Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your dog know how to swim?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Does your dog know how to swim?

We took Elmo to a park today where there is some water area with a waterfall. Saw a dog playing in it so I decided to take Elmo there to let him try swimming. I put him in the water and I guess the instinct kicked in and he started doing the dog paddle but he was more or less freaked out and got right out of the water.
    It was fun for me () to watch his attempt at swimming but I don't think he likes it or is going to get better at it...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Zee

Default Re: Does your dog know how to swim?

My dog swims quite well. He is a herding dog breed and will jump into water whenever possible.

When he was a puppy, he would dig into fresh water springs to make small doggie sized ponds. We now use him to herd geese off of our ponds. He will listen to my commands until he finally decides on blasting through the water towards the geese.

Sorry to hear Elmo didn't like the water. Maybe he wants to be a lapdog?
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

He's 9 yrs old now and I never let him swim properly in the past ever (though I filled up the bath tub for him to play in it before) so maybe an old dog won't learn a new trick? And he's a pug, I don't think they are very good swimmers

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Zee

My niece's pug loves to swim and will jump into the pool on his own. He only has three legs and can't get out on his own. Her dog is a little unusual and about the only pug I have met.

See what happens the next time you go to the park. Maybe he'll want to go into the water.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

My pup is terrified of water! He will pull toward land when we've taken him near the beach like he's afraid of the waves. And he hates baths, of course!

Once my family and I were enjoying a soak in the jacuzzi and Elmo almost jumped in. So maybe if I can swim with him somewhere then he might like it, he loves his mommy so he'll follow me around

I thought dogs just knew naturally how to swim! My Chesney has never tried, he hates water
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Jake loves the water, loves it with a capital L. Its quite annoying actually, he throws himself in canals. Boyf took him for a walk on the field and he had to throw himself into a big swamp like mud hole. Apparently it runs in his breeding, a lot of my breeders dogs were the same.

Two weeks ago when the weather was particularly hot he took it upon himself to hop in the bath and wait till I put the cold water tap on, where he spent 15 minutes splasing and kicking about.

That is so cute! German Shepherds must all be the same with water, bf's dog Raj tries to jump in the canal when we walk him. He even risks running through the field at the back of the house that has a bull in it!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

The pug that my Aunt & Uncle have loves to swim!! They have a littlel life vest for her and she just goes to town. Its hilarious!

Oh that's so cute. I should get Elmo a life vest!

My ex had bassett hounds, one drowned as a puppy in his pool (terribly sad story). He had always had Labs which of course love water, so it never occured to him that any dog wouldn't/couldn't swim (didn't occur to me either, although I would not have left a puppy alone outside with an inground pool).

It was devastating for my kids.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara
    That is so cute! German Shepherds must all be the same with water, bf's dog Raj tries to jump in the canal when we walk him. He even risks running through the field at the back of the house that has a bull in it!!
    My German shepherd Diesel thinks all the fountains near all the monuments in DC are MADE for her personal enjoyment. Sometimes the cops are dicks (surprise, surprise) and make her get out but the dog loving ones let her have a good time. The tourists love to take her picture. We were thinking about taking her on a specialty doggy cruise they have in Alexandria but she loves the water so much I am afraid she would jump overboard!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww I want Elmo to learn to swim!

I have a collie and she won't even go outside if there is a sprinkling of rain. The only water she likes is the water in her dish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information