Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Beeyotch
  • 2 Post By CornFlakegrl

Thread: Dog Almost Dies After Eating Raisins

  1. #1
    Elite Member Witchywoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    vat of chocolate

    Default Dog Almost Dies After Eating Raisins

    Charlie is a five-year-old Lab that eats just about everything he can. His appetite almost cost him his life when he jumped onto his owner’s kitchen counter and ate a packet of raisins. It nearly killed him, but veterinarians were able to save his life.Charlie is known to eat sticks, his family’s socks and just about anything he can find. When he ate a packet of raisins from his family’s kitchen counter, his owner Louise Middleton rushed him to the vet. Raisins, along with grapes and currants can cause severe kidney failure in dogs. When she arrived at the vet with Charlie she was told to prepare for the worst.
    The vet quickly started Charlie on dialysis. “Initially, Charlie’s kidneys were not producing any urine at all so he was treated with peritoneal dialysis, allowing for clearance of toxic products normally cleared by the kidneys,” said a spokeswoman for The Royal Dick Vet School. “After a few days of treatment, his kidneys began producing urine again. We are hopeful that his kidney function will continue to improve over time.”
    The Middleton’s are thankful that Charlie was able to pull through, though his treatment ran up a large vet bill. “The bill for dialysis, surgery, scans, drugs and intensive care came to £8,000,” said Louise Middleton. Charlie will remain under observation for another week before he will be able to go home.
    Even the Dr. Tracy Hill who treated Charlie admits he is lucky to be alive. “Without the dialysis he would have died,” she said. Charlie’s story is an important reminder of the danger that raisins, grapes and currants can be to our dogs. A spokeswoman for the Royal Dick Vet school reminded dog owners to check with their vets about foods that can be dangerous to your dogs, “There are many things that people can eat that are bad for dogs and cats.” Dog Almost Dies After Eating Raisins | Life With Dogs

  2. #2
    Elite Member choozen1ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005


    i had heard about raisins being poisonous to dogs last year and our house is now almost completely raisins free. I can always remember not to give my dog chocolate but I may forget with raisins and I just won't be able to handle it if something happens to by dog .I am happy to see the dog survived .

  3. #3
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006


    Also almonds and macadamia nuts, garlic, onions and avocados. /doggie PSA

    Poor Charlie!
    Froogy likes this.

  4. #4
    Gold Member laynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    What's round on the ends and high in the middle?


    That is scary! I remember my dogs broke into an Easter Basket one time and ate a ton of chocolate. I kept waiting for something bad to happen but after a day of diarrhea, the were fine. I guess the bigger the dog, the more it takes. Although that Lab is a big boy.. raisins must be really toxic. Yikes!

  5. #5
    Hit By Ban Bus! rockchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    midwest USA


    I was unaware of raisin danger. I'm glad I clicked here. My lab ate an entire box of chocolate cupcakes (didn't know he was such a good climber) but he was fine.

  6. #6
    Elite Member OrangeSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Studying with Master Grumpy Cat


    Glad the poor baby is okay. It's weird how some things affect some animals but not others. I've got a friend with a dog (mainly Jack Russell mixed with something else) that is insane about chocolate. He chewed the lid off of a tupperware bowl one day while they were gone to get to some chocolate candy and ate half the small bowl full. She said he never had diarrhea or anything. He got into some brownies another time and chocolate cupcakes another time. Never an ill effects. Since he's been fine, the family will feed him a small piece of chocolate once in a while. That little brat has been around forever and I swear he is indestructible. I wonder why it's never hurt him and why it'll kill other dogs even larger than him.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

    "Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

  7. #7
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007


    I'm glad he is OK,that was scary. Fabulous doggy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  8. #8
    Elite Member CornFlakegrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hanging with the raisin girls


    A spokeswoman for the Royal Dick Vet school
    Is this a school for vet's who want to treat Royal Dick pets or people who want Royal Dick's as vets?

    I didn't know that about raisins either. My beast has stolen the occasional piece of chocolate and been fine. Pig ears (which I gave her) are another thing altogether. She had 3 over a 2 day period and ended up in the hospital with severe pancreatitis. We almost lost her.
    laynes and ManxMouse like this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 73
    Last Post: December 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
  4. WARNING! Raisins/Grapes Can Kill Your Dog
    By A*O in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 30th, 2007, 12:47 AM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 11th, 2006, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts