Thread: Heroic dog causes change in shelter policy

Thumbs up Heroic dog causes change in shelter policy

Heroic Dog Saves Woman from Abuser, Incites Change in Shelter Policy

January 12, 2012 |

When the Rose Brooks Center for women took in a domestic violence victim and her heroic dog, they bent the rules in doing so, setting the wheels in motion for a much needed change in policy.

Like most battered women’s shelters, the Rose Brooks Center did not accommodate pets. But this was no ordinary dog: when her boyfriend tried to kill the woman with a hammer, her fearless Great Dane jumped in the way, laying over her body and taking most of the blows until the man threw both of them out of a second story window. The dog suffered multiple broken bones in the attack, sparing his owner’s life in the process.

Despite their injuries, the woman was able to escape with her dog, and eventually made her way to the Rose Brooks Center. When they offered her a bed and told her no pets were allowed, she was defiant, and for the first time in its history, the shelter overlooked regulations and allowed the dog to stay.

That decision would eventually lead to a permanent change in policy. Knowing that forty percent of battered women with pets stay in abusive relationships in order to protect their pets, the center’s chief executive officer, Susan Miller, said adding a pet-friendly wing would remove a serious barrier that women face when attempting to leave an abuser. Miller was the one who had ultimately made the call to admit the woman and her dog.

“They provide so much comfort, and to have to leave that pet behind is so heartbreaking,” Miller said. “It has become abundantly clear that the incredible therapeutic benefits that pets can have on a family greatly outweigh the cost and inconvenience of housing them.”

The center is investing $140,000 in renovations that will add seven kennels, a walking trail and pet-friendly play area. Future victims of abuse in the Kansas City area will no longer have to choose between personal safety and the well-being of their four-legged loved ones, a change that shelter officials believe will save lives.

Miller points out that none of this would have been likely were it not for the fierce devotion of a pet and the unwavering love of the woman he saved, and that there was just no way she could turn the two away.
    “She was not going to leave her pet alone with him,” she said. “He saved her life.”
    video at source: Heroic Dog Saves Woman from Abuser, Incites Change in Shelter Policy | Life With Dogs

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Awww good doggy. Glad the system was changed as they're each other's best therapies.
    Go Habs Go!!

That's a great story.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That's great. I remember reading that statistic before and wasn't surprised. It was believed that so many people stayed behind during Katrina because of their pets. After katrina, the Red Cross shelters changed their pet policy. I stayed behind on Miami Beach during evacuations because I couldn't take my pets.

That dog is truly a hero. Great story!
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

What a great dog. So brave.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Anyone know what happened to the abusive shithead with the hammer? 'Cause I gotta shovel somewhere...

Dogs are awesome pets. Brave doggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Anyone know what happened to the abusive shithead with the hammer? 'Cause I gotta shovel somewhere...
    I wanna help! He is the lowest scum ever.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Awww what a good pup.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Elite Member

This story made me tear up a little bit. What a awesome dog.

What a wonderful dog

Thread Information