Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Good Dogs Go BAD!!!

Default When Good Dogs Go BAD!!!

Last week, bfs mum went away and bf was at work so Raj was left home alone from 8 in the morning until 6 at night. Well hes not one for being on his own, he always usually has someone around so he figured out how to use his snout/paws to his advantage and decided to raid the fridge. He ate anything his teeth would open, raw meat, sausages, bacon, chicken, cheese etc. Quite expectedly, the next day he wasnt his usual chirpy self and he had a bad case of the shits.

That night me and bf went out for a few drinks and when we returned, rather drunk, my bf decided to play with Raj, he didnt look too amused but being drunk my bf carried on wrestling with him like he usually does. Then all of a sudden I heard a nasty snarl and as I looked over Raj had his teeth clamped around my bfs hand. Being drunk too it took me a minute to figure out what to do, suddenly I just screamed at him (I didnt wanna go over in case he turned on me!) I shouted at him to stop and he did, he looked sad, his ears were slicked back like he knew he had done wrong and he skulked off miserably into the other room where I shut the door behind him.

Hes a big dog with a big mouth and sharp teeth so bfs hand was in a pretty bad state, hed caught the edge of his finger nail and ripped two teeth marks right down his index finger. He got it checked out at the hospital and they bandaged it all up for him.

When bfs Mum got home she was devastated, she loves the dog to bits but she says she cant keep a dog that bites and shes unsure what to do. People say that once a dog has bitten theyll do it again Im no dog expert so I have no idea what to think. If it was under normal circumstances Id think he was just nasty but considering his usual temperament and the fact that he wasnt well and bf was irritating him, how else is a dog supposed to tell you they want you to stop because they dont feel too good??? This was really out of character for him. Or am I just being soft and making excuses? Its really nothing to do with me as its not even my dog but I really care about him, hes usually such a sweet animal, but now I cant help feeling a little edgy around him.

What do you guys think, what would you do if this was your dog under these circumstances?
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Gold Member

Default Re: When Good Dogs Go BAD!!!

Sounds like your BF scared the dog. I did the same thing to my friend's cocker spaniel when I was drunk and almost had my nose bitten off! Think about it, when we're drunk we stink and act weird. Dogs study our faces when we approach them, when we are drunk, we don't look like ourselves. Since the Cocker incident, I stay away from my pets even though mommy is really "happy" to see them.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Thats what I think Monkey, but a few people have just assumed he'll be put down so I feel like we're doing something wrong when we tell them what happened, as if we're just making up excuses to cover it up! I think bf's mum is worried in case he does it again, then there'll be no excuse and she'll feel guilty that she let it happen and didn't do anything the first time it happened.

I am almost certain it was him letting bf know he wasn't in the mood because he was ill, its a little too much of a coinsidence, my bf wrestles roughly with the dog all the time, even when drunk and he usually loves it, the drunker, the wilder, the better for Raj! The only thing I am worried about is the fact that I hear once dog's hav drawn blood, no matter what the circumstances, their natural instinct is to do it again because it gives them some sort of power or something.

I still don't think I'll ever be able to be the same as I was with him, I use to lie on the floor with him and let him eat crisps from between my lips! Now I can't help picturing him latched on to bf's arm!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I have to agree with everyone else. Just because he bit the bf it doesn't signify anything more than he was hurting and sick so he did the only thing he knew how to make your man leave him alone.

Don't let it freak you out too much.

^^ I get a scowl from bf when I give the dog sympathy now and he just shoves his scabby hand in my face!!

My bf doesn't want the dog put down at all, he loves him to bits and he treats him just like he always did. And Raj's bowel movements and general condition has improved lately btw. I think he got rid of all that bad food on the living room!!

I did think what you guys have said I just wanted to see what you lot had to say about it. It was mainly a colleague who looked at me funny the other day that worried me. He said 'so you gettin the dog put down then?' and he looked shocked and a bit disgusted when I said no because it was out of character and he was ill blah blah blah.

But he's not really an animal lover anyway so what does he know?!

Thanks for your advice guys, heres a pic of the big (usually) softie

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    I can't count the times my cat bit me. And I can't be pissed at her... they were all my fault. I know when she doesn't want to be bothered and when I antagonize her, I should expect to be bitten!
    Or me my parrot! Should I put her down because she's bitten me while I'd done such things that piss her off like clip her nails? I don't think so, I know I'm going to get nipped if I piss her off.

Gold Member

My husband has been cut and bruised MANY times wrestling with our dog yet once he's healed and the dust has settled, he's back on the floor with dog wrestling AGAIN. I'm starting to think the man/dog wrestling thing is part of the male DNA.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

It sounds like you scared him (the drunk/high thing can freak dogs out) on top of him feeling like shit and probably being a little bit short-tempered.

Also, being drunk, the BF probably didn't recognize the "leave me alone, piss off" signs ol Raj was giving off. The dog is a german shepherd, if he wanted to do real damage he could have torn your BF's arm right off. This was a warning snap.

The fact that he looked appropriately penitent and guilty after snapping at the hand pretty much clears him, i think.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    being drunk, your bj just didn't realize when enough was enough, so the dog didn't really have many alternatives.
    Sorry Frank, I know this is a typo (although Dr Freud would disagree) but this just made my day

I agree with everyone else - leave the dog alone if he's sick and you are drunk.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The only dog I've known that didn't snap at anyone for anything was my ex's golden retreiver. You could do anything to that dog.. soak him, have kids climb all over him, brush him, play with him, pester him day and night and he'd still be just as happy and goofy no matter what.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

My dog, Dracko, will give warning signals, too, if he doesn't want to play. You know them and can read them - if you are SOBER, of course. One time my bf was pushing his buttons after coming home after a few drinks. I absolutely told him to leave the dog alone...Dracko didn't understand the different behavior. He's a shepherd, too, btw. Even my bf's son will sometimes hold Dracko's head for a long time and I tell him not to. I mean, damn it, they aren't a toy. A dog uses it's mouth as it's only line of defense. You don't know if he was truly afraid of your bf given his different behavior from having some drinks. You need to tell your bf to accept some responsibility in the situation as well. 'Course my bf would freak, too, and probably act the same way given the same situation. If the dog meant to go after him...more than just your bf's hand would have been cut up. I've seen my dog crush a golf ball!!! Understanding a dog's behavior is pretty easy and I'd say the dog was more than a little confused/annoyed by your bf's forcing him to play, esp when he didn't feel well.

The dog is a german shepherd, if he wanted to do real damage he could have torn your BF's arm right off.
    Thats exactly what bf said! If it really was just a vicious attack he would have done a lot more damage, I actually think my bf made the cut worse as he pulled his hand away (I know its an instant reaction) but his teeth got caught on the skin and ripped it.

Shepards have unusual good sense for a dog so if he bit the bf (bf not bj) then he obviously had good reason.

I'm not really a dog fan per se but I did have a close friend that had a German Shepard and that dog was wonderful and very gentle, except for one set of circumstances. The dog would lose his mind when he sensed that kids were being mistreated in any way. We would be in the commisary or the PX and some trailer trash mom would be yelling at her kids or jerking them around by the arm and Honey would start growling and have to be restrained.

We would go hiking in the nearby mountains two or three times a week when my son was a baby and afterwards go to my friend's home for tea and talk. I'd lay my son down on the middle of the bed for a nap and Honey would curl around him and lick his face. She loved little kids and I always felt it was safe because she was so protective of babies and little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    I'd lay my son down on the middle of the bed for a nap and Honey would curl around him and lick his face.
    But they lick their own arses

I'm not really a big dog person because I was badly attacked by one a few years ago, and still have a scar on my face from where it pinned me down and bit me. Then my friend was attacked by an Alsation about a year ago and had horredous puncture wounds in her thighs for ages after. I think that just established my own fear even further.

Both those dogs were put to sleep, but that's because they were out of control. The dog that attacked me had attacked three other people before, so in that case I *do* think it was right to have the dog put down. I used to really like dogs, but its made me realise you can never completely trust an animal, even more so if its not yours. I can just about cope with my boyfriend's Cairn Terrier, elliott, but even she scares me sometimes and she's tiny.

I don't think Raj seems like the kind of dog that needs to be put down though. As everyone else said, your boyfriend was probably just pissing him off.

Bella, trust me on this one, but toddlers frequently get into much more unsanitary circumstances than an ass licking dog licking them on the face. You just don't want to know. There have been a few times when I'd had to clean that kid off and I've been crying and whimpering and thinking that he'd be poisoned by something he did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information