Thread: The pet cost of Sandy - NY dog on "death row" after death of owner

Default The pet cost of Sandy - NY dog on "death row" after death of owner

New York dog on death row following death of owner in Hurricane Sandy
    November 12th, 2012 by Penny Eims
    Next article links
    DEATH ROW DOG

Credit: Facebook.com
    Lucas
    Lucas, a collie/shepherd mix, is on death row at the Staten Island, N.Y. animal care and control facility following the death of his guardian.

Years ago, Lucas was adopted from the same facility when he was just a puppy. His initial owners had turned him over to the shelter when they had a baby and no longer had "room" for their 4-legged friend.

In a relatively short span of time, Lucas has come full circle. This time, he is no longer an enticing puppy - he is an adult who is out of time.

Lucas' most recent entrance to this facility follows a devastating tragedy. When super storm Hurricane Sandy descended on New York, Lucas' owner died.

Lucas remained by his owner's side until they were both discovered and Lucas was subsequently transported to the shelter facility.

Suffice to say, Lucas is stressed and confused without his guardian. Shared about this lovely boy:

Lucas is VERY stressed in the shelter and it is showing, he excessively licks his nose so its all dried up and he's scratching himself so much he has some hair loss. Lucas is not a fan of the cage but we had a trainer come and evaluate him today and we think it's definitely something that with time he will adjust to. When Lucas is out of the cage and outside his personality shines through. We think that a home with older children is best because he appears to have been in a home as a single dog with no other animals and is used to quiet.

Please take a moment to network on Lucas' behalf. A local rescue is willing to take Lucas on if a local foster home can be found. Click here to learn more.

Information:

Lucas' story here.

Death Row Dog link here.

Staten Island Center

LUCAS - ID#A0756781 (note, the shelter has put up Lucas' original profile from when he was just 8 months of age)

I am a neutered male, brown Collie - Smooth mix.

The shelter staff think I am about 5 years old.

I weigh 53 pounds.

I was found in NY 11229.

I have been at the shelter since Nov 07, 2012

Follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!

New York dog on death row following death of owner in Hurricane Sandy - National Dogs | Examiner.com
    Free Charmed.

That poor baby!

I'll take him. Gladly.
    Quazar and Novice like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I can't imagine how many animals were killed in the hurricane or are now homeless with no owners. It hurts my head to think about it.

Come on - somebody go get this guy!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Further details

For more information on a particular dog, email adoption@nycacc.org but ONLY if serious about adopting, and ONLY if you are able to GO TO the shelter in-person. Please do not email for status updates... the only thing you will accomplish is spamming their in boxes and causing REAL adopter emails to go un-noticed. Contact the NYC ACC at (212) 788-4000 for further automated instructions.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Someone will snap him up. What a love he is!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^I really hope so.

I always try to give what I can to both the Red Cross and the Humane Society in disaster situations. The Humane Society gets overloaded with lost pets and they start running out of food for them.
    Quazar likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

If I took another dog, my b/f and son would roast me over an open spit. (3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 ferrets) I really hope someone gets this baby.

Look at these eyes. Poor baby! I hope this exposure will bring someone willing and serious about adopting him.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Someone will snap him up. What a love he is!
    When I was trying to find some sort of contact info for the shelter I came across a local page & it must've had 30 pitbulls & 4/5 other "normal" dogs like this or smallish "handbag" dogs.
    Free Charmed.

Rescuers save dog who steadfastly refused to leave his deceased owner after Hurricane Sandy DogHeirs | Where Dogs Are Family Keywords: Staten Island, New York, Louie's Legacy Animal Rescue

Lucas, who sadly lost his owner to Hurricane Sandy, was dropped at a high-kill shelter. After learning his story a group of rescuers set out to save him. Photo: Facebook
    It's a happy ending to a sad story for a dog who lost his owner during Hurricane Sandy. After his owner was killed by the storm, the 5-year-old Collie/Shepherd mix found himself in the same high-kill shelter where his beloved owner had rescued him years earlier.

According to Louie's Legacy Animal Rescue, who campaigned to save Lucas from the kill shelter, Lucas "wouldn't let the family members of his owner take him out of the yard they put him in because he knew his owner had died and he didn't want to leave him."

Grieving, Lucas was taken to Staten Island NYC ACC facility. The surrounding were familiar to him. According to the Examiner, as a puppy his first owners had turned him over to the shelter when they had a baby.
    This time, with the stress of surviving the storm and losing his family, Lucas was not coping well. Learning of Lucas' plight, Louie's Legacy Animal Rescue knew they had to try and save him, but first they had to find a foster family.

When they wrote their emergency appeal on their Facebook page they described Lucas' state-of-mind:

Lucas is VERY stressed in the shelter and it is showing, he excessively licks his nose so its all dried up and he's scratching himself so much he has some hair loss. Lucas is not a fan of the cage but we had a trainer come and evaluate him today and we think it's definitely something that with time he will adjust to. When Lucas is out of the cage and outside his personality shines through. We think that a home with older children is best because he appears to have been in a home as a single dog with no other animals and is used to quiet.

Touched by Lucas' loyalty and heartbreaking circumstances, people submitted their foster applications and later that very day, Lucas had a foster family to go home to. Lucas will now have a loving home to take care of him while he grieves and heals. He may not know it yet, but thanks to the efforts of kind strangers he will be helped to a new life for a second time.
    sparkly, Novice, Laurent and 7 others like this.

Crying ^ so happy for him.

Really, cannot "LIKE" this enough. Yay!
    Honey likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I'll take him. Gladly.
    Greys in you're serious about saving a dog from ACC, PM me I have contacts with rescues that can help you get one from out of state. He's not the only dog caught up in the mess that the ACC is.

The NY ACC is fucking disgrace- they average 10 dogs per night on the euth. list. They held off a whole week from publishing one after Sandy. It's been reported they were very quietly killing dogs during that time. Those that would have appeared on a published list- healthy, friendly and nothing wrong with them other than the misfortune of being in the ACC and a pit or pit mix. Hell, even highly adoptable small dogs get killed day in and day out.

ETA: Here is a FB site that advocates for these poor souls. https://www.facebook.com/Urgentdeath...ref=ts&fref=ts
    Novice likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information