Thread: I think my cat is senile.....

Default I think my cat is senile.....

Ok, my black cat, Spooky is 16. She was a stray and was a serious terror in the beginning of our relationship. She is now a cool, laid back cat, though still a bit 'spooked' (hence her name) by anyone she doesn't know.
    My question: She has taken to pacing around the house at night. Once my daughter goes to bed (around 8) Spooky comes out and loves life, eats, plays, enjoys. THEN, she starts to pace. And she goes in circles around our house for HOURS. I mean HOURS. And I can attempt to stop her, but she goes right back to it.
    Anyone else's cat ever done this??? Just a normal thing?? She's 16, so I'm not super concerned about it, its just more annoying than anything..her little claws click on the floor and its maddening. But I love her....she's my first baby.
    Just wanted to know if anyone had dealt with this.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: I think my cat is senile.....

I really don't know much about cats so I can't help you here but is your cat a indoor one or do you let her out at night etc? Does she have stress?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^^She's an indoor cat, though she will venture out occasionally, but because she's extrememly skiddish she just hangs on the porch and only on super nice days. She has the stress of having a 2 yr old around, though my daughter is nice to her, doesn't try to touch her or anything.
    I think she's just nuts and getting old. Its no big deal, but while I was online last night she was doing it so I thought I'd ask...

Hmm, I've never heard of that. It does sound quite amusing though. You say it's after your daughter goes to bed? Does she spend a lot of time with her in the day? Perhaps she's missing her and doesn't know what to do with herself?

Cats really are odd creatures, our last cat used to sit two foot infront of the wall and just stare at it as if it was the most fascinating thing ever created. He's sit there for hours.

As long as she is healthy and happy then I don't see too much of a problem.

My Chesney goes mad at night just before we go to bed. As soon as we switch the TV off he knows its time for bed so he grabs a toy and starts wizzing around, almost knocking tables over and running into the sopha.

Its really amusing to watch as his ears are slicked back, his tongues hanging out and he's panting like crazy! He does it for a few minutes and then he's ready for bed. I always assumed he was just getting his last bit of excitement and energy out before he went to sleep!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

^Funny! Yea, she has always kind of 'come alive' at night, even before the baby. I think she misses the attention she used to get, since it was all about her and now it's not. Instead of running around like a maniac, she paces.

Cats are truly funny......I'll never ever be without one.

I think that as long as it's eating you have nothing to worry about. My critter is 16 too. No pacing but she's pretty energetic at night and also thinks that I must wake up around 05:00 am to feed her

Thread Information