Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Is this the world's fattest cat? Sponge Bob tips the scales at a massive 33 POUNDS...

Default Is this the world's fattest cat? Sponge Bob tips the scales at a massive 33 POUNDS...

Fat cat named Sponge Bob weighs 33 pounds | Mail Online

Could this massive moggie be the world's fattest cat?
    The ginger tom, who tipped the scales at 33lbs, is the spitting image of out-of-shape Puss in Boots from hit film Shrek the Third.
    Greedy Sponge Bob, 9, who weighs the same as a four-year-old child, is on a strict diet and fitness regime at the animal shelter where he lives.

Dedicated staff at Animal Haven in New York came up with clever exercises to encourage Sponge Bob to move, helping him shed 3lbs in just two months.
    Hilarious video shows Sponge Bob, now 30lbs, bravely jumping out of his pen, hauling his huge belly over the doorway when it gets stuck.

But the adorable puss is still too big to wash his own body, and needs to be brushed and cleaned by hand.
    Previous fattest cat Meow, from Sante Fe, New Mexico, died of pulmonary failure at 39lbs, earlier this month.

Kendra Mara, Animal Haven's associate director, said: 'Sponge Bob came to us when his owner went into a nursing home.
    'We opened up the carrier and about 10 to 15 people stood around staring at him for quite a long time, because he's the largest cat we've ever seen.
    'We don't know how he became so big. We can only guess that his owner, because he was ill, was feeding him dry food on a regular basis, maybe just leaving it out, so he was able to eat whenever he wanted.'

She added: 'It is pretty abnormal for a cat to be able to get this big. But he has had blood work and doesn't have hyperthyroidism or anything so it appears to be just from eating.'
    Sponge Bob lives in a special large pen, usually given to a whole litter of puppies, and staff encourage him to jump out of the cage for daily exercise.
    He is allowed to wander around the cat lounge, to greet other moggies in their pens, and to play with toys and laser lights and roll on his back.

Staff use cat nip to keep Sponge Bob moving, along with occasional tiny cat treats, to make him run across the room.
    'To get him to run across the room, it's worth it,' said Kendra.
    Sponge Bob is fed a special protein diet food of lean chicken, fish and vegetables such as pumpkin, containing no carbohydrates.
    Staff at Animal Haven hope Sponge Bob will continue losing one to two pounds per month, to reach a more healthy weight in around eight months' time.

He is expected to be adopted soon by a loving family, who can dedicate their time to playing with him, as well as continuing his healthy diet.
    'I hope someone sees how wonderful he is and welcomes him in their home,' said Kendra.
    For more information about how to adopt Sponge Bob or other cats, or to make a donation, visit AnimalHavenShelter.org

Omg poor animal. I hope he gets back down to a more normal weight soon. Poor kitty.
    clairescavys likes this.

I'm sorry, but that pic of him laying on his back is hysterical! He reminds me of a Kliban cat.

darksithbunny and shedevilang like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Can't be soon. It has to be done slowly. Cat's livers don't metabolize fat well and quick weight loss can kill them.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Really Twitchy? I didn't know that (thanks for the info by the way). In that case I hope the shelter and the new owners continue to do this slowly. I would love to see new photos of Sponge Bob after being successful at his diet, however long it takes.

I have a cat that is over 25lbs. She was adopted from the SPCA by us, and her previous owner also went into a nursing home. Her name is Sweetie and she is exactly that--we love her. However, it is a tad tricky with her sometimes. She is unable to really groom herself too, and she flips out when we try to bathe her, so we take her to the groomers. She is the only cat that they do. We have to use a dog carrier to transport her anywhere.

She will kick the shit outta any other cat though---she goes out on our front stoop and goes on 'patrol' and if another cat even looks in her direction she will cut a bitch.

She is 8 now, and while we do NOT feed her much (as advised by her Vet) and she does get exercise, but she is just a BIG girl. She's a Maine Coon. I don't see her living much past 10, but you never know.

Lynnie your cat sounds like a total badass!

This poor wee kitty! I hope he gets a personal kitty trainer and gets back in shape. In saying that I do totally want to grab him and give him a huge cuddle, he's gorgeous!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by clairescavys View Post
    Really Twitchy? I didn't know that (thanks for the info by the way). In that case I hope the shelter and the new owners continue to do this slowly. I would love to see new photos of Sponge Bob after being successful at his diet, however long it takes.
    A sudden weightloss overwhelms the liver. Their livers just can't handle fat. Fatty liver disease. It can just happen where they spontaneously lose appetite and trigger it. Feline hepatic lipidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Then in an awful catch-22, it leads to loss of appetite and just gets worse and worse. They weren't meant to eat carbs and commercial cat food is mostly cheap carbs sprayed with fats, food coloring and flavours. Sort of like processed human foods. There's not so much vomiting if they eat real food either.

My daughter's late cat lost her appetite several times and would stop eating and spin out into total fatty liver health crisis. From a pudgy cat when we got her to bony and looking like death. Had to be forcefed due to the lack of appetite.

I'm sure Spongebob will be well looked after though he's got the pros monitoring him. Poor chubby dude.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

i agree with twitchy about the slow weight loss...cats shouldn't lose more than 1/2 a pound per month. my white cat is on a diet right now (he's over 14 pounds) and i just switched him to wet food and he is not happy about it. that orange cat is so stinking cute i just wanna hug him hard and kiss his chubby face!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I'm sorry, but that pic of him laying on his back is hysterical! He reminds me of a Kliban cat.

Is it a cat, or an orange meatloaf?

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I have a cat that is over 25lbs. She was adopted from the SPCA by us, and her previous owner also went into a nursing home. Her name is Sweetie and she is exactly that--we love her. However, it is a tad tricky with her sometimes. She is unable to really groom herself too, and she flips out when we try to bathe her, so we take her to the groomers. She is the only cat that they do. We have to use a dog carrier to transport her anywhere.

She will kick the shit outta any other cat though---she goes out on our front stoop and goes on 'patrol' and if another cat even looks in her direction she will cut a bitch.

She is 8 now, and while we do NOT feed her much (as advised by her Vet) and she does get exercise, but she is just a BIG girl. She's a Maine Coon. I don't see her living much past 10, but you never know.
    I have a kitty like that too. Molly's about 20 pounds I think, but like Sponge Bob, she's also just a HUGE cat in terms of overall size, not fat. (I think even after he's lost a lot of weight, he'll still look huge as those pics show he's really got a giant frame to begin with.) But she isn't flabby; she's very limber and fast, and can jump and climb.

She was a stray from Oregon that we rescued, so we don't know her heritage, but I'd bet there's Maine Coon in there. She's so tall/large overall that she doesn't fit places where the other cats do, like the arms of chairs and such. She tends to flollop over things and let her legs hang down:

McJag, DeChayz, *Kat* and 3 others like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

^What a cutie pie!
    We have 2 that we rescued a couple of weeks apart, they are about 6 years old. The first one, who was found under a shed and starving, weighs 22 pounds. The other one was left at the vet and mr took her home, she only weighs 6 pounds. We feed them the same, I guess it's genetics.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I hate it when people let their animals get hugely fat, it's really unfair on the animal.

They chubby cats are cute... Moffet I would as teal yours!!
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I'm really not trying to hijack the thead, but had to share this pic of my Sweetie and my then 7 yr old sleeping together. Please ignore all the toys in my daughters bed.....but this is just to give you an idea of her size:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Awww, that is so sweet and adorable - thanks for sharing Lynnie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information