Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kitty advice needed again!

Default Kitty advice needed again!

As always, thanks in advance.

I am beside my self with frustration and the Vet was not helpful. My kitty is just over a year old now and besides one little accident in the beginning, she has never gone outside her box.

As a side note, some people say I have OCD because I am a clean freak and things are never out of place and I think my kitty is OCD as well because she is as anal as I am. She howls after going #2 until I scoop it out and flush it and she gets mad if my typically very strict schedule is disrupted. We are two peas in a pod...

That being said, I was sick a few weeks ago, so when I came home I left my clothes on the bathroom floor instead of putting them in the hamper, and to my dismay, she had peed all over them. Not just a little, they were soaked. I thought, lesson learned, she does not appreciated a messy house. A few short days after that, after coming home from work, she was in her room (yes she has her own room) and she was crouched in the middle of the floor, so I scooped her up and put her in her box where she finished peeing.

I took to google. I changed her food 2 months ago when she hit 12 months but she seems to like it, so I doubt that is is. Nothing else has changed, remember I am a creature of habit, so the only other thing I could gather was it was a UTI, despite the fact that she doesn't seem to strain while going and there is no blood. I took her to the Vet, and they said nothing was wrong.

So here I am, a few weeks later and a few more accidents later... Does anyone have any ideas or advice as to what could be going on?

My boy cat is terrified of the vacuum cleaner or any loud noise in general and sometimes pees himself when he's frightened. Could something be scaring her?
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Not that I can think of... I am really baffled at this point.

Are there any other changes? New friends coming over that she doesn't like? New neighbors?

If the vet says there's nothing physically wrong then it sounds like it's a behavioral problem. Is she getting less attention recently? Has anything happened that may have put her off using her litter box? Has she been spayed?

Wow this is a tough one. I've had cats to that when they were mad about somthing. Maybe try changing her food back?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thanks guys, there have been no other changes at all. My life is pretty much like clock work.

She was spayed almost a year ago and I couldn't imagine what would put her off about her litter box, nothing has changed at all. I use Yesterday's News, so there is no clumping to be scooped, just the poo and she demands I do it straight away, other than that, I change it each Sunday which she has been ok with so far.

She is not an affectionate kitty at all, but I've been around and as willing with my attention as always. I would change her food back, but it was Iams for kittens, so I would worry that the kitten formula would leave her with out nutrients she needs as she grows.

I'm going to try a different Vet if it persists. I was just hoping someone here had experienced this, because I am at a loss.

This link has some info, but it's not much that's not been mentioned already.
    The Cat Peed WHERE? - How to Stop Cats From Urinating outside the Litterbox

I would ask your vet about this again, or like you said try another vet just to get another opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    This link has some info, but it's not much that's not been mentioned already.
    The Cat Peed WHERE? - How to Stop Cats From Urinating outside the Litterbox

I would ask your vet about this again, or like you said try another vet just to get another opinion.
    Thank you Sarzy, that was one of the many pages I've viewed in my search for answers in the last few weeks.

Trust me, I will not surrender my Naughty Ramsay because of this, even though it is making me crazy. I will redesign my house before it comes to that....funny thing is, I didn't want her when I found her. Now, I will go to all measures to make sure she is ok, comfortable and beyond. Who would have thought???
    faithanne and Sarzy like this.

You know, I would seek another vets opinion. I would also check her eyesight...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We had a similar situation with our kitty Earl a few years ago.

Male cat, born in our bedroom closet, always lived with us. At about the age of 1 1/2 years he suddenly began peeing just anywhere. I thought he had hit maturity and was going crazy marking his territory. Took him to the vet, examined, neutered.

Problem not solved.

After a few more months of the peeing everywhere problem, took him to the vet again, different vet. Doc examined him and informed us he had a congenital kidney problem which would eventually kill him and was untreatable. He gave Earl a six month prognosis.

Earl died 6 months later. During that time the peeing problem never stopped.

I hope your cat has a different issue. But kidney problems could be the culprit.
    Last edited by azoria; December 30th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You know, I would seek another vets opinion. I would also check her eyesight...
    Thanks McJag, is there a reason you think it could be her vision? I would think she would know where her box is either by memory or smell, because it isn't like she is just missing, she is straight up peeing elsewhere. She has continued to use her box for poo though.

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    We had a similar situation with our kitty Earl a few years ago.

Male cat, born in our bedroom closet, always lived with us. At about the age of 1 1/2 years he suddenly began peeing just anywhere. I thought he had hit maturity and was going crazy marking his territory. Took him to the vet, examined, neutered.

Problem not solved.

After a few more months of the peeing everywhere problem, took him to the vet again, different vet. Doc examined him and informed us he had a congenital kidney problem which would eventually kill him and was untreatable. He gave Earl a six month prognosis.

Earl died 6 months later. During that time the peeing problem never stopped.

I hope your cat has a different issue. But kidney problems could be the culprit.
    I am very sorry for your loss azoria.

Update: we visited a new vet this morning, and still no medical explanation so far. They drew blood this time so there may be news later this week or beginning of next week. He suggested I get a new box, relocate it and give her treats (which she already demands when she goes in there) So I stopped at PetCo and got new supplies and I purchased a fountain type watering dish because in all of my research, that was also suggested to encourage water intake, though I forgot to discuss with the Vet. So we shall see. Fingers crossed this works. Next step is change the type of litter, which I really do not want to do because I love Yesterday's News. I do not miss the gravel being spread through out the house with my previous cat.

Only other thing I can think of is that you might have the vet check for crystals (tiny stones) in the urine. That can irritate their bladder even when they don't have a bladder infection. Treatment for it is a change of food, and increased water intake to help flush their bladder. The fountain will probably help with that. If it is behavioral, they can put her on a small dose of kitty valium.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    they can put her on a small dose of kitty valium.
    i didn't even know there was such a thing!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My cat is 14 and he has done crazy shit like this for years. He always pees on baskets of dirty clothes in the laundry room. If I'm doing laundry and drop a basket of towels in there to wash, he's on it. Not sure why. One vet said it's a territory thing, even though he's neutered. Anyway, point is, he's healthy as can be (for a 14 year old) and there has never been a medical explanation for what he's doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information