Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 22-Pound Cat Takes Family Hostage; Family Calls 911 For Help

Animal Planet’s Jackson Galaxy speaks out on behalf of attack cat

By Monique Balas | Special to The Oregonian The Oregonian
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on March 11, 2014 at 4:30 PM, updated March 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Animal Planet’s Jackson Galaxy speaks out on behalf of attack cat |

Jackson GalaxyCourtesy of The Brooks Group
    Some commenters regarding Lux, the Himalayan “attack cat,” whose story has gone viral, suggest the cat be featured on the Animal Planet show “My Cat from Hell.”
    Well, Jackson Galaxy, who hosts the popular show, hasn’t yet met the cat in question - although he may soon - but he’s certainly read about him.
    Lux can’t tell his story, so Galaxy hopes to speak on the cat's behalf.
    He acknowledges that he hasn’t visited the Palmer home but he deals with aggressive cats on a near-daily basis.
    “If you watch my show, you know that within five minutes, the human component is really identified,” Galaxy said during a phone interview.
    “We realize this behavior doesn’t occur in a vacuum. That’s really the important thing, is that there’s always a context.”
    Lux may have scratched a 7-month-old boy, but the attack began after the boy pulled his tail. When he reacted by scratching the child, owner Lee Palmer kicked the cat. It was at that point that Lux “went over the edge.”
    Palmer has said in news stories that the cat “has a history of violence” but that behavior could be due to a physical problem. The first thing the family should do, Galaxy says, is take the cat to a veterinarian.
    “It could be anything from an abscessed tooth to a brain tumor and anything in between,” he says, noting that cats in pain may tend to act out.
    He also suggests asking if there have been any changes in the home environment that might have led up to the attack.
    Galaxy pointed out that children age 6 or younger should never be left unsupervised with an animal. Cats are prey animals that defend their territory when threatened and may feel the need to put their claws out when provoked.
    If you’re in a room with an aggressive cat, Galaxy suggests redirecting its attention by putting a “sight blocker,” such as a flattened piece of cardboard or towel, in front of its eyes.
    Prevent it from seeing the object at hand – such as your hand – and guide it into a dark room where it can take a “time-out.”
    The worst thing to do, he says, is to put your hands on it, which will only provoke the cat more.
    Galaxy says he’s concerned that Lux’s story will spur fearful feline owners to relinquish their own cat to a shelter without taking time to consider what's behind the behavior.
    “I want to know what it is that caused this to happen,” he says of the incident involving Lux. “At the end of the day, I don’t want this cat to die because of the viral nature of this story.”
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I guess I am officially a Crazy Cat Lady because we kept our black ball of pulsating evil (Tessa) even after she went ballistic and tried to tear my leg off. I still have an indent just below my knee where she took a chunk out with her teeth. She's a lot calmer now she's an old girl but my bestie still refers to her as his little assassin.
    Brookie and Bluebonnet like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information