Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Help, my kitten has a swollen lower lip

Default Help, my kitten has a swollen lower lip

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this vet worthy?

On Wednesday, it looked like she had a big pimple on her chin, then on Thursday, her lip appeared swollen, but the pimple thing was gone. I called the vet and they said to monitor it and call if it persists.

It was fine until this morning, when I noticed it was swollen again. Googeling pet symptoms is as bad as going to webmd. Either she has cancer or I need to switch feeding bowls.

Any feedback is appreciated!

ETA: She has never been outside and no new food or any other exposures

I would make a trip to the vet since it's persisting. It'll give you peace of mind. It doesn't sound like an emergency so you could probably wait until Monday so you don't have to make a weekend emergency vet visit, but I would go ahead tomorrow.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Could she have been bitten by a spider or somthing? I would check with the vet tommorrow if it gets worse tonight.

Could be a cyst, or an insect bite. Maybe an allergic reaction to a flea bite. It doesn't sound like cancer or anything but you'll need to have it checked out to make sure.

Could it be he fell or something? It might be bruising/swelling from that.
    I had that happen to a cat once, where his tooth actually pierced the lip and caused a lot of swelling. Is he moving his jaw/eating okay? Does he look like he's in pain or discomfort?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, she is acting like all is normal. I can touch her lip and she doesnt fuss, so I can only assume it doest bother her. Trust me, she would scratch my eyes out if I touched a sensitive area.

Fleas, I doubt it, she is my only fur baby and she's never been outside since she found me and she has been to the vet and she didnt have any. Spider, maybe...all houses have spiders, but she is such a princess, I'm sure she would run away.

Thanks again!

fgg

i don't know what it is but if i saw that on my puppy, she'd be at the vet the next morning. i'm glad she isn't sensitive to it when you touch it so hopefully it is nothing.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

You will feel better after a vet visit. Please let us know!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We had the same thing happen with a couple of our cats at the shelter, and I don't remember what they said it was, but it was nothing serious at all. The vet drained the lip and that was it. I hope it turns out to be the same thing for little kitty!

You're cat's had PS to make herself look super sexy to other kittehs?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^^ having me as a mom, PS isnt out of the question, lol

I called the vet this morning, but the swelling was gone again. They said they prefer to see her when it is inflamed, but want to see her by the end of the week, even if it does not swell again to make sure she doesnt have some sort of infection.

I will be glad to know what this is. Could it be a tooth? I do wonder what is going on.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

When I was speaking with the vet tech, she asked me to inspect her mouth (not an easy job) She asked me to look at gums and teeth and nothing appeared out of whack, but I also do not get to look in her mouth often.

I will update when we see the vet.
    Brookie and McJag like this.

My Ramsay got a shot

Her lip was really swollen this morning so I took her in. Our normal vet is gone so we got one of the partners who was nice but obnoxious as hell. He was talking to me like I was a fellow Dr who could understand all of his big words and he wouldnt shut up. He went on for 20 minutes!

Basically, there are 3 causes for lip swelling, she has the 1st, most common, least dangerous type caused by air born or consumed irritants. Basically, it go can go untreated as long as it isnt hurting or stressing her. It seriously took him 20 minutes to explain that to me.

He gave her a shot in the back leg of corto - something - complex that should bring it down within 72 hours. He wants me to call Thursday with feedback and he will decide how to proceed. I didnt dare ask why if it could be left untreated why he wanted feedback. I will probably just leave a message for our normal vet to call me back.

I will give him some credit, he called Ramsay beautiful and he handled her well. She is a bitch who will bite and scratch, she didnt growl once.

Cortisone? Corticosteroids?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Well, I thought it would be just Cortisone, but he said it was corti - blahblah - complex.

I just looked at the bill and it says prednisone injection. So, who the hell knows. This guy really liked the sound of his own voice. I've never encountered a medical professional who speaks to patients this way.

ETA, I guess, I'm just glad to hear it's nothing serious at this point.
    SHELLEE likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information