• 1 Post By angelais
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By DeadDwarf
  • 1 Post By Sarzy

Thread: Orangutan Mr Bernie does all he can to avoid getting his fur wet

Default Orangutan Mr Bernie does all he can to avoid getting his fur wet

• Mr Bernie is one of 330 orphaned apes at an orangutan centre in Borneo
    • He was brought to the Orangutan Care Centre and Quarantine in July 2010
    • Those in the wild often evade water and clean themselves with their fingers
    As generations of parents will gladly testify, bath time often turns into a battleground when toddlers are involved.
    And as these adorable pictures show, it’s not just human babies who get all steamed up when it’s time to take a dip.
    Two-year-old Mr Bernie — one of 330 orphaned apes at the Orangutan Care Centre and Quarantine in Borneo — will do just about anything to avoid taking a plunge. With four strong hands able to firmly grasp the sides of the bath, getting him into the warm, soapy water can be a soggy struggle.

I'm the king of the swimmers: Two-year-old Mr Bernie - one of 330 orphaned apes at the Orangutan Care Centre and Quarantine in Borneo - will do just about anything to avoid taking a plunge

Not happy: In the wild, orangutans usually shy away from water, preferring to keep themselves clean through picking out bugs and dirt with their long fingers. But at the orphanage there are no ape mums to help out

In the wild, orangutans usually shy away from water, preferring to keep themselves and their babies clean through picking out bugs and dirt with their long fingers. But at the orphanage there are no ape mums to help out.
    Some toddler apes — such as Charlie, pictured here in a green towel — are fans. Mister Bernie, however, is not. He was brought to the orphanage in July 2010.

A spokesman from the centre said: ‘He was a scrawny, scared little thing with hair matted from sticky sap. After a long bath, some motherly attention, and countless bananas, Mr Bernie started thriving in his new home. He is now strong, healthy and handsome.’
    The centre was set up in 1998 to help orphaned and rescued orangutans learn the skills they need to live independently in the wild.
    Located in the village of Pasir Panjang near Tanjung Puting National Park, a team of surrogate human mums live with the youngsters day and night.
    Each day, the orphans are taken into the 200 acre forest surrounding the centre where they forage, play and hunt, carefully watched by their carers.

Care: The centre was set up in 1998 to help orphaned and rescued orangutans learn the skills they need to live independently in the wild

Under wraps: Some toddler apes - such as Charlie, pictured (right) - are fans. Mr Bernie (left), however, is not

Often, the human mothers sleep with the young apes overnight in wooden shelters in the forest. The bond between carer and orphan is powerful.
    Soon after arriving at the centre, traumatised babies can cling to their new mothers all day, only gradually learning independence over weeks and months.

'He was a scrawny, scared little thing with hair matted from sticky sap. After a long bath, some motherly attention, and countless bananas, Mr Bernie started thriving in his new home. He is now strong, healthy and handsome'
    Orangutan Care Centre and Quarantine spokesman

The caregivers stay by their wards’ sides until they are able to live completely on their own. The moment when the youngsters finally leave home can be devastating for their human “parents”.

All the orphans have distinct personalities. Luna, pictured with a milk bottle, is quiet and nervous. She was rescued from a worker at a palm oil plantation who was keeping her as a pet.
    When she arrived at the centre a year ago, aged 12 months, she was half the size of a healthy orangutan of her age.
    Mr Bernie has altogether more confidence. Famed for his insatiable appetite and his ability to sneak food, he will — if unsupervised — steal baby bottles full of milk from other apes.

Read more: Adorable orphan ape Mr Bernie does all he can to avoid getting his fur wet in bath in Borneo | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Aww this has warmed my soul!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Oh he's too cute.

Orangutans are some of the cutest things on the planet. I just love them. He is too precious.

Warmed my heart, too
    *DIVA! likes this.

What a sweetie pie.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fgg

i'll adopt one of these adorable little orphans!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

This is the sweetest thing! Poor Mr. Bernie! lol
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I would gladly volunteer to give the little bugger a bath. He is so cute!
    Honey likes this.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I love the soulful look on Charlie with his banana and towel. I think he knows he's posing for the cameras.
    Honey likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I love orangutans and we visted them often at the zoo. Once it was raining so all the orangutans were near the glass where it was covered from the rain. And the one toddler orangutan was running around and his mom kept trying to grab him and have him sit with her so she could groom him. But he was running back and forth hitting her and the other ones to get them to play. They just weren't having it because of the rain. We were laughing so much because it reminded us of our kids and the mom orangutan was getting irritated with him and started swatting at him for being obnoxious.
    Waterslide likes this.

Adorable. The people at that centre do such a good job for the orphaned Orangutans. I hate how their habitat is being destroyed.
    roslyntaberfan likes this.

Thread Information