Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kitten advice needed please

Default Kitten advice needed please

Is it time to go to the vet or am I over reacting??

My kitten is now 5 months old. I found her outside my office at 5 weeks old and my vet did advise that she may have some feral tendencies such as aggressive biting, which she has and we are working on those.

But my worry right now is she has been VERY aggressive with me lately, like breaking skin aggressive, crying/meowing a lot and chewing on random items like my paper towels. And just now, she went into the kitchen and peed. She has never gone anywhere but the litterbox since the day I brought her home (which is a miracle in it's self)

I thought maybe she was bored, so I bought every toy in Petco last week but that seems to have been a waste of money. She has stuck to her favorites and didnt seem to pay any attention to the new stuff.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal kitten behavior?

Thanks in advance

It sounds like she's bored all day and is taking it out on you when you get home. Being feral is an exciting life and I'm guesing she doesn't have enough to occupy her mind all day. Maybe a second cat? An older one to teach her some manners.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Has your kitten been fixed?
    If so, I had the same problem with the biting and my older cat took care of it. She needs socializing.
    Last edited by politesse; March 19th, 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Greys, great minds....

Is she spayed yet? If not - get it done NOW. It'll help calm her down.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

yup, my vote is getting her spayed. ASAP
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I had a kitten (almost 20 yrs ago now) who was VERY aggressive----bit me constantly. Should have seen the scratch marks on my arms---I looked like a freak. I literally couldn't touch her w/o her losing her shit. She was a bit feral and stuck in my apartment all day and night for 5 yrs. However, I do have to say that she COULD be nice and I was the ONLY person that could even get near her during this time. When I got married, we built our house and she was able to go outside for the first time.....she was a different cat. She never left our property, but she was in heaven. She lived to be 16 and to the day she died, she was MY cat. I put with a ton of shit from her, but I loved that damn cat and I know she loved me, in her own oddly aggressive way. Perhaps your cat just needs to get to know you better...it can take time.

The peeing thing though---that could be a UTI. The cat that I reference above got them every few years or so. There is special dry food that you can buy that won't bankrupt you, but if the peeing thing continues, I would take kitty to the vet, because it can get a lot worse. And while your there definitely discuss the aggression thing too.

Good luck! Before you know it, you'll have a lazy adult cat on your hands!

I had her spayed back in January!

A second cat isnt really on my to do list. I never planned on her, let alone a second one. But I also dont want to deprive her. I did have my previous cat Kitty for 18 years by herself and she was ok on her own, but I was a child when she was a kitten so I do not remember anything other than her being an old lazy cat, who just wanted brushed daily. I miss her.

I have come to terms with the normal biting, I just assumed she has my bitch attitude and we are two peas in a pod I know she likes me even though she would never admit it. If I'm home, she will only nap with me holding her. I type one handed most of the time, but that is the only time she lets me touch her. If she is in play mode, I can not pet her or brush her. She just wants me to throw toys at her so she can sit on them and hoard them. She is an odd duck.

It was the whole peeing thing that put me over the edge and made me post and question if there is something deeper I am missing.

did she pee or spray, like to mark her spot. is there another pet in the house or around the area? my cat even though she's fixed for 8 years will spray if some other cat sprays our place.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Getting a friend couldn't hurt. Just sayin' as the mommy of 8 furballs.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

she just went in the kitchen, squatted, looked at me and starting peeing. it was less than a teaspoon. The way she did it was kinda like a big F you.

I actually didnt know females could spray. No other pets and I have not been around any friend's or family's pets lately that she would have picked up a scent from.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    she just went in the kitchen, squatted, looked at me and starting peeing. it was less than a teaspoon. The way she did it was kinda like a big F you.

I actually didnt know females could spray. No other pets and I have not been around any friend's or family's pets lately that she would have picked up a scent from.
    That sounds like a UTI to me. Small amount, right in front of you as if she was trying to tell you.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

also, the first 1-2 years of a cats life are a lot more different than the rest of their years. they are way more active/playful/aggressive, it's just part of the energy of their youth. everytime i get a new kitten, i have to remind myself of this!

but yeah, maybe check if it is a uti, the peeing thing is not normal for a female who has been spayed.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I have dealt with feral cats, dear god, I have.

It is not an infection, if so it would be happening repeatedly. Cats can just be assholes. Is her catbox spotless, this could be her way of saying she won't deal with a cat box that isn't cleaned 2 or 3 times a day.

As far as spaying, even afterwards you may still get phantom heats, but she's too young for that to be the problem, as these usually occur in cats that gave birth to a litter or two before spaying.

Do you actually engage her with the toys? Something that yall do together, like a feather on a line type thing, a hunt it up game that you participate in?

Some cats can just be a bit off but it's also about knowing how much contact they're ready for. If she has feral tendencies you can't just grab her and make her chill in your lap, that kind of trust takes time. Also, at her age she may still attack your feet like a crazy kitten if she's not getting her energy spent, laser pointer? Try playing fetch with a crumpled sheet of notebook paper, I swear my most "psycho" cats could play some fetch.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Yes, litter box is spotless. I use Yesterday's new, which I LOVE...but Ramsay is really weird, if she poops, I must know. She only poops when I'm home and she has woken me from a dead sleep to get me to clean it. She will cry and cry until I follow her to her room. It took me a few weeks to figure this out, but she demands it removed and flushed immediately. lol

Yes, every morning and every afternoon, I sit down and play with her until I lose her attention. She loves to chew drinking straws so I have her chase those, she likes to "catch" toys and hoard them until I'm all out then I have to go steal them back from her. She LOVES water, so I fill up a bowl for her to splash in. I feel guilty for being gone all day so I give her as much one on one that she will take.

I called the Vet and she said to monitor the peeing situation the rest of the week and if it happens again to bring her in.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    she demands it removed and flushed immediately
    that's pretty demanding for a cat who used to be homeless...who does she think she is? i hope she doesn't have a UTI but it would be better than her just being bratty.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information