• 3 Post By Grimmlok
  • 1 Post By mtlebay
  • 1 Post By McJag
  • 1 Post By Chilly Willy
  • 1 Post By Sarzy
  • 2 Post By Pleiades

Thread: Disabled border collie ‘wakes up happy every day’

Default Disabled border collie ‘wakes up happy every day’

Roosevelt waits for others to catch up during a walk in the woods on Saturday in Portland. He was named after one of the most famous wheelchair users, President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Roosevelt stands on two legs, waiting for someone to throw his ball. His handicap forced him to develop exceptionally strong back legs, allowing him to hop and balance much like a kangaroo. Buy Photo

Robert F. Bukaty | BDN
    Roosevelt bounds away after being unstrapped from his wheels after a walk with his owner, Stephanie Fox. Buy Photo

Katie Anderson, of Freeport, helps put Roosevelt into his wheels before heading out on a walk.

A motorist slows down to check out Roosevelt on Saturday in Portland. "Everyone is curious, " says his owner, Stephanie Fox. "A little kid thought he came from the Land of Misfit Toys," the fictional place in the story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Buy Photo

Robert F. Bukaty | BDN
    Roosevelt is barely slowed down by obstacles like roots. He often accompanies a group of mountain bikers on trips through the woods. Buy Photo

Roosevelt bolts up a set of stairs, Saturday, April 7, 2012, in Portland. The border collie was born with deformed front legs.

Robert F. Bukaty | BDN
    Stephanie Fox carries Roosevelt at her home, Saturday, April 7, 2012, in Portland. "He doesn't like to go down stairs because he can't control his balance," Fox said. "But he really will do anything else, once he knows he won't get hurt." Buy Photo

Robert F. Bukaty | BDN
    Roosevelt gets a hug from his owner, Stephanie Fox, Saturday, April 7, 2012, in Portland. "People say, 'Oh, the poor thing.' But he wakes up happy every day. He doesn't know he's different."

PORTLAND, Maine — When Stephanie Fox went to see the puppy almost three years ago at New England Border Collie Rescue, she knew the breed didn’t always make the best pet. As an experienced owner of other border collies, she was well aware of their need for constant work and attention. So how much more of a challenge would it be if she adopted one with deformed front legs?
    “The only difference between Roosevelt and other dogs is that instead of a collar I snap on his wheels to take him out,” she said.
    “People think he should have been put down because they think he’s suffering,” she said. “But he wakes up happy every day. If you had a child with a disability you’d try to enrich them, give them opportunities. So why not do the same with a dog?”

Disabled border collie
    Pleiades and Sasha like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    “People think he should have been put down because they think he’s suffering,” she said. “But he wakes up happy every day.
    Good for her for giving him a chance and a happy life. That looks like a happy dog to me and he appears to almost be smiling in every pic.
    Honey likes this.

*Sniff* sometimes I love humans who do good stuff like this (only SOMEtimes). What a lucky pooch to have her and vice versa.
    Honey likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

fgg

so happy for that little guy!
    Honey likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

He's got cute little t-rex arms!

And yeah, he wakes up happy. He's a dog, he's alive, and he's not in pain. Why wouldn't he be happy? Each day is a new adventure filled with new favorite things!
    Sasha, Melyanna and Honey like this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What an adventurous and energetic dog! Imagine him with all four working legs??!?!?! Bless... Go doggie!!!!
    Honey likes this.
    Go Habs Go!!

I love this story! Good doggie.
    Honey likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

This made me smile. Big time.
    Honey likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    What an adventurous and energetic dog! Imagine him with all four working legs??!?!?! Bless... Go doggie!!!!
    Border Collies are bursting with energy. They need lots and lots of exercise.
    Fran likes this.

Bronze Member

I love these stories!

I had a three-legged pup who lived for 17 1/2 years. He lived life just like this little guy.
    Honey and McJag like this.

Thread Information