Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Wonderful people rescue dog from a mountain. Jerk who abandoned her, wants her back.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Default Wonderful people rescue dog from a mountain. Jerk who abandoned her, wants her back.

Injured Dog Rescued From Mountain; Owner Who Left It There Wants It Back | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

ABC News' Annie Rose Ramos reports:

About 13,500 feet above the ground, among the snow-capped peaks of Mount Bierstadt in Colorado, Scott Washburn and his wife, Amanda, found an abandoned, dying German shepherd dog.
    Washburn and his wife this past Saturday, Aug. 11, were on a leisurely hike up Mount Bierstadt in Clear Creek County, a 14,000-foot peak near Denver that is categorized as a "14er" because, as Washburn said, "the peak is over 14,000 feet high and considered a Class 3, meaning it is not the most difficult - but it's too difficult for a dog to be on it or an inexperienced person.
    "We were hiking to this ridge and we got off course and I was a little ahead of my wife," he said. "She called out to me and said, 'Hey I found a dog,' and figured I misheard her 'cause there was no way a dog was where we were."
    Washburn and his wife were incredulous at how this dog, tucked into a tiny nook between rocks, could have ended up where it was. The whimpering dog was, as Washburn said, "in awful shape." He was convinced it would have died if left without food or water for much longer. The couple tried to coax the dog up out of the rocks and down the mountain but it was clear the dog was too injured and weak to move.
    "We knew we weren't going to be able to get her out by herself," said Washburn. "Her paws were completely raw and her elbows were torn up."
    The dog weighed more than 100 pounds and was too heavy to carry down the mountain, so the Washburns used their first aid kit to try to patch up as many of the dog's wounds as they could. They then left the dog, with water, on a leveled boulder in hopes of being able to find it when they returned with help.
    Farther down the mountain, the Washburns ran into a Forest Service ranger who expressed sadness and regret that he could not offer any help on behalf of the forest rangers.
    "My wife broke down crying at the thought of leaving the dog to die," said Washburn.
    So the two called everyone they could think of. They started a Facebook page and posted a plea for help on a hikers' forum website called 14ers. Reactions and volunteers began to pour in, as well as an overwhelming amount of posts from the online community infuriated by the apparent abandonment of the dog for dead on the cold cliffs.
    The discussion grew so heated that it was locked by the site administrator to prevent further comments on Wednesday "until things simmer down," according to local ABC News affiliate, ABC 7 News, The Denver Channel.
    Washburn got together a group of eight volunteers and the group headed back up the mountain that Monday morning. The group found the dog with all of its wounds Washburn had tried to bandage reopened. The rocks around the dog were covered in blood, and the dog was back cowering beneath the surrounding rocks.
    The group of eight hikers traveled through a full-blown snowstorm that broke out during their hike. Eventually, after a nine-hour rescue mission, the group successfully managed to bring back the broken and bruised dog in a hiker's oversized backpack.
    Upon their return, the hikers entrusted the dog to a local vet, who told Washburn that it was "the miracle dog of the century, and although she was severely dehydrated she has, miraculously, no long-term or permanent damage."
    Soon, the rescuers learned the dog's name is Missy and her owner is 29-year-old Anthony Ortolani.
    Ortolani told The Denver Channel that he was forced to leave his pet on the mountain Aug. 5, when a storm moved in and he became worried for the safety of a younger hiker who was with him. He said his dog's feet were cut up from walking on sharp rocks and it could no longer walk.
    "I just don't think that his actions have shown that he is a responsible dog owner," Washburn said. "We understand that he had to leave her there. My wife and I did the same thing. But we ended up going back for her, and we went to some pretty extreme lengths to do so. In my opinion, that is not a responsible dog owner, who doesn't really care about her."
    Washburn and his wife, as well as other members of the rescue team, would now like to adopt Missy, Washburn said. But Ortolani is asking for his dog back.
    Missy remains at the veterinarian's office until she completely recovers. After that, she will be handed over to animal control officials at the Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office.
    Clear Creek County Sheriff's Sgt. Rick Safe said the issue is under investigation to determine whether Ortolani is guilty of cruelty to an animal.
    "The dog was basically abandoned up there," Safe said. "He [Ortolani] made no initial attempt. After three days, he thought the dog was deceased so he made no attempts to reclaim the dog."
    The sheriff's department also has a rescue team, and other hikers told them about Missy being stranded on Mount Bierstadt during the weekend. However, the rescue team was unable to respond because it is solely reserved for human rescues.
    "We can't specifically send a rescue effort for a dog," Safe said. "We have a designated rescue team. In the last two weeks we have had six rescues, one a day on the weekends, for people. It is tough terrain out there."
    For now, Missy is on the road to recovery and an animal control officer from Clear Creek County will pursue the investigation by interviewing Ortolani.
    ABC News' efforts to reach Ortolani were unsuccessful.
    Also Read

Poor Dog. No way I'd give this guy this dog back. Who takes a dog mountain climbing in those conditions? Stupid wanker.

her owner is 29-year-old Anthony Ortolani.
    Send this motherfucker on a plane down here to Australia, because I have a steel capped boot that's going to send his testicles up into his chest cavity The fact that this worthless piece of shit was able to leave the mountain and not return - just assuming his dog was a lost cause - and able to go on without desperately returning at first chance to try and help a pet that was only on the damn mountain because of him... god damn, I want so much to do physical harm to this Ortolani arsehole
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

What a heartless jerk he is! I would not let him have a pet rock.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Send this motherfucker on a plane down here to Australia, because I have a steel capped boot that's going to send his testicles up into his chest cavity The fact that this worthless piece of shit was able to leave the mountain and not return - just assuming his dog was a lost cause - and able to go on without desperately returning at first chance to try and help a pet that was only on the damn mountain because of him... god damn, I want so much to do physical harm to this Ortolani arsehole
    Yep and I'll be right beside you, call me!
    Kat Scorp likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Book me a ticket and I'll come join you. I would love nothing better than to make it so this guy pissed his pants every time he saw a dog. Anyone else thinks that the owner just wants her back because he thinks that there might be some $$$ to be made from reunion photos?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Hopefully the Washburns will get to keep the dog.

I'm so angry at the owner of this poor dog that I've had to delete what I want to write several times; needless to say he's an absolute fucking shitstain and I hope he realises that karma is a total bitch.

That poor, poor little darling Missy must have been terrified. Thank Christ for people like the ones who rescued her. There is no way in hell that owner should get her back - he should rot in prison for what he did.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Sorry to post from the Daily Fail but there are some further details and images that I think are of interest.

Canine custody battle: Hiker who climbed 13,000ft to rescue Missy the German Shepherd wants to keep her after owner was forced to leave dog on mountain | Mail Online

Hiker climbs 13,000ft to rescue Missy the German Shepherd after owner left it to die to save his own life - and now they're fighting over who keeps her

By Emily Anne Epstein
    PUBLISHED: 05:29, 17 August 2012 | UPDATED: 11:41, 17 August 2012

Two Denver hikers are locked in a bitter battle over the fate of a German Shepard named Missy, who was abandoned by one and then rescued by another at 13,000 feet.

Scott Washburn found the dog bloodied and near-death atop Colorado's Mt Bierstadt and then organized a search and rescue party to save her.

He wants to keep the dog, alleging that Anthony Ortolani lacks the ability or compassion to care for the creature, which went without food and water for eight days.
    But Mr Ortolani says he didn't abandon the animal, an oncoming storm forced him to choose between staying by her side and perishing, or going down the mountain without her.
    Scroll down for video

Rescue: Two Denver hikers are locked in a bitter battle over the fate of a German Shepard named Missy, who was abandoned by one and then rescued by another at 13,000 feet

Battle: Scott and Amanda Washburn, left, want to keep the dog, alleging that Anthony Ortolani, right, lacks the ability or compassion to care for the creature, which went without food and water for eight days

Scott Washburn and his wife Amanda discovered Missy on August 11, wounded and near-death atop a mound of bloodied rocks.

They gave her food and water and tried to get her out, using their first aid kit to bandage her wounds, but the animal's paws were too damaged for it to walk.

They posted a photograph of Missy on the 14ers.com, a social network for mountain climbers.

Immediately, dozens of people tapped into her plight and opted to organize a rescue for the dog - at the same time, wondering who could be so cruel as to bring an animal to the top of a mountain and leave it there.

Eight volunteers banded together to rescue Missy, launching a nine-hour mission to find and recover her. They found her just before a snowstorm was settling in and put her in an over-sized backpack to remove her from her perch.

Found: Scott Washburn and his wife Amanda discovered Missy on August 11, wounded and near-death atop a mound of bloodied rocks on Mt Bierstadt

Search: They posted a photograph of Missy on the 14ers.com, a social network for mountain climbers. Immediately, dozens of people tapped into her plight and opted to organize a rescue for the dog - at the same time, wondering who could be so cruel as to bring an animal to the top of a mountain and leave it there

A veterinarian volunteered to take her in and found that the dog miraculously had no fractures, no internal injuries nor other permanent damage from the ordeal.

'Her survival and shear will to live are astounding by any measure,' Mr Washburn said.

The Washburns grew attached to the dog, but that's when her owner, 29-year-old Anthony Ortolani entered the picture - happy his dog had been saved and embarrassed he wasn't the one who came to her rescue.

'I am at a complete loss of words. My gratitude for the people involved in this is without measure,' Mr Ortolani posted on 14ers.com.

He asked for the name of the clinic Missy was being treated at so he could be reunited with her and reimburse them for healing her.

Mission: Eight volunteers banded together to rescue Missy, launching a nine-hour mission to find and recover her

Safe: They found her just before a snowstorm was settling in and put her in an over-sized backpack to remove her from her perch

Healthy: A veterinarian volunteered to take her in and found that the dog miraculously had no fractures, no internal injuries nor other permanent damage from the ordeal

Rescuers: Alex Gelb, Stefan Kleinschuster, Ralph Kolva, Chris O┐Riley, John Steed, and Christoph Tomford, Scott Washburn, bottom right, and Chase Lindell, bottom left, all teamed up to save Missy, center

Reading the mounting messages of disdain for his treatment of the dog, he explained his actions.

'Missy was hurt during an attempt at crossing the Sawtooth. It was Missy, a friend and I,' he said.

Her injuries made it impossible for her to walk, so the two hikers tried to lower her from boulder to boulder with ropes, but she was getting hurt worse and worse.

'Eventually she just stopped standing or moving at all and I knew she was pretty badly hurt,' he said.

'I picked her up on my shoulders and was hopping from boulder to boulder but I couldn't keep her on me.'

They spent two hours trying to get her down, but with encroaching clouds and mounting fear, they made the difficult decision to leave her behind.

'I called the 911, the sheriff's office and search and rescue and I was told that it was to risky for them to send rescue crew up there for a dog,' he said, adding that 'thinking about her suffering was awful beyond words' and that he convinced himself she had died of her injuries to cope with the guilt of leaving her.

'All I can say is that I am relieved that she is okay,' he said on the message board. 'I am ashamed that it wasn't me who got her off of the mountain, I underestimated the good will and resolve of the hiking community of Colorado, and I am eternally grateful.'

Mine: The Washburns grew attached to the dog, but that's when her owner, 29-year-old Anthony Ortolani, pictured, entered the picture - happy his dog had been saved and embarrassed he wasn't the one who came to her rescue

Surprised: He asked for the name of the clinic Missy was being treated at so he could be reunited with her and reimburse them for healing her

He said that in the days after he left her, he searched the internet for 'dog found on Bierstadt' every days, but didn't find anything.

He had just about given up hope when he read about her heroic rescuers and her good fortune.

'I can't bring you all there to when I made that choice and what was going through my head. My kids, my friends son, a lot. I do know that I do want my Missy Girl back. I also know that there are many people that think I don't deserve her back. I can tell you that she would be very happy to see me. I have learned a lot and I am convicted to never let this happen again. Missy is getting another chance, I am asking the same,' he said.

Fight: The Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office is investigating the case, not to decide who the dog's rightful owner is, but whether or not Mr Ortolani is guilty of cruelty to an animal

However, now that Missy is in the care of the local law enforcement, things aren't that simple.

Mr Washburn thinks that Mr Ortolani is an unfit dog-owner and that he can offer a better life to Missy.

He said that he understands Mr Ortolani's choice to leave her, but not his choice not to return.

'My wife and I had to abandon her as well. When we found her on Saturday we knew that we would be unable to bring her out ourselves and with extremely heavy hearts we left her on a rock knowing that she may die,' Mr Washburn said.

'Despite being forced to abandon her, we came back for her.'

The Clear Creek County Sheriff's Office is investigating the case, not to decide who the dog's rightful owner is, but whether or not Mr Ortolani is guilty of cruelty to an animal.

Read more: Canine custody battle: Hiker who climbed 13,000ft to rescue Missy the German Shepherd wants to keep her after owner was forced to leave dog on mountain | Mail Online
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Thankyou Roslyn ^

He said that he understands Mr Ortolani's choice to leave her, but not his choice not to return.

'My wife and I had to abandon her as well. When we found her on Saturday we knew that we would be unable to bring her out ourselves and with extremely heavy hearts we left her on a rock knowing that she may die,' Mr Washburn said.

'Despite being forced to abandon her, we came back for her.'
    And that's the crux of it for me. Even if I thought my fur baby was dead, I couldn't possibly cope with the slightest chance s/he was alive and suffering. I'd go back. You'd go back. I can't comprehend not going back.

I'm in love with this pic of Missy, Chase and Christoph
    Kittylady and HelpMeRhonda like this.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Book me a ticket and I'll come join you. I would love nothing better than to make it so this guy pissed his pants every time he saw a dog. Anyone else thinks that the owner just wants her back because he thinks that there might be some $$$ to be made from reunion photos?
    And I'll be third in line - I suspect there'll be a queue.

^^getting in line behind all of you. If the owner cared about the dog, he would have done what the people who eventually rescued her did. He did not even try to find anyone to help, once the authorities (who, IMO, are total assholes for not finding a way to help) refused, he just did not bother. He DOES NOT love or deserve that dog.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I'm definitely in line.

'Her survival and shear will to live are astounding by any measure,' Mr Washburn said.
    SHEER for fuck's sake. God damned Daily Fail.
    Trixie likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Thankyou Roslyn ^

And that's the crux of it for me. Even if I thought my fur baby was dead, I couldn't possibly cope with the slightest chance s/he was alive and suffering. I'd go back. You'd go back. I can't comprehend not going back.

I'm in love with this pic of Missy, Chase and Christoph
    All of these people are my heroes.

I also cannot imagine not going back. Hell..I'm the idiot that would stay and die with my dog while waiting for help for the both of us. I so hope the Washburns can keep Missy..they deserve each other.
    Brookie, Kat Scorp and rockchick like this.

He left her for dead. Now she should be considered dead to him and any ownership.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

First of all, what kind of fucking IDIOT would take a German Shepherd up a 14er? They are not mountain dogs. If you do a 14er you will see people with Bernese or Pyrenees or other type of breeds that can handle the conditions and terrain, that doesn't mean you can take any type of dog up there. Would you have tried to take a Maltese? This man suffers from chronic fucking stupidity and should not have a dog, let alone this dog that he left to die without even asking a ranger to help.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information