Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pet's remains- what did you do (or would you do) with them?

Default Pet's remains- what did you do (or would you do) with them?

Question: what did you all do with your pet's remains? Looking for some ideas and other's experiences.

I had her cremated and haven't been able to even look at it yet. I had my family pick the remains up, and just put it in a box so I could deal with it when I was ready.

I also have a really beautiful imprint of her paw that the vet did for me. I'll probably put it in a shadowbox or something. Or maybe not. Its a beautiful keepsake but I'm not sure I want it on my wall to make me sad all the time.

I don't want to linger on this. I don't want it to be a sad memorial. She was such a happy, loving dog and she could tell when others were sad- I know she wouldn't want anything that made me sad. I feel like a goof for saying that but yeah.

I like the IDEA of something that uses a bit of her ashes to make something artistic / a keepsake of some sort. Don't want to spend a lot of money though. And I don't think I want something that is huge. Some small little something, like a small knickknack would be about right- just a small memorial that only I know is there and made with a portion of her ashes you know? Anyone found any good vendors/sites/artists that do this sort of thing?

I looked online at some options but didn't find much- its mostly urns. Don't want to go that route.

After I settle on something, I'll probably scatter the rest of her remains, or have my family do it. Not sure. Maybe bury the remains in my mom's backyard?

When my father died, we planted a tree as a memorial to him and something like that could be nice too.

So really... just looking for ideas and to hear what others did with their beloved pet's remains.

We have one pet buried in a really lovely pet cemetary, complete with roaming peacocks.
    We have one (our favorite) buried deep in my rental property backyard. Illegal, but that gave my son comfort.
    My darling Ginger was cremated, I have her ashes in a pretty wooden casket with her name & dates. I keep it in my closet. I just like having her close & warm.
    You just have to decide what will comfort you the most. There are no wrong choices. Hugs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have a cat that I just adore. He's been my baby boy who sleeps on my hair every night for the past 15 years. I'll be beside myself with grief when he passes. I also have two dogs that mean the world to me - only 3yrs and 10 months - but when they each pass I am having them cremated and kept in the home. When my time comes, I'm going to be cremated and have plans to combine all of our ashes and be spread somewhere beautiful. I have always said in a field under a weeping willow tree (my favourite tree).

over the years we've handled it different ways, but with my cat, Monkey that passed away, we buried on our property. We live in the mountains, and she loved that she could run without having to worry about getting hit by cars, so i figured she'd appreciate my gesture.

I've got the grave lined with a small fence, decorations, stepping stones, and 3 cans of Fancy Feast (her fave). it makes me feel better.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

We dumped his body in a garbage bag and threw him in the bin. And that was that.

Cali I'm so, so sorry. After Boofy was euthanised (2nd December) the vet took him to a clinic where the pet crematorium could pick him up. The crematorium (Lawnswood) had a few options.

I chose a cherry wood box with the engraving: Boofy. My baby, eternally. The box is behind me on a bookshelf, with toy animals, a white candle and the certificate of cremation around it. I rent, so I want to keep him with me whereever/whenever I leave.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

My vet ONLY cremates, otherwise you pick up the remains and figure it out yourself. They also put the ashes in a little urn with the birth year, death year, and name on it which I find very thoughtful. I have remains of 3 cats in the same lovely, handmade wooden box as my mother's ashes and they're all in the living room. Ma liked cats; I never hear them fighting or anything so I figure it's pretty peaceful in there.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Buried them, cremation isn't an option here, unfortunately, for people or animals.

Anything that gives you some comfort, short of stuffing them, sounds fine to me.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Whatever you feel is best for you. Two of my cats we buried in my dad's backyard and ordered some grave markers (one of which some asshole stole). With my cat who just died a few months ago, we cremated him and got this pretty box with a slat for a photo, which I still haven't picked out because it breaks my heart to look at him. And we cremated one of my dogs.

Sometimes it's horrible owning pets, since they give so much love but die so soon.

Buried out behind the apple orchard. Give it a while and it's going to confuse the hell out of some archeologist.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Cali, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had my dog cremated and I got her ashes back in a small box that we were able to sprinkle from. When I was younger, we had some beautiful large bushes at the top end of our garden that she loved to doze under and dig holes/chew branches/try to catch bees and butterflies under etc! These bushes were dug up years and years ago but I decided that she loved them so much, and I had so many memories of the two of us playing around them, it would be nice to replant the same type of bushes and sprinkle her ashes in with the roots whilst planting.

We did this a few years ago and the bushes have now grown and flower beautifully. They are a lovely memorial for us. Sometimes when I touch the flowers/leaves I like to pretend I'm stroking her. (I know how utterly ridiculous that sounds but I don't care! ) There's something very peaceful and comforting to me in the idea that she's almost become a part of nature again.

This worked for us; I'm sure you'll think of something that works for you and your family.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Buried out behind the apple orchard. Give it a while and it's going to confuse the hell out of some archeologist.
    Yup the house I grew up in will confuse someone with the guinea pigs, lamb, cat and dog skeletons. All buried around a mandarin tree with their favourite toy or blanket.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by roslyntaberfan View Post
    Cali, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had my dog cremated and I got her ashes back in a small box that we were able to sprinkle from. When I was younger, we had some beautiful large bushes at the top end of our garden that she loved to doze under and dig holes/chew branches/try to catch bees and butterflies under etc! These bushes were dug up years and years ago but I decided that she loved them so much, and I had so many memories of the two of us playing around them, it would be nice to replant the same type of bushes and sprinkle her ashes in with the roots whilst planting.

We did this a few years ago and the bushes have now grown and flower beautifully. They are a lovely memorial for us. Sometimes when I touch the flowers/leaves I like to pretend I'm stroking her. (I know how utterly ridiculous that sounds but I don't care! ) There's something very peaceful and comforting to me in the idea that she's almost become a part of nature again.

This worked for us; I'm sure you'll think of something that works for you and your family.
    That was a beautiful idea.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My dog was cremated and his ashes are in a lovely urn in my home.

When Bella died in May.. I had her cremated, first time I've ever done this. All others were buried in the yard. I have her ashes in a cherry box on a shelf with 2 of my favorites pics of her and her collar hanging on one of the pictures.

My family took the paw print that came with her ashes and had a necklace made for me with it on it. I haven't taken it off since May.

Some other friends gave me a plant with different perennials in it, I planted them in the window box with an angel statue they got me under it.

Another friend made me dvd with a bunch of her pics on it to music.

It's crazy how they take over our worlds.. I still miss her everyday.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information