Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By Bluebonnet

Thread: Zoo keeper mauled to death by wolves

Default Zoo keeper mauled to death by wolves

Pack of eight wolves maul woman keeper to death at Sweden's most popular zoo as horrified visitors look on

By Amy Oliver

PUBLISHED: 19:15, 17 June 2012 | UPDATED: 19:15, 17 June 2012
    A female keeper was today mauled to death by a pack of eight wolves at a popular Swedish zoo, police said.

The 30-year-old woman had entered the wolf enclosure at Kolmarden park, in the Ostergotland district, alone at about 11am when the deadly incident happened.

It is understood that visitors to the zoo then witnessed the horrific attack.

Attack: The 30-year-old woman had entered the wolf enclosure at Kolmarden park, in the Ostergotland district, alone at about 11am when the deadly incident happened (file picture)

Emergency services could not enter the enclosure while the woman was being mauled for fear of being attacked themselves.

Emergency services co-ordinator, Jan Tengeborg, told Aftonbladet newspaper: 'You canít just go in to a pack of wolves. Police and ambulance staff couldnít get close to the victim until later.'

It is not yet clear what provoked the animals to attack.

The wolf enclosure is a big attraction at the zoo due to visitors being allowed into the area to pet the animals.

Popular: The wolf enclosure at the park is a popular draw as visitors can enter and pet the animals

Witnesses: It is understood that visitors to the park, outside Norrkoping, witnessed the horrific attack

The woman's body was recovered after rescue workers and park staff entered the enclosure.
    They managed to force the animals back while an armed park official stood by to shoot the wolves in case they attacked again, according to local reports.

A police spokesman for the Ostergotland district, said: 'She was so badly hurt in the attack that she died of her injuries.

'We do not know why they attacked.'

Shock: Zoological director Mats Hoggren, left, and MD Mats Olsson, sitting, answer questions following the incident. It is not yet clear what provoked the wolves to attack

Police remained at the scene to investigate the incident at the biggest wildlife park in the Nordic region, located around 93 miles south of Stockholm.

Wolf expert Olof Lidberg, told Swedish press agency TT: 'Such an event is very rare, but it can happen. Animals living in zoos aren't afraid of humans and accidents can happen.'
    Kolmarden, founded in 1965, is one of the most popular attractions in Sweden, with more than 500,000 visitors a year.

Read more: Pack of eight wolves maul woman keeper to death at Sweden's most popular zoo as horrified visitors look on | Mail Online

Sounds colossally stupid to me. Walking into the middle of a wolf pack?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

How about not caging up wild animals?
    Honey likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    'We do not know why they attacked.'

Because they are wolves.
    nancydrew likes this.

Brookie and Greys said my first two thoughts.
    Sad for the woman, but going in with the Wolves is just stupid. And visitors are allowed to pet them? Wtf?

I've seen a wolf pack in the wild up close when I was a kid. They just looked at me and I stared back then they moved on. Not vicious at all. More curious than anything.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I've seen a wolf pack in the wild up close when I was a kid. They just looked at me and I stared back then they moved on. Not vicious at all. More curious than anything.
    Must not have been hungry for child that day.

I wonder if this keeper treated them like dogs in any way, maybe unconsciously. The way we interact with dogs is supposedly seen as aggressive or over-excited to wolves. Or maybe she was messing with their food?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

A wolf enclosure, where visitors can come in and pet the wolves??? That seems stupid. A petting zoo should have rabbits and guinea pigs and goats and donkeys and ponies and potbelly pigs. Not wild, carnivorous animals that can and will eat you.

I guess after this incident wolf petting is no longer allowed? I certainly hope so.

Too bad this didn't happen to Palin.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Unlike the Daily Fail - which claims "horrified visitors looked on" - ABC Online didn't cut this line of the interview out:

News agency TT quoted Kolmarden zoological chief Mats Hoggren as saying there were no eyewitnesses to the attack so it was not clear exactly what had happened.
    source: Wolves kill Swedish park worker - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Was it really so necessary for the Daily Fail to make the mauling of the zoo worker worse by inventing witnesses? Anyway, wolves are pack animals. If the alpha is set off, or feels territorial one day, I reckon that's all it would take. They're beautiful creatures, but they're not bunny rabbits.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Thread Information