic paws

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 04:12 GMT, 27 April 2013 | UPDATED: 11:32 GMT, 27 April 2013

A mixed-breed puppy had a tough start to live after losing all four of his paws and the tip of his tail to frostbite.

Naki’o was left abandoned at a foreclosed Nebraska home when he was a young and was found alone, frozen into a puddle of icy water in the cellar.

When he was eventually discovered, he was taken to an animal rescue center and under their care his paws healed to rounded stumps.
    Scroll down for video

Naki'o was left abandoned at a foreclosed Nebraska home when he was a young and was found alone, frozen into a puddle of icy water in the cellar

Naki'o is the first dog to be fitted with a complete set of bionic paws that work naturally to allow him to run, jump and even swim

It was a tough existence for Naki’o, he couldn’t walk and play with other dogs due to the pain it caused him and instead had to crawl along on his belly.

Fortunately for Naki'o he meet veterinarian assistant Christie Pace of Colorado Springs, Colo. who was looking for an animal she could help.

More...

‘I have a soft spot for rescue animals in general. I was looking for something different, unique. I wanted to make more of a difference than a regular dog. I knew I could help him out,’ she told ABC.

She adopted Naki’o when he was 8-weeks-old and then set about organizing a fundraiser to pay for him to have his two back legs fitted with prosthetics.

Paw-sthestic: the bionic dog with FOUR prosthetic paws

Christie adopted Naki¿o when he was 8-weeks-old and set about organizing a fundraiser to pay for him to have his prosthetics

He took to these so enthusiastically, that the company who fitted them decided to complete the process free of charge.

‘When we saw how good he was doing with his back leg prosthetics and how he was struggling to use his front legs it was very simple to say, “we gotta keep with him.” He could do much better with all four prosthetics on,’ said Martin Kaufmann, owner of Orthopets, a Denver company that specializes in pet prosthetics.

Naki'o is the first dog to be fitted with a complete set of bionic paws that work naturally to allow him to run, jump and even swim.

At first walking on all four prosthetics was challenging, but Naki’o adapted quickly, learning how to use the devices as though they were his natural legs.

New lease of life: Naki’o’s devices are made with mountain bike tires

Naki'o was taken to an animal rescue center and under their care his paws healed to rounded stumps

After just a few days he was running and bounding along. The prosthetics are built to mimic the muscle and bone of dog limbs, allowing them to do everything a normal dog would do.

Christie is amazed at her pet’s motivation and joy for life. 'Naki’o can now not only chase after a ball with other dogs, but he can beat them to the catch!'

In recent years, veterinarian medicine has advanced by leaps – with not just braces and prosthetics, but also implants - metal rods fused to the animals' own bone and then attached to an artificial paw.

One prosthetic can however cost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000.

Read more: The bionic dog: Mixed-breed Naki'o lost his paws to frostbite but can finally walk again after being fitted with four prosthetic limbs | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Awwwww! Love him

God bless this beautiful the dog, and the beautiful people who devoted themselves to his care and recovery.

May the scum that abandoned him rot in hell.
    McJag, Icepik and laynes like this.

What an amazing dog! I love these kind of happy endings.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

He is a beautiful boy!! I'm so glad he's found people to love him

This kind of thing happens so often, people leaving their pet to die in foreclosed homes: Abandoned pets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What kind of sick fuck can do that to an animal?
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Thread Information