Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By SHELLEE
  • 6 Post By greysfang
  • 2 Post By Kittylady
  • 2 Post By OrangeSlice
  • 1 Post By Waterslide

Thread: Holy Shit My Pants! Burmese Python Found in Florida With Record 87 Eggs

fgg

Default Holy Shit My Pants! Burmese Python Found in Florida With Record 87 Eggs

Holy Herpetology! Burmese Python Found With Record 87 Eggs

At 17 feet, 7 inches (5.3 meters) in length, it is the largest snake of its kind found in the state and it was carrying a record 87 eggs. Scientists say the finding highlights how dangerously comfortable the invasive species has become in its new home.

"This thing is monstrous, it's about a foot wide," said Kenneth Krysko, of the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida. "It means these snakes are surviving a long time in the wild, there's nothing stopping them and the native wildlife are in trouble."

The giant female python was discovered in the Everglades National Park and had been stored since May in a freezer at the museum; on Friday, researchers at the museum studied its internal anatomy, making the wild discovery.

Florida is the world capital for invasive reptiles and amphibians, and the Burmese python, native to Southeast Asia, is one of the state's most prominent new residents. The snake was introduced to Florida by the exotic pet trade three decades ago and is now one of the region's deadliest and most competitive predators.

"They were here 25 years ago, but in very low numbers and it was difficult to find one because of their cryptic behavior," Krysko said in a statement from the University of Florida. "Now, you can go out to the Everglades nearly any day of the week and find a Burmese python. We've found 14 in a single day."

Officials worry that the snakes pose a threat to humans, as well as to native, endangered species, which turn up in the pythons' stomachs. This record-breaking, 164.5-pound (75-kg) specimen found in Everglades National Park had feathers in its belly that will be identified by museum ornithologists, the researchers said. Research published this year suggested the pythons are not only eating the Everglades' birds but they're also snatching, and likely swallowing whole birds' eggs.

Population estimates for the Burmese python in Florida range from the thousands to hundreds of thousands, the researchers said. Studying this massive female specimen with dozens of babies on board could help scientists understand how to curb the spread of the python and other invasive animals.

"By learning what this animal has been eating and its reproductive status, it will hopefully give us insight into how to potentially manage other wild Burmese pythons in the future," Krysko said.

Previous state records for Burmese pythons found in the wild were 16.8 feet (5.1 meters) long and 85 eggs, the researchers said.

Holy Herpetology! Burmese Python Found With Record 87 Eggs - Yahoo! News
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Of course it's Florida...

They really need to stop the sale of these exotic species here. Assholes buy them and let them go when they get too big and now they compete with the natural species for food. We have the same problem with Lion Fish down here. They eat every fucking thing in the ocean.
    shedevilang likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

87 eggs? Slut.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ That would have made for one hell of an episode of Maury!
    Waterslide and *DIVA! like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

You ARE the father. And you ARE the father too. And you, and you, and you. (x87)
    Waterslide and cherrypye like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

The giant female python was discovered in the Everglades National Park and had been stored since May in a freezer at the museum; on Friday, researchers at the museum studied its internal anatomy, making the wild discovery.
    I'm assuming the thing is dead if it's current home is a freezer; this really doesn't say.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I'm assuming the thing is dead if it's current home is a freezer; this really doesn't say.
    Yes, it was dead. Non native snakes are killed, they have hunts for them because they are detrimental to the everglades environment.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

edit, if you want to read a completely gross story about snakes highlight this:

Wow! Even the scientists seemed skeeved. Recently, somebody I know found a rattle snake in their backyard and they shot it and when they did, all the babies came out. At least, that's how I understood the story. I think they had to go try to find the babies after that, because she couldn't have rattlesnakes in her yard with children around and everything.

Sorry to everyone I grossed out!
    Last edited by Waterslide; August 14th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

why the hell did i come in here, eeek why the hell did I come in here *shudders
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Wow! Even the scientists seemed skeeved. Recently, somebody I know found a rattle snake in their backyard and they shot it and when they did, all the babies came out. At least, that's how I understood the story. I think they had to go try to find the babies after that, because she couldn't have rattlesnakes in her yard with children around and everything.
    Waterslide you are dead to me. I'm so horrified right now!!!!!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Waterslide.. you can rock me to sleep tonight!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Note to self: don't go to Florida.

Wow!! I didn't realize their eggs were that big! I've seen them when they are babies, and they were so tiny. 87?!?! Damn....Can you imagine 87 little baby pythons being born & squirming away? I like snakes. I would still get a bit skeeved out though if I saw a sight like that.
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I'm really sorry about my story, it grossed me out and I think that's why I felt I should share it. Seriously, really really sorry about that!
    Sleuth likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Thread Information