Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Calling all cat people: Advice please!

Default Calling all cat people: Advice please!

I'm a first time cat owner. I adopted a 9 week old ragdoll kitten last week and she is absolutely adorable. She is already litter trained but we have a problem where she is getting poop stuck to her bum hair. I have been using baby wipes to clean her up everyday..

She doesn't eat her dry food. I tried mixing it with her wet food but she eats around it. Her poo is soft but not diarrea/runny. Is there a better way to encourage her to eat it so she has more fibre in her diet??

Lastly, wouldn't she normally clean her own bum?? or will this be something that I will be doing for the rest of her life??

*Please forgive me if these questions seem silly and thanks in advance for your advice*
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Just use the dry food. She will not like it,but give her time. Or check with the vet in case she is too little yet.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

She's young, she'll learn to keep herself clean eventually. If not, you could consider trimming the hairs on her behind to keep it clean. Lots of people do this with their long haired cats.

If she's not eating her dry food, she may not like that particular brand/flavour. Cats can be picky. There is dry food made especially for kittens (smaller pieces and not as hard), if you're not using that give it a try.

Awww, how cute! Ragdolls are such sweet kitties. Would you mind posting a picture of her? Cats are really finicky with food. They'll snub one brand and eat another, and then switch a week later! They do it because they can and we always cave lol
    Bluebonnet and thordis like this.

Wait a minute!! What is her NAME? You know how we love that part!
    SuriCruise likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Ragdolls are great (and big) cats. My brother has had (and lost) two in the past 10 years. They were strays or give ups that he adopted from shelters. Very easygoing, but had weird health issues. Trimming the area is the best solution, in my opinion.

I have pictures, too. My kids loved the those cats.

Did you get kitten dry food or cat dry food? She needs kitten dry food.
    Also, at this point is it an issue? Can't you just feed her kitten food? It's more important that she gets her nutrients (IMHO).
    However, with the bum-hair-poo issue... You're on your own there kid!

Pics & name pls!
    Free Charmed.

Kittens are not quite as tidy as adult cats, but they do learn fast. Re: the dry food. Some cats don't take to it right away. Get a good brand (although my idiots love Meow Mix and won't eat anything else) and just leave it for her without breaking down and giving in to her. She WILL eventually eat it. Maybe put a little warm water on it at first to give it a scent and to make it softer.

NO MILK, unless you like cleaning up diarrhea.

pics pics pics!

please

I think I would take her to a pet spaw and get them to do a shave for a while. Or at least get the hair in that area way down.

I would trim the hair. Also, canned is much healthier for them than dry (according to the vet, because cats get most of their water from food and don't drink enough unless there's another health problem), so it's good she prefers canned. The canned we feed without diarrhea and other problems are Wellness, Evo and Merrick.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Pics!!!
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

In my experience, kittens have soft stinky poo. They're babies

I have two little ones now, and two adult cats. They all get their wet food twice a day, a big spoonful apiece. Dry food/kitten food and water is available in between and they all munch on that. I agree, try a few different brands and see what she likes. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat it. But yes, they're finicky. I also had one cat who also would eat nothing but meow mix, she turned her nose up at wet food. That was a first...

As for her grooming, I would also agree to give her time with that. But, long-haired cats do tend to need more help in the grooming dept. They also get lovely puked up hairballs.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Hahaha sorry to leave you hanging.. her name is Pixie

Thank you all for your great advice! I've been giving her Whiskas kitten pouches (which she loves!!) plus supplying her with whiskas kitten dry food during the day. I was working on the assumption that her teeth might go bad if she only ate wet food. Myth??

I'll give her a slight trim around the bum as well. Thankfully she doesnt seem too upset by me cleaning her with baby wipes.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

ohhhhhhh my god she's adorable!

we have always mixed the food (dry with crunchies) also we leave a bowl with some crunchies for our cats to munch on during the day.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information