Thread: Older Cats and Arthritis?

Question Older Cats and Arthritis?

I have a 10 year old cat, who's rather chubby (nick names, "Chub Chub" and "Fatty")...Anyone know if it's rather normal that they get some kind of arthritis? She's starting to hobble, and I'm wondering if that may be what it is. Thanks!
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

SVZ

Default Re: Older Cats and Arthritis?

I think it may be one of those things that sadly come with age...you could maybe ask your vet? But that costs money...You could always try a chondritin and glucosamene supplement?

I do have to take the other two babies in this week, but getting my older one to the vet is an Impossible task...maybe I'll just pose the question. Thought she was getting jealous over the new ones, and came up with an injury!!
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

I've had three older cats over the years, and two had arthritis. I have an 8-year-old adopted stray and he is fat, and is quite stiff -- I suspect he has arthritis from living outside in the cold and damp for so long.

My vet told me that arthritis is very common in older cats, especially fat ones, because when they jump down from stuff all their weight goes onto their front paws. I have an old fattie now, he is huge, and he was a stray, so all of these things can be the problem, he is old, he is fat, he was homeless for a while until we took him in and may have arthritis, you should see how inventive he has become in order not to jump down from things. He will slide his paws down the side of something, or establish elaborate routes over the furniture so he can climb down, rather than jumping.
    Keep passing the open windows.

That is quite common. Poor kitty cats. They get so stiff and hobble about when they first get up from a nap. My poor cat, Tessa, who I had to have put to rest, she had stomach cancer and she had arthritis. She had it very bad and was on meds because when she almost 1, she was spooked by a dog barking and jumped about 3 stories. Took her to the vet and she didn't break anything but said she would develop arthritis quicker than normal and she did, around 5. She was 15. Had it not been for the stomach cancer, doc said she could have lived about 5 more years with the arthritis.

I did try to see what she was favoring when she walked - she's not jumping onto anything anymore, but heavily favoring one of her rear legs. Very much dislikes setting it down when she's trying to climb downstairs. Like Glasgow said, I would expect it more in the front paws because of how they jump down. Maybe an injury instead of arthritis??

Guess it may be off to the vet I go...

You should get it checked out if she is favoring it so much, it might be injured, or they can get tumors. Maybe the vet can give her some meds if it is arthritis.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Cats are hard to treat. They mask pain very well, and you can't give them aspirin like you can for a dog. They can't metabolize it and it can kill them. My stray does the same thing -- finds elaborate ways not to have to jump.

Hey Dark Bunny I too have an old cat named Tessa. She's 16 and is healthy except for her back hips, darn arthritis. She gets around and even up on the furniture still, but she's very stiff and clumsy now. I was just thinking today that I should get this condition confirmed and see if they can give her a shot of something.

I'm sorry to hear you had to put her down. It's so awful to go through. My white cat died in March at the age of 17 and it still hurts me. My heart goes out to you.

Thread Information